Those familiar with liquor prices pls help...

Status
Not open for further replies.

boroangel

Apr 23, 2005
Hi guys, wondering if any experts could help me here as I dont drink. My frd is selling me the following liquor and he dont want to quote me price, just ask me to pay whatever, less than those at DFS also can. I tried to find outthe prices for some

1. Courvoiser XO Imperial Cognac 70 CL( $50 to 70 in Yahoo auctions)
2. 70 CL Cognac Otard VSOP ($50 in Yahoo auctions)
3. Martell Gordon Bleu 1L ( DFS Changi selling at $168)

I am thinking of paying $50, $50, $150 for the above three. The liquor he already pass to me liao. So $250 for the abvoe is it ok anot? Too much or too little? Those in the know pls advise. Thanks:confused:

Just out of curiosity, is there a way to check the age of the liquor, cos I heard the older the better. I tried to see the whole bottle but cant find any production date.

boroangel said:
Just out of curiosity, is there a way to check the age of the liquor, cos I heard the older the better. I tried to see the whole bottle but cant find any production date.
Generally, the older the better. Said to be more mature, tasted more concentrated and the color is darker with a higher acidic base. For these kind of aged liquor (assuming more than 20 years old), basically you can't drink it, rather sipping it, becos it can "burn" the tongue.

Any liquor more than 30 years old (assuming the correct way of storing) needs to be re-corked. Else run the risk of having the cork disintegrated and contaminating the liquor. Also if air gets into the bottle, then the liquor will be spoilt.

Price $250 for all three liquor? Should be ok as long as it's below the DFS price.

He doesn't know the age of the liquor also...which means we cant identify from the bottle itself? I mean I m nto a drinker but I love to collct all these different kinds of elegant nice looking bottles.

For the first 2 liquors, cant find the price in the DFS so I tried to look at the auctions to have a rough gauge. Dilemna. No income actually, still only a student and hes already working. Wondering if I should offer lower...but seems a bit paiseh leh...cos in the first place I dont want to buy but he needs to sell so I decided no harm getting from him...if offer anyhign from 200 to 249 looks a bit strange..........

Depending on you and your friend "kum cheng"....if he is good friend and in needs of money then pay him slightly more also as a goodwill :thumbsup:

If just a normal friend then you can test him with $200 first since you are in no hurry....see what is the response first :D

Er actually.....the liquor is already at my home liao.....then he just ask me to pay him whatever I think i is appropriate....ZZZ.....like that make it difficult....normal acquaintance...$250 seems a lot...and I was only really keen on the Gordon Bleu...then $200 seems too little...then give him $220 to $230 also a bit funny...hai...

boroangel said:
Er actually.....the liquor is already at my home liao.....then he just ask me to pay him whatever I think i is appropriate....ZZZ.....like that make it difficult....normal acquaintance...$250 seems a lot...and I was only really keen on the Gordon Bleu...then $200 seems too little...then give him $220 to $230 also a bit funny...hai...
What's the heck? Just give him $200 and forget about it. Since you say he's just a normal acquaintance, don't bother cracking your brain to probe into whether the price is appropriate or not. Chances are, you probably will "pay" him back somehow next time in term of this favors that he did for you. So thick-skin about it and move on.

boroangel said:
$200 is just right...

eric69 said:
What's the heck? Just give him $200 and forget about it. Since you say he's just a normal acquaintance, don't bother cracking your brain to probe into whether the price is appropriate or not. Chances are, you probably will "pay" him back somehow next time in term of this favors that he did for you. So thick-skin about it and move on.

Then give him $218....lucky number :lovegrin:

I think $200 is about right. Reason being that u do not really know the conditions of these liquor. While it is difficult to check the cork, perhaps see whether any sign of leakage or dampness at the cap area. So share the risk a bit. If they are found to be ok, you can buy him a treat later on. Unless your friend is prepared to say that he will pay u back if any of the bottle is spoilt.

Actually, VSOP and XO connotes how long they have been aged in barrels before bottling. So, in terms of aging, XO is longer than VSOP. And of course, Gordon Bleu is the best of the lot you have there.

BTW, I suppose u know that these are cognac, and unlike the good old days, they are not so commonly drank in Singapore nowadays (like weddings etc).

IMHO, even $250 is a good price. Anyway you already got the liquor, so no point think too much. It's drinking time!!!

KIA, LIM JIU!!!

:gbounce: :rbounce: :gbounce:

$250 is a good price. :)

$250 shd be good. but then i dun think cognacs can be aged? not too sure, but heard from my dad that the ageing is only possible when it is stored in the oak barrels back at the brewery. once bottled and corked, the ageing stops. not too sure. i just do the drinking only! TAH!!!!

Ok, I think I will pay $250...I think this price is still better than what you can get outside...even at the DFS Changi with special privilege cards? Think privilege got around 30%? Actually all these liqour are from his home which were on display only.

In any case, hes actually in need of money...so $200 is a bit too little...

But I dont drink lah...just like to collect...

So no one knows whether we can check a date of any particular liquor from the bottle? Love collecting those special edition ones available once in a while.

boroangel said:
Ok, I think I will pay $250...I think this price is still better than what you can get outside...even at the DFS Changi with special privilege cards? Think privilege got around 30%? Actually all these liqour are from his home which were on display only.

In any case, hes actually in need of money...so $200 is a bit too little...

But I dont drink lah...just like to collect...

So no one knows whether we can check a date of any particular liquor from the bottle? Love collecting those special edition ones available once in a while.

You don't have a drink, just post a "Lim Jiu Outiing" thread, bring your 3 bottles, invite about 10 pax (include me of course!) , we'll help you to justify if that $250 is worth it. ;p

ZZZZZzzzzzzzzzzzzz...........hahaha:cheers:

anyway...if anyone knows about how to check date of liquor pls let me know...

Status
Not open for further replies.