Thom's 2006 prediction.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Pretty interesting, and I believe very true. The DSLR market will only have 3 major players Nikon, Canon & Olympus; and Pentax should move up to the DMedium Format, while the rest should focus on feature enrichment digicam.
Sometimes I wonder why would anyone invest hugh sums of money to fight a non-winnable marketing war?

Didn't know that Oly is No 3. I thought KM is No 3 based on my casual observation. I have always got high regard for Minolta. Remember they are the one who gave us the first workable AF in an SLR.

And now, they are the one who gave us AS on the sensor. Wonderful concept, but I just cannot understand why Canon and Nikon not jumping on the wagon as well.

smallaperture said:
Didn't know that Oly is No 3. I thought KM is No 3 based on my casual observation. I have always got high regard for Minolta. Remember they are the one who gave us the first workable AF in an SLR.

And now, they are the one who gave us AS on the sensor. Wonderful concept, but I just cannot understand why Canon and Nikon not jumping on the wagon as well.
Probably protected by a patent.

he wrote abt a 70-300 afs and 105 micro afs

smallaperture said:

they've invested millions in their I.S and their V.R. not forgetting millions bought these lenses.. cannot imagine the 'uproar' it might cause if Nikon or Canon are abandoning their I.S and V.R.

their current DSLRs will immediately become obsolete, much to ken rockwell's delight. haha

nt to mention their IS/VR lenses.

i wonder wat it would be like to mt a VR lens on a AS body. both will try to compensate thn end up becoming worse or both will work together to make the compensation more accurate and drastic giving us 10stops advantage??

roti_prata said:
nt to mention their IS/VR lenses.

i wonder wat it would be like to mt a VR lens on a AS body. both will try to compensate thn end up becoming worse or both will work together to make the compensation more accurate and drastic giving us 10stops advantage??

aiya brother... KM do not haf I.S or V.R lenses la. right not? i think so la.

not sure if u can mount any such lenses via 3rd party adaptors but even so, the KM body cannot communicate with the lens due to some 'technical issues'. hehe

haha i was refering to some1 suggesting tt nikon/canon shd hav sensor AS as well

roti_prata said:
haha i was refering to some1 suggesting tt nikon/canon shd hav sensor AS as well

orh... paiseh la! :bsmilie:

impossible for Nikon to come up with VR in DSLR bodies la.. if so, all their old lenses will; become immensely popular!!!!!

Full Frame more likely! :bsmilie:

A full frame Fm3D will be sweet.
:heart:

FF is kinda useless unless it offeres a significant reduction in noise or if super wide like sigma's 12-24 is really necessory. FF will cause more severe vignetting and softness@corners so i wont get it(nt like i can afford it anyway:bsmilie: )

icarus said:
A full frame Fm3D will be sweet.
:heart:
manual digital camera:think: who will choose it for wat reason??

roti_prata said:
manual digital camera:think: who will choose it for wat reason??

Why not? Leica is also coming out with digital versions of their rangefinders.

Cheesecake said:
they've invested millions in their I.S and their V.R. not forgetting millions bought these lenses.. cannot imagine the 'uproar' it might cause if Nikon or Canon are abandoning their I.S and V.R.

their current DSLRs will immediately become obsolete, much to ken rockwell's delight. haha
If someone betted on the wrong horse and gonna to loose multi-million, then, they will have to bite the bullet and write off those millions. Remember the Betamax/VHS battle? Or between IBM/Microsoft and Apple.

Maybe, between Canon and Nikon who are the big boys, it's a matter of who blinks first. Maybe, Nikon might put VR into the sensor first and says sorry to those who brought VR lenses. Afterall, Nikon started much later than Canon in this IS/VR thing. Then, Canon got no choice but to follow or else loose new entrants to Nikon.

Too bad that KM bites the dust and passed the baton to Sony. With Sony, AS might rise up from the dust and give Canon and Nikon a good fight. Only time will tell.

smallaperture said:
If someone betted on the wrong horse and gonna to loose multi-million, then, they will have to bite the bullet and write off those millions. Remember the Betamax/VHS battle? Or between IBM/Microsoft and Apple.

Maybe, between Canon and Nikon who are the big boys, it's a matter of who blinks first. Maybe, Nikon might put VR into the sensor first and says sorry to those who brought VR lenses. Afterall, Nikon started much later than Canon in this IS/VR thing. Then, Canon got no choice but to follow or else loose new entrants to Nikon.

Too bad that KM bites the dust and passed the baton to Sony. With Sony, AS might rise up from the dust and give Canon and Nikon a good fight. Only time will tell.
ya..
but was really stunned with KM's move.:dunno:

smallaperture said:

Not quite correct, the worlds first production SLR with AF that worked was the F3AF in 1983, by Nikon.

King Tiger said:
Panasonic and Samsung will join in too.

i think Samsung will eventually buy out Pentax. wow, all those non-DSLR players are buying up DSLR players. wonder if Canon, Nikon and Oly will be eaten up too.

Hmm tell me which company is capable of eating up Canon? Nikon is already part of the Mitsubishi Grp. Dunno about Oly tho

Status
Not open for further replies.