Those Window OS PDA phones always hang?

Status
Not open for further replies.

TrailsofLife

Jul 6, 2004
Singapore
Hello guys,
Thinking of getting a PDA phone, so I started reading reviews and searching for bargains for 2nd-hand ones. I realised I've read alot of user complaints saying their phone hang alot. Most are running on those Window Mobile.

Is it true? Whats a good value for money pda phone? Any recommendations or shop?

seen very good review for HP6828,not sure how good.
I used before an dell axim x51v.

Wah that means not recommendable to use a pda phone....

Want to use it to help me remember all those wedding dates and appointments....

My memory failing lah...old liao...

my pda phone was on WM 2003SE, perhaps that OS more unstable.
unsure of WM5. but i heard the problem still exists, probably lesser only.

The problem with WM2003 or WM5 is that it's inherently stable but due to the customisation by the respective vendors that's mostly where the screw ups happens, also there's very limited application that are tried and tested.

And another culprit is MS outlook itself. The outlook data is pretty fragile and the activesync is firewall "unfriendly".

I'm using Dell Axim X51v since it's first launched (firmware v1) it wasn't until v6 update that the bugs were sorted out. However, for myself, I searched a few PDA forums and learned to tweak my PDA thus, not much issue for me.

I'm also using 6818... my issue with it is that the processor too slow for such a pdaphone and the software is poorly written. There were a couple of common hardware issues for the 68xx series too. :thumbsd:

Actually I just need calendar, task, sync to my laptop...and lazy to carry phone and pda at the same time...thats why looking into this option...

I was looking at a o2 mini...so far...but review also not happening...any o2 mini user care to share your experience?

The problem with WM2003 or WM5 is that it's inherently stable but due to the customisation by the respective vendors that's mostly where the screw ups happens, also there's very limited application that are tried and tested.

And another culprit is MS outlook itself. The outlook data is pretty fragile and the activesync is firewall "unfriendly".

I'm using Dell Axim X51v since it's first launched (firmware v1) it wasn't until v6 update that the bugs were sorted out. However, for myself, I searched a few PDA forums and learned to tweak my PDA thus, not much issue for me.

I'm also using 6818... my issue with it is that the processor too slow for such a pdaphone and the software is poorly written. There were a couple of common hardware issues for the 68xx series too. :thumbsd:

so much problem ah.....!:bigeyes:

Actually I just need calendar, task, sync to my laptop...and lazy to carry phone and pda at the same time...thats why looking into this option...

I was looking at a o2 mini...so far...but review also not happening...any o2 mini user care to share your experience?

Unless you'll want a very BIG phone or you wan a very small calender that's hard to to input on the fly. ;)

so much problem ah.....!:bigeyes:

Dell X51v pretty good. They sorted out most of the issues liao, except the Odessy wi-fi manager.... it really stinks . Juz take note of 3rd party software that might conflict with each other.

My first experience with PDA phone was a let down... HP6818. But no choice.. got stuck with it for the next 2 years. However, I see a trend of instability across all smartphones as software gets more complex.

Rumor is that Dell might be improving the their PDA line this year... in line with M$ improved WM to match Vista OS. If you want the latest and fastest and is able to wait... these would be out by 07.

So far, I think dopod got the "best" reviews among the worst....ha ha

Dell X51v pretty good. They sorted out most of the issues liao, except the Odessy wi-fi manager.... it really stinks . Juz take note of 3rd party software that might conflict with each other.

My first experience with PDA phone was a let down... HP6818. But no choice.. got stuck with it for the next 2 years. However, I see a trend of instability across all smartphones as software gets more complex.

Rumor is that Dell might be improving the their PDA line this year... in line with M$ improved WM to match Vista OS. If you want the latest and fastest and is able to wait... these would be out by 07.
What i heard is the opposite,last year i heard they are not going to release any more PDAs after x51v.

My experience with PDA phones are that they always hang up on me every couple of days... now awaiting for O2 Flame... ;p

Wah...like dat every time must upgrade ah? I normally use my thing until it die one leh....

get a treo 650 or 680.

What i heard is the opposite,last year i heard they are not going to release any more PDAs after x51v.

What I mentioned was pretty much unconfirmed too... juz some leaks . Juz like Canon replacement cam... expected to be replaced but not much heard.

The x51v was expected to be replaced then... but it didn't happen and no-sound-no-pic from Dell... so rumor spread saying they are halting PDA development. Pretty logical as the PDA price was slashed nearly half in 6-8 month after launch. People thinking dell is taking loss from the PDA.

Anyway the replacement is rumored to be "refined" x51v in line with "WM6" installed. Not sure what advancement to be made other than more memory..etc. Mabbe Dell is pulling a 20D-30D stunt similar to Canon. :think:

So far, I think dopod got the "best" reviews among the worst....ha ha

dopod specs are good. however their service center (should you need it) "sux". Best is HP... but it's still far from Canon service center standard.

i have an ex-coll who bought it few months back. she complained that it does hang

Status
Not open for further replies.