Thread on lighting 'paradox'

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dream Merchant

Staff member
Jan 11, 2007
What happened to it? Did a fracas break out or something? It was created by Priscilia yesterday, and had some very good replies in it, especially the very informative posts by Jed.

IMO, it would be a shame for a lot of members if such crucial information is lost.

Yeahh i couldn't find it now :confused:

Good thread to read

I tried doing a search and it seems that the entire thread may have been deleted.

I hope Jed can post up his replies regarding sensor response, dynamic range, EV and how lighting conditions may affect the way a sensor responds again.

It contained crucial information that would be helpful to a lot of folks.

Yeahh i couldn't find it now :confused:

Good thread to read

Yeah , not sure why and how it was deleted . Wonder can the Mods restore it back or something

Oh, what a waste. Learnt quite alot of new stuff from that thread.

That is strange. Why TS deleted her own thread? :think:

Records show that the thread was deleted by the threadstarter hereself unfortunately.

Oh dear.

We can only wonder why, since there was nothing inflammatory or anything negative in the thread.

In fact, I'm sure many share my view that it was an excellent thread and very informative.

Jed, if you're reading this, could you share what you did in your answers, please?

CHEERS!

Hi guys, saw the original thread and got me thinking.

Suppose i have a scene where dynamic range is greater than what my camera can handle, i end up with jet blacks and blinkies.

My question is, can i just use ND filters (not the grad type) to reduce contrast and compress dynamic range into something my camera can handle? In other words, ND filter as a substitute for HDR, ND grad, etc.

It seems based on the way sensors react to light, this is possible. Someone correct me if i'm wrong.

What happened to it? Did a fracas break out or something? It was created by Priscilia yesterday, and had some very good replies in it, especially the very informative posts by Jed.

IMO, it would be a shame for a lot of members if such crucial information is lost.

yeah i read the first post, wanted to read more to find out what it was actually about then it seems to have disappeared.

i saw something about 18% grey, etc.

My question is, can i just use ND filters (not the grad type) to reduce contrast and compress dynamic range into something my camera can handle? In other words, ND filter as a substitute for HDR, ND grad, etc.

It seems based on the way sensors react to light, this is possible. Someone correct me if i'm wrong.
i didn't see what jed posted, but i don't think nd filters actually help with DR.

...now the TS is going to write a book on paradox of blacks and blinkies.

undeleted the thread and warned the TS not to do this cuz it's rude.

i didn't see what jed posted, but i don't think nd filters actually help with DR.

It wasn't about ND or GND filters, but I think more about sensor response and behavior and dynamic range in real world conditions ... with technical specifics. And I think Jed mentioned some other stuff which I can't recall.

Some other members offered the crucial input that an 18% grey was only a starting point, and not as I would call it, a be-all-and-end-all.

It's an interesting topic, and certainly one of the better (I would add: very pertinent) threads as of late ...

EDIT: CLOWN = HERO!!!!!

undeleted the thread and warned the TS not to do this cuz it's rude.

:thumbsup::thumbsup: Thanks for reviving the thread @@:)

np. I feel there's much for forumers to learn from the exchanges in that thread, plus it's not polite to delete the whole thing when a TS decides he/she isnt interested in the answer anymore.

anyway this thread will be closed cuz its served its purpose.

Status
Not open for further replies.