Thom Hogan's Complete Guide for D70


Status
Not open for further replies.

WideZoom

Senior Member
Mar 8, 2004
611
0
16
Lavender
#1
Hi,

Have any user read the e-book by Thom Hogan "Complete Guide to the Nikon D70". Any comment on the e-book?
 

nemesis32

Senior Member
Oct 16, 2003
3,717
1
0
43
Singapore
Visit site
#2
WideZoom said:
Hi,

Have any user read the e-book by Thom Hogan "Complete Guide to the Nikon D70". Any comment on the e-book?
Never read it. In fact i cannot find the ebook on amazon.

However, i knew that there's a hard cover Magic Lantern Guide on D70 that's only available in US. That's suppose to be good as they publish for all good nikon cameras.
 

Watcher

Senior Member
Feb 9, 2003
2,307
0
0
The heart of the Abyss
Visit site
#3
I've got his D100 eBook (which btw, is only available on his own homesite). His books are very comprehensive and detailed, not only explaining what each function does, he also provides recommendations and advice on how to best use the camera. There is a section about flash built in and SB-800 (I hope he adds in a SB-600 section) too.

They come highly recommended :thumbsup:
 

Sree

Member
Dec 17, 2003
213
0
16
Singapore
#4
WideZoom said:
Hi,

Have any user read the e-book by Thom Hogan "Complete Guide to the Nikon D70". Any comment on the e-book?
I got mine about a week ago. You can only get it by ordering through his website http://www.bythom.com/d70guide.htm

Highly recommended for it takes you beyond just the novice stage. There is good expert advice for intermediate and advanced photographers too .... beyond what you find in the Magic Lantern Series.

Its so popular that the response was overwhelming just hours after web ordering was first opened. I managed to order mine then. Thom closes ordering from time to time to catch up on processing so keep trying till you get your order in.

In addition to D70, it also talks about NC and SB series of flash.About 500 pages of excellent material. Get it as its a great buy!!
 

PornStar

New Member
Mar 22, 2004
213
0
0
41
#5
I just ordered mine too...can't wait to get my hands on it. :)
 

Apr 18, 2004
117
0
0
#6
Got mine too at beginning of the week.

Pretty good technical guide (not too wordy) ... manage to learn a couple of new things in there!

Happy reading to all!
 

WideZoom

Senior Member
Mar 8, 2004
611
0
16
Lavender
#7
wow expensive to get the cd-rom for USD39.9 which is about S$70.
 

Dec 17, 2003
213
0
16
Singapore
#8
WideZoom said:
wow expensive to get the cd-rom for USD39.9 which is about S$70.
It is well worth the money and more. Remember your camera costs about $2K and to this you add several $Ks if you use prime lenses or several $100s otherwise. The cost of this book is a mere fraction and it will improve your D70 skills greatly.

Another book I highly recommend is Ron Reznick's eBook Digital Photography -- Acquisition and Processing Techniques (suited to all D-series cameras but very detailed in technique and processing) found at http://www.digital-images.net/eBook/ebook.html Ron's book costs US$75 which may seem rather expensive but I got it and I think its a gem too.

When we go out on a weekend, we easily spend $50 or more on movies, meal etc. For a family man like me, its easily over $100 per outing. And we go out most weekends! Either one (or both) of these books improves your skill to greater levels and the experience lasts you forever.

But ultimately it is to each his own. It all depends on how you look at photography and what you want to put in it, and your budget. However if you can get a (photographic) mentor it is priceless, worth more than any book :)
 

2100

Senior Member
Mar 3, 2004
3,591
0
0
48
#9
WideZoom said:
wow expensive to get the cd-rom for USD39.9 which is about S$70.
Other photographic books also around there. A half-day quality photographic workshop with another half-day practice also around there.

Either that or go out and shoot shoot shoot. Needs more time to find out stuff though and sometimes may not even find out everything which is deemed as basic by many.
 

