THREE models backing out of shoots within ONE week -.- Grrr.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Melody-Love

Nov 22, 2007
Singapore East
www.estherxie.sg
As a shoot organiser, there are many pros and cons to the job.

I get satisfaction from participants who are happy with the shoot and go home from the shoot smiling and then joining again for my next shoot.

The downside to it? I feel stressed and worried Every Single Day of the Week.

Now that i just restart my organising status after resting for only 2 months, i already remembered why i quitted in the first place.

Within ONE week, i received THREE models who backout.
And all 3 are high-profile popular models (who are usually the ones bringing in the participants).

When they backout, it affects the shoot greatly, and i have trouble finding a model of the same calibre and rates. Even then, number of photographers who withdraw due to the model who backed out, usually makes me really sad. A shoot can have 10 participants, and then shrink to 2 within a night.

Not only that, i feel super paisei to keep changing models for the shoots! Also, my reputation would be affected and people would think twice before supporting my shoots.

i would be very pissed about the broken promise, but i can't bring myself to fully blame some of the models. Although some give very stupid excuses, some give genuine excuses like "family is bringing her for holiday" - which i cant do anything about it. Sometimes even models with a clean history would back out on me last minute because of some circumstances i can't control. Am i suay or what?

Well, at least the models backed out earlier.
But i have nightmares all the time about models backing out really last minute. Like after i booked the hotel room, or just 10 hours before the shoot. (yes, all that happened to me more than once before). What if the model is genuinely sick?

What if 3 models hired for the shoot, one says sick, another one says sore eye, i can't possibly replace all 2 out of 3 models and present a completely different shoot as advertised right?

What do i do when that happens? I really want to know what other organisers do about such situation.

I understand that sometimes photographers join for a particular model, and if that model is missing on day of shoot, they would be very unpleased, even if i get a prettier model to replace - Because they had already set their mind to shoot that former model.

Any suggestions how i can stop all this?

I thought of doing a "if you back out after agreeing you have to pay the damages" system but that would discourage models from doing my shoots.

I also thought of starting a "my blacklisted models" thread. But then that would be quite unfair to models with genuine problems.

:(
Demoralised.

You see, im trying my best but i keep receiving such problems that i can't control. Sigh.

I get satisfaction from participants who are happy with the shoot and go home from the shoot smiling and then joining again for my next shoot.

Now that i just restart my organising status after resting for only 2 months, i already remembered why i quitted in the first place.

And all 3 are high-profile popular models (who are usually the ones bringing in the participants).

When they backout, it affects the shoot greatly, and i have trouble finding a model of the same calibre and rates. Even then, number of photographers who withdraw due to the model who backed out, usually makes me really sad. A shoot can have 10 participants, and then shrink to 2 within a night.

Not only that, i feel super paisei to keep changing models for the shoots! Also, my reputation would be affected and people would think twice before supporting my shoots.

i would be very pissed about the broken promise, but i can't bring myself to fully blame some of the models. Although some give very stupid excuses, some give genuine excuses like "family is bringing her for holiday" - which i cant do anything about it. Sometimes even models with a clean history would back out on me last minute because of some circumstances i can't control. Am i suay or what?

But i have nightmares all the time about models backing out really last minute. Like after i booked the hotel room, or just 10 hours before the shoot. (yes, all that happened to me more than once before). What if the model is genuinely sick?

What if 3 models hired for the shoot, one says sick, another one says sore eye, i can't possibly replace all 2 out of 3 models and present a completely different shoot as advertised right?

What do i do when that happens? I really want to know what other organisers do about such situation.

I understand that sometimes photographers join for a particular model, and if that model is missing on day of shoot, they would be very unpleased, even if i get a prettier model to replace - Because they had already set their mind to shoot that former model.

I thought of doing a "if you back out after agreeing you have to pay the damages" system but that would discourage models from doing my shoots.

I also thought of starting a "my blacklisted models" thread. But then that would be quite unfair to models with genuine problems.

Demoralised.

You see, im trying my best but i keep receiving such problems that i can't control. Sigh.

Sometime models think they are so great. It's time photographer's taught them a lesson. Don't worry too much. Sometimes, the small time models can do better than these stuck up BIT*H*S.

Cheer up.

GMAN

Sometime models think they are so great. It's time photographer's taught them a lesson. Don't worry too much. Sometimes, the small time models can do better than these stuck up BIT*H*S.

Cheer up.

GMAN

Perhaps this could be presented in better words? :dunno:

There are risk in every trade.......

Perhaps this could be presented in better words? :dunno:
Err. Maybe when it came to the term Models, i just hated it with the experience i had. Haha. Sorry bro!

GMAN

Name them lor. Then they will know they cannot anyhow back out.

From a participants' POV, let me tell you that if a model backs out, and that model is the one I want to shoot, there is a high chance that I'll cancel my slot as well.

Demoralised.

do any of you people think there should be a Cheers 'n' Jeers section in the Photoshoot Forum?

that after it has been proven that the black sheeps are indeed irresponsible, name them! :devil:

Demoralised.

i understand and feel your pain.

