This processing... how is it done.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Stoned

May 7, 2004
Changi
www.photo.net
I've been an admirer of this sort of look for some time now and have always thought it's due to the famed 3d effect produced by a Leica or Hassie lens. Though in recent times as I explore more portrait photographer's work I've begun to see this sort of output by various camera models(and therefore presumably different lenses) so I've finally come to the conclusion that this must be some special sort of processing. I'm simply amazed by the texture of the images, it's gorgeous, but I have no idea how to achieve it.

Most recently, photo.net's photograph of the week also displayed this same processing. It's most certainly not the camera/lens as well because she uses a Panasonic FZ-30. I have never known the Panasonic FZ series to produce such output even though it uses a "Leica" lens, and a good deal of these shots were made outdoors as well and doesn't appear to be modified lighting.

The photographer's work is here
http://photo.net/photodb/user?user_id=2105885

I haven't seen this sort of processing being posted here on CS before, but I was wondering if anyone can shed light for me on how this is done. The crispness of the images is just gorgeous. I'd be most grateful :)

The fz camers do produce natually sharp images but i my gues sis its just a great deal of careful burning and dodging? I miss my LC-33 already... hehe...

Photoshop can do it.
Really.

U want I can upload 1 example.

But the basic knowledge of the technicalities in taking a photo is also needed.

I want ! :D The results look quite photoshoppable..just need the know how and determination.

AReality said:
Photoshop can do it.
Really.

U want I can upload 1 example.

But the basic knowledge of the technicalities in taking a photo is also needed.

It's the thing in photoshop which I need hehe. Would appreciate it if you could tell me how it's done.

Technicalities is on my own steam :)

mattlock... i think he's going for a more natural look, unlike the one that you showed us by Jim Fiscus. However i still like what he has done with the PP, any pointers to re create something to that effect?

Yes kind of. It's more surreal than how I want to get it but I think it's along the same lines.

hey stoned,

why not post 1 pic here let us all try and edit to make tt feel ?

AReality said:
hey stoned,

why not post 1 pic here let us all try and edit to make tt feel ?

Ok, I don't know if there are any prerequisites to create such an effect so I'll just randomly post an image here. Just a simple one, hope it can be used.

IdolIan.jpg

Fundee said:
draganizing. . . ever heard of it ????

No i haven't actually. That's why I'm asking.

Areality --> Thanks, but that's not quite what I'm looking for. For those posted by the Photo.net photo of the week photographer and in the link posted by Mattlock, colours remain rich(though not quite true to life, again I can't describe it because I don't know how it gets that way).

I'm not sure if you did the right thing but the base wasn't right. That's why I asked earlier if you need a specific type of base image to produce that kind of look after processing. I just picked out a random snapshot of a friend here.

Thanks for putting in the effort to try though.

U need a foto with very shallow DOF to start with i presume.
And focused at the eye.

Hi, I don't think you need shallow dof. This is another photo taken from the site.
Looks like taken with flash then careful burning is applied. As for the colour, think it will be quite tough to replicate exactly the same.

4678663-md.jpg

Stoned said:
No i haven't actually. That's why I'm asking.

Areality --> Thanks, but that's not quite what I'm looking for. For those posted by the Photo.net photo of the week photographer and in the link posted by Mattlock, colours remain rich(though not quite true to life, again I can't describe it because I don't know how it gets that way).

I'm not sure if you did the right thing but the base wasn't right. That's why I asked earlier if you need a specific type of base image to produce that kind of look after processing. I just picked out a random snapshot of a friend here.

Thanks for putting in the effort to try though.

My Try

http://danlim.smugmug.com/gallery/1806822

Something like this ? Think I've made it too dark though

Test9.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.