Gymrat76

Senior Member
May 10, 2004
1,606
0
0
41
#11
WideZoom said:
wow expensive to get the cd-rom for USD39.9 which is about S$70.
Its OK la, bought John Shaw's Nature Photography, and it was thin, like 200 pages? And it was $49.. other books were $79+, so this highly-rated 500-page, specific guide to the D70 is not expensive when considering this :)
 

hansia

New Member
Apr 27, 2004
178
0
0
East
#12
Tiger-in-the-woods said:
Got mine too at beginning of the week.

Pretty good technical guide (not too wordy) ... manage to learn a couple of new things in there!

Happy reading to all!
How long did it take to arrive? Mine was supposedly sent out on 1st June, but still no sign of it after 10 days. US so far meh? It's just across the pond from where I am now... :think:
 

Ajeesh

New Member
Feb 1, 2004
108
0
0
#13
Hey,

Just another question. What if few people decided to share the e- book. I can understand if it is for the paper edition. Here it is a soft copy and if we make a copies of it is it ethically wrong :dunno: ?
 

hansia

New Member
Apr 27, 2004
178
0
0
East
#14
Ajeesh said:
Hey,

Just another question. What if few people decided to share the e- book. I can understand if it is for the paper edition. Here it is a soft copy and if we make a copies of it is it ethically wrong :dunno: ?
From what I understand for e-books in general, you can make a copy for personal reference/backup. You can't make multiple copies of it, as that would be a violation of copyright, just like printed books and software on CD-ROM.

So I guess the legitimate way of sharing it is to print a copy, and pass the CD-ROM around. But by browsing the printed personal copy while the CD-ROM is out making its rounds, would it be a violation since two persons are reading it? :think:
 

Ajeesh

New Member
Feb 1, 2004
108
0
0
#15
I completely agree with you. But what I have in my mind is if two person are sharing the book it would cost only 35 SD which I find much reasonable. Of course I am not comparing the price with other photographic books but with the prinetd text book I use. I can opt not buying it, but jsut wnated to enquire about the inexpensive alternatives ;).
 

Gymrat76

Senior Member
May 10, 2004
1,606
0
0
41
#16
Ajeesh said:
I completely agree with you. But what I have in my mind is if two person are sharing the book it would cost only 35 SD which I find much reasonable. Of course I am not comparing the price with other photographic books but with the prinetd text book I use. I can opt not buying it, but jsut wnated to enquire about the inexpensive alternatives ;).
I think the guide is only available as an ebook i.e. CD-ROM.. so if 2 people were to share it (legally), one would have to wait while the other finishes it, then passes it over. Printing out multiple copies or making another copy of the CD to pass to another person is considered as copyright infringement (I think, me not a lawyer!) ;p
 

justarius

Senior Member
Nov 9, 2003
1,226
0
36
Northeast
Visit site
#17
Be careful about what you are saying because Thom Hogan is a stickler on copyright issues. There's a guy sometime back in the Nikonians forum asking if someone can email or sent him a copy of the book, and Thom Hogan jumped in with both feet threatening legal action.

You've been warned! :D
 

Gymrat76

Senior Member
May 10, 2004
1,606
0
0
41
#18
justarius said:
Be careful about what you are saying because Thom Hogan is a stickler on copyright issues. There's a guy sometime back in the Nikonians forum asking if someone can email or sent him a copy of the book, and Thom Hogan jumped in with both feet threatening legal action.

You've been warned! :D
Wouldn't you if you were the author of the book and come across a post of someone asking for free copies of your work?
 

Ajeesh

New Member
Feb 1, 2004
108
0
0
#19
I am out of this business now ;) . I am afraid of any kind of legal actions. So Mr. Thom I was seeking free advice not free book :).

So will decide later..... :cry:
 

justarius

Senior Member
Nov 9, 2003
1,226
0
36
Northeast
Visit site
#20
Gymrat76 said:
Wouldn't you if you were the author of the book and come across a post of someone asking for free copies of your work?
of course, which is why I'm posting the warning here in the first place.
 

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom