This pic should answer a few questions on Recyko and Eneloop

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reportage

Nov 24, 2008
P1000575.jpg

just hoot another set at IT fair. :thumbsup:

what was the question?

can eneloop batteries be charged on a GP charger?
are both batteries the same size?
which battery more chio?

What does your picture want to tell us? It well-known that one doesn't necessarily need the charger from the same brand / manufacturer as the batteries. Charging specs are important (voltage, current etc.) - and sometimes the bundled chargers are really not the best option.

Aren't they all NiMH batteries, ie same type?

P1000575.jpg

just hoot another set at IT fair. :thumbsup:
If you ask me, this charger is not a good investment. If I am not wrong, this is GP Power Bank Mega which is a mid-range charger in GP's series.

It charges 4 or 8 batteries and will take 6 hours to complete the charge cycle depending on the capacity of the batteries.

The best kind of battery charger is the one which can charge battery individually. i.e. you can just charge one battery at any slots. In your case, you have to charge 4 batteries at a time (or the slightly better ones will have to charge 2 batteries at the same time).

The reason why it is not as good as those can charge one at a time is because each battery although they might have the same ratings marked on the batteries, in real life, their actual capacity will vary. For those that charge 4 in one go, as soon as the lowest capacity battery is fully charged, the charger will stop charging so if you have a bad one which has a much lower capacity, it will affect all the others in the same group. Same applies to the one that needs to charge 2 at the same time.

Just to share my experience with the characteristics of the different chargers.

Last edited:
If you ask me, this charger is not a good investment. If I am not wrong, this is GP Power Bank Mega which is a mid-range charger in GP's series.

It charges 4 or 8 batteries and will take 6 hours to complete the charge cycle depending on the capacity of the batteries.

The best kind of battery charger is the one which can charge battery individually. i.e. you can just charge one battery at any slots. In your case, you have to charge 4 batteries at a time (or the slightly better ones will have to charge 2 batteries at the same time).

The reason why it is not as good as those can charge one at a time is because each battery although they might have the same ratings marked on the batteries, in real life, their actual capacity will vary. For those that charge 4 in one go, as soon as the lowest capacity battery is fully charged, the charger will stop charging so if you have a bad one which has a much lower capacity, it will affect all the others in the same group. Same applies to the one that needs to charge 2 at the same time.

Just to share my experience with the characteristics of the different chargers.

I fully agree. In addition, those chargers which can charge each slot individually usually also come with a "Soft Charge Option" for a lower charging current. Soft charging will prevent heating up the batteries during charging and extend the lifetime. Secondly, a "Conditioning" function also comes very handy to "reformat" older batteries. It will costs a few bucks more, indeed. But the returns are fully charged batteries for your gear and a longer life time, less waste etc.

Are both types of batteries of same rating, ie. power, current, voltage?
Otherwise it's not a good idea. :sweat:

Thread title FAIL

Show-off purchases WIN

battery only.. nothing worth showing off ;p

i was expecting a picture of gp recykos being made in a sanyo factory, not in the same charger..

Thread title FAIL

Show-off purchases WIN
No need to say like this...:sweat:

I think TS just want to tell people they don't have to use the same brand of batteries and battery charger which was frequently asked in the forum.

TS has contributed to the forum frequently and if I am not wrong he has posted the first brochure of SanDisk price from PC SHOW 09 even before the start of the show and received quite a few thank you posts. :thumbsup:

No need to say like this...:sweat:

I think TS just want to tell people they don't have to use the same brand of batteries and battery charger which was frequently asked in the forum.

TS has contributed to the forum frequently and if I am not wrong he has posted the first brochure of SanDisk price from PC SHOW 09 even before the start of the show and received quite a few thank you posts. :thumbsup:

doesn't really prove anything.. it's like posting a pic of me eating rat poison and saying "this should answer some qns about the safety of rat poison" but later on i end up in hospital.. ;p

anyway to TS, the question on whether brand A batts can be charged in brand B charger has been answered to death, and your photo hardly adds any value. "a picture speaks a thousand words".. not so in this case!

