Those who shoot indoor events pls come in

sin77

Nov 28, 2004
Could you kindly share your comments to my queries below?

1. Most of the time do you use colour gel for flash?
2. Do you always do custom white balance?
3. How many sets of custom white balance you usually need or set before the event start?
4. For group photo under hotel room incandescent light, what is your technique of setting custom white balance and what are your tools to do so?
5. Do you normally standby extra flashes mainly for wireless trigger?
6. Do you often change lenses?
7. Do you use one or two cameras?
8. If you have two cameras, do you attach two flashes at the same time?

Thanks.

3. How many sets of custom white balance you usually need or set before the event start?
4. For group photo under hotel room incandescent light, what is your technique of setting custom white balance and what are your tools to do so?

Thanks.

1. No need gel filter
2.Just set to A.
3. See 2.
4.Bounce SB900 with white card, ev+1 iso 2500.
5.No. No time , no need.
6.Seldom. change to 80-200 only for speech at stage rostrum. other than that use 24-120.
7.Two but always on 1 body, 1 more standby in bag.
8.Yes, save time when failure to 1st body happens or runs out of flash battery.

You need to invest in 17-50 f2.8 Tamron bcos in events coverage need to shoot and run especially if u are covering president of singapore, pm, and ministers at functions. no time to change lens. u need a good zoom like 11-16mm for group shoots and crowd shoots to show how successful event was with large crowds.

Im using D3 so there is noise control in high iso.

Last edited:
2. Set to white balance to Auto, tweak the it in PP.
4. Wide angle lens mounted on camera with flash pointed 45 deg upwards, f8, iso 2000
6. Yes, mostly a wide angle lens on my camera. Change to another lens (24-70 or 70-200) if the subject is too far..
7. Brought 2 cameras to many events, most of the time, second body ended up not being in used or less used, so now I always use 1.

I'm assuming you mean a "deliver on the spot" event where there's little or no time for PP...

1. Most of the time do you use colour gel for flash? - Depends on the desired outcome. Usually just use a lightshere.
2. Do you always do custom white balance? - I set to Flash WB (unless I'm using a gel/colored cap then I custom WB)
3. How many sets of custom white balance you usually need or set before the event start? - None or one.
4. For group photo under hotel room incandescent light, what is your technique of setting custom white balance and what are your tools to do so? - no tools, my built-in WB custom auto-set is accurate.
5. Do you normally standby extra flashes mainly for wireless trigger? - yeah, 1-2.
6. Do you often change lenses? - no
7. Do you use one or two cameras? - 2
8. If you have two cameras, do you attach two flashes at the same time? - yeah, but doesn't mean they're switched on

Last edited:
Very good sharing from peers, thank you and park here for more

For incandescent downlight or spotlight in false ceiling, I noticed if I don't use yellow colour gel and set custom WB for the flash, the faces of group photo would have strong yellow cast. Some people might look normal and some people look yellowish. To use colour gel, this means I need 2 custom WB; one for flash, one without flash. This is for one location only. If got 2 nearby locations or 2 different lighting conditions, this means I need 4 custom WB.

As for setting custom WB for flash for group photo, I wonder how you all do it?
I was thinking of using a white tee shirt or mahjong paper and ask assistant hold it at 5m away for me to capture.
Because sometimes nobody wear white and then a white card is too small to aim for WB when far away.
Wondering if anyone do that too?

And If say you are using flash for group photo, would you use low iso between 400 to 800 or use high iso 1600 to 3200?

Last edited:
sin77 said:
For incandescent downlight or spotlight in false ceiling, I noticed if I don't use yellow colour gel and set custom WB for the flash, the faces of group photo would have strong yellow cast. Some people might look normal and some people look yellowish. To use colour gel, this means I need 2 custom WB; one for flash, one without flash. This is for one location only. If got 2 nearby locations or 2 different lighting conditions, this means I need 4 custom WB.

I was thinking of using a white tee shirt or mahjong paper and ask assistant hold it at 5m away for me to capture.
Because sometimes nobody wear white and then a white card is too small to aim for WB when far away.

And If say you are using flash for group photo, would you use low iso between 400 to 800 or use high iso 1600 to 3200?

For the white balance, try to find it at the eyes or teeth.

Group photo, meter the background then fill with flash. Usually mine goes to at least 1600 for iso. Rarely 3200, cos it will be too noisy on my camera body

Thanks.

1. Never
2. Sometimes
3. usually one if i do custom. Most of the time none.
4. Switch to Tungsten WB.
5. No time for wireless triggers or off camera flashes in events.
6. Most of the time on 24-70. once in a while I use 16-35 or 70-200.
7. Two.
8. none of the flashes are attached until I need them. Most of the time I shoot ambient. If I do need flash it will only be on my main body. The spare will be in the bag when if and when I need it.

Last edited:
No, but half the time. It depends on the venue.

No. Auto. Only in a few very specific location that have severe white balance issues that I go into specific Custom Kelvins specification. I dont do the white card or lenscap thing because I have no control and the camera is doing the estimation and it is not accurate because it is created by people sitting in labs thinking the white balance remains constant in every single spot of the room every single second of the time, which doesn't happen in real situations. Flourescents flickers every miliseconds and location effects spotlights are heavily colored, very strong and they farkingly rotates.

You think too much.

A flash dominant exposure is always consistent in white balance. Cut the ambient and up the flash power. This is why events guys use flash, power packs and zooms vs the 1.4 primes.

Extra flash on standby for normal usage. Not for wireless trigger especially if you are in a big event where there are other official photographers around (different paymaster, the media, etc), don't be a showoff with the fancy stuff nobody appreciate that. If you are in a event where you are the only official photogr, do what you want. Events are often too fast moving for you to manage all that anyway. Speedlights are too weak for big venue, monolights are too big scale for you to manage unless you have a production team to command.

No. Slow. Main reason most event shooters are zoom guys.

One camera most of the time the other stays in the bag. Big events when a tele is needed, then 2.

Depends. No harm having it on for the flexibility. Don't want flash can always switch off. Already carrying so much what is another 400grams for the flexibility in case the ambient sucks again you can flash it.

Last edited:
sin77 said:

Usually I use the white balance cap instead for custom wb. Just get the 77mm size n place it in front of any lens n calibrate. Portable n light weight.

Thanks.

you better define what kind of event shoot you are referring to,

fashion show at shopping mall is event shoot
cosplay convention is event shoot
kid birthday party is event shoot
ROM ceremony is even shoot
wedding day is also event shoot
MP walkabout is also event shoot
kindergarten graduation and concert is also event shoot
product launch is also event shoot
company family day at zoo, park also event shoot
company DnD is also event shoot
funeral/ wake service is also event shoot
and so many and many and many are all event shoot

different kinds of shoot need different kinds of approach, you can't use one fix all.

Not all people have experience with so many different kinds of event shoots. Based on whatever they shot before lor.

Moreover, I did state indoor event and some questions I mentioned hotel room incandescent light.

Last edited:
I have photography weddings in many ballrooms, not all ballrooms are the same, so you still can't use one setting fix all, you have deal with them differently.

I was looking towards methodologies or techniques rather than very specific settings.

I think a lot of people gave you replies. Hope those helped you.

I was looking towards methodologies or techniques rather than very specific settings.

invalid request
please try again NOT

This is one of the meaningful thread i have seen in cs .... As a newbie.
More of these please... Seniors.

Btw, i shoot indoor event too but foc for my company events ... Force to be csr volunteer ..

Last edited:
sin77 said:

Thanks.

Just for fun ..

1. No
2. No. My flash is always on indoor or outdoor.
3. Na
4. Na. I use flash, so i guess cwb is not critical.
5. No. One man operation only. So, on-camera fill flash always.
6. No. A 24-105 or 24-70 is all i need. Unless i know i need to shoot in mrt train or very tight space, then 16-35.
7. One, because i cannot afford two! And it is not a paid job. No SLA.
8. Na

Last edited:
1. No
2. No
3. None
4. Set to tungsten WB
5. Events are fast moving, no time for off cam flash
6. No, mostly on 24-70.
7. 2 cams. Main cam on hand, 2nd in holster
8. No, flash is on main body only.

Seem like many events people are really zoom people. I'll chip in my part here.

1. Most of the time do you use colour gel for flash? If you want to balance the lighting, yes. If your style is flash-heavy, then no need. My style is to try and balance the colors.
2. Do you always do custom white balance? Yes, but depending on the kinds of lights, I will try and see if any presets fit first.
3. How many sets of custom white balance you usually need or set before the event start? For me, if I can do without flash at all, every venue one custom WB.
4. For group photo under hotel room incandescent light, what is your technique of setting custom white balance and what are your tools to do so? There will always be someone wearing white. But consider #1 too.
5. Do you normally standby extra flashes mainly for wireless trigger? Agree with most of them that there is no time for wireless, unless you are VERY familiar with it.
6. Do you often change lenses? Yes. I shoot events using primes. So far, I'm quite happy with a 20mm, 50mm, and 85mm. I'll have a 35mm too, but either this or the 50mm will get neglected. I manage to change my lenses pretty fast. Of course, judgement is crucial. If something is going on already, don't change lenses unless you already have a satisfactory shot to document that item.
7. Do you use one or two cameras? One camera only.
8. If you have two cameras, do you attach two flashes at the same time? Again, depends on your style. If I were to have 2 cameras, one would be a zoom with flash, one would be a fast lens without flash.

By the way, the kind of events I take are weddings.