May be good to tell us who "X" is :) That is one serious piece of aeroplane she is flying.

Sorry to hear that Esther. As for my experience, even when I was tfcd-ing or unofficianlly organising, I was lucky to never have a single model backing out at any one time, save for once. For you, I always knew I can count on you too, when shooting you for a few times.

I think building closer ties by chatting with them more and clicking with them works, before any shoot. Meeting them up helps too, to discuss, but not necessarily.

My one bad experience was meeting up with this new hopeful X for lunch chat. Lunch at 1.30pm, she was supposed to be in the bathroom at that time, came out only at 4.30 (!!???). On the shoot day, waited for her at carpark from 1pm-6.30 and at 6.30pm the shoot finally start! So fine nevermind, gave her another chance... PAYING her around 160bucks for a personal casual fashion, meeting her at 5.30pm at Chinatown, she closed her hp, can't get her, no reply, I waited until 11.30pm!!! Didn't come. She apologised franticly at 1am

Honestly I don't understand why the trolls are making noises on my threads. I'm bringing nice models (more to come) and people together to shoot models that are otherwise too expensive to get. And often, from my own pocket/expense too. Shame on you. Unpop? Heck care, I'm a shooter like you and me.

Perhaps we should have a registration system for the models in the services offered section, or allow organizers to leave comments in the model's threads. And we should rename them to stewardesses.

Some of this model simply have no sense of professionalism :angry:
I also think its due to the fact that most are freelancers and therefore no one to control them like an agency would...

You'll be surprised that an agency does not have as much powers as you like to believe. I've encountered agency models who also flew the coop.

Some of this model simply have no sense of professionalism :angry:
I also think its due to the fact that most are freelancers and therefore no one to control them like an agency would...

Demoralised.

Do not be demoralized .... take this as a good learning ground for your career's foundation.
In the real world, such things happen everyday, everywhere, and anyhow.
Have faith, and slowly you will find your own solution.
Look at Charby, he has more models to handle and yet he never fails in the delivery ..... :think:

You need to be a wild dog to survive in the human trade ....:rolleyes:

May be good to tell us who "X" is :) That is one serious piece of aeroplane she is flying.
so many pilots ... maybe they are from the same airlines? :think:

This issue has been brought up many times. And i think this problem is growing as every second passes.

Anyone talked to the forum admin to discuss on this? I think that would be more effective rather than just getting opinions (which may or may not impose restrictions on the models you work with).

Do not be demoralized .... take this as a good learning ground for your career's foundation.
In the real world, such things happen everyday, everywhere, and anyhow.
Have faith, and slowly you will find your own solution.
Look at Charby, he has more models to handle and yet he never fails in the delivery ..... :think:

You need to be a wild dog to survive in the human trade ....:rolleyes:

i'm sure he will have his stories to tell too. :sweatsm:

Name them lor. Then they will know they cannot anyhow back out.
from what we are reading here, maybe all the CS models will appear in the "blacklisted models" list ..:dunno: then which one you will choose?

from what we are reading here, maybe all the CS models will appear in the "blacklisted models" list ..:dunno: then which one you will choose?

:bsmilie::bsmilie:

Perhaps we should have a registration system for the models in the services offered section, or allow organizers to leave comments in the model's threads. And we should rename them to stewardesses.

Stewardesses...nah. Female pilots are a rare breed. So we commission them the A380 for them to fly. Other wise the other option for the frequent pilot miles, we will commission the Boeing Dreamliner.

On a more serious note though. I believe that as photographers on CS, if we leave good comments on the models thread, it serves two purposes: 1) it gives other CSers an indication of whom has taken snaps of them before, 2) it serves as a form of encouragement for the models and 3) it gives them the exposure they need for some of them (though some are wayyyyyyy over-exposed on CS).

However, since the issue here is models flaking off and the fact here is photogs and organisers alike face the same issue and problem, though of a different magnitude and scope. Why not both organiser and photog start a thread in the Consumers Corner, for a start to highlight the models that they have worked with and are good?

The pilots, need not mention nor list. If anyone wants to engage a model say X, who flys nothing but the Dreamliner, can put up a request for info on the model. Those who have taken that model before can either PM the photog, or if really need be post on the thread?

Rather than just sit and talk, why not rally up and get something done?

This is to models:

Likewise, you can actually start your own thread on the consumers corner. Highlight the organisers and photogs who are really good not only in terms of photo-taking, but at the same time, how they actually treat you during and after the shoot? Does the photog deliver, say if he promises you the photos, does he actually deliver?

Note that the above is highlight the good ones, at least we know who they are. If a blacklist is needed, we must handle it with care and due diligence, lest we get ourselves into a sticky mess. I am all for a blacklist, but at the same time, I believe that the good ones should get a little more highlight and attention as well.

Feel free to voice out on the above as it is just a suggestion.:)

Note to mods: Mods to have a thread like that in the Consumers Corner, will it be valid?

Last edited:

Ahem, you mean CS XMM? Let's just say there won't be ANY shortage of XMMs any time soon.

Models? You don't need all 10 digits to count the professional models here.

Status
Not open for further replies.