Last edited:
doesn't really prove anything.. it's like posting a pic of me eating rat poison and saying "this should answer some qns about the safety of rat poison" but later on i end up in hospital.. ;p

anyway, the question on whether brand A batts can be charged in brand B charger has been answered to death, and your photo hardly adds any value. "a picture speaks a thousand words".. not so in this case!
pls check who is the TS by following the thread carefully...

Don't anyhow put words into people's mouth. :nono:

pls check who is the TS by following the thread carefully...

Don't anyhow put words into people's mouth. :nono:

i know who the TS is.. a bit careless when quoting and replying, sorry!:sweat: prev post edited

Helllo
nice information. Im also a gizmo freek.i too love cameras and photography.thanks

From the pics, the GP PBank charger is dusty, so presumed purchased as 2nd hand from the event.

I have been observing for a while and I find it intriguing that there is so much interest on AA/AAA rechargeable battery. These are commonly found in supermarket and hypermart. :think: Are you aware that there is rechargeable CR123A which you can use to power the SD9 or flash?

But I have in the past collected many brands of batteries. :bsmilie:

The ReCyko 4x black charger is suprisingly running very hot all the time, so IMO cuts the lifespan.

From the pics, the GP PBank charger is dusty, so presumed purchased as 2nd hand from the event.

I have been observing for a while and I find it intriguing that there is so much interest on AA/AAA rechargeable battery. These are commonly found in supermarket and hypermart. :think: Are you aware that there is rechargeable CR123A which you can use to power the SD9 or flash?

But I have in the past collected many brands of batteries. :bsmilie:

The ReCyko 4x black charger is suprisingly running very hot all the time, so IMO cuts the lifespan.
in that case, sanyo and yuasa must be very familiar names...planning to add ansmann maxe, panasonic infinium, maha imedion, rayovac hybrio and so on in future.

the most common or should i say easier to find CR123A would be from Energizer.

The charger is interim while i ponder whether to choose ansmann, maha or lacrosse charger. the current GP charger at the most gets lukewarm, much better then my previous sony charger.

Last edited:
IMO don't need to ponder too much about charger, use till spoil then buy. Even the standard ones will do fine. Spending too much on ideal charger is not efficient as it just accumulate the expenses. 1 set battery spare will be able to buffer the recharge time. In serious events, AA lithium battery can be your backup.

CR123A Energizer/Sanyo are not chargeable. There is an brand MP that offer rechargeable lithium ion but lasted 1/3 only against energizer; overall 1/2 of the cost.

I believe people have not report what is the faulty rate of recharge battery within an X period or charge.

in that case, sanyo and yuasa must be very familiar names...planning to add ansmann maxe, panasonic infinium, maha imedion, rayovac hybrio and so on in future.

the most common or should i say easier to find CR123A would be from Energizer.

The charger is interim while i ponder whether to choose ansmann, maha or lacrosse charger. the current GP charger at the most gets lukewarm, much better then my previous sony charger.

Heh. I'd say this pic raises more questions than answers them.

My experience with GP RecycKo+ is that they are a tiny bit fatter than normal AAs, which means on some equipment, it'll be a tight squeeze in the battery compartment.

I prefer PowerEx Imedions. But honestly, performance wise, I can't tell the difference.

But thanks to those who pointed out the deficiency of GP chargers. What about their higher end ones? Do they charge cells individually?

Heh. I'd say this pic raises more questions than answers them.

My experience with GP RecycKo+ is that they are a tiny bit fatter than normal AAs, which means on some equipment, it'll be a tight squeeze in the battery compartment.

I prefer PowerEx Imedions. But honestly, performance wise, I can't tell the difference.

But thanks to those who pointed out the deficiency of GP chargers. What about their higher end ones? Do they charge cells individually?
Here is the premium range of GP chargers.
http://www.gpbatteries.com/html/products/powerbank_premium.html
These chargers will be able to charge batteries individually. But these are all chargers for a max. of 4 batteries.

The V800C and V600D can handle trickle charge which is able to "top-up" a battery to its max. capacity. But, H650C and H500 do not have this trickle charge function.

Status
Not open for further replies.