This photo took my breath away

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nikonfanatic

Oct 5, 2011
This photo simply blew my mind apart. I would like to be enlightened by kind souls on how to produce this kind of effect? As in the smooth smokey effect of the gravy. I've seen this effect being used on waterfalls or lake photos too. I am just guessing that it is a photoshop function, can any experts throw some hints? Thank you in advance.

Sorry for not crediting the photo because I can't remember where I downloaded this photo from. If the owner of this photo is in this forum, my apology to you for not crediting.

201042_10151311514423968_725941593_o.jpg

Smokey effect? Only looks like shallow depth of field to me, don't even need processing.

Appears to be shallow dof to me also. Just use a bigger aperture.

This photo looks like a snapshot...anyway can't see any smokey-ness...

I have tried to take picture of food with gravy and it doesn't turn out like that. This is mine. As you can see, it is rather normal but the picture above seems to have some kind of sureal/smokey/smooth/reflection kind of effect...the same kind that I see sometimes on photos with water on lakes/rivers where it is some kind of smoothness effect that we don't actually see in the real thing...

621436_10151266131018968_1230754009_o.jpg

This photo looks like a snapshot...anyway can't see any smokey-ness...

If you compare mine and that photo. Mine is don't have that same effect..I am just wondering...any function in photoshop did that effect...

good example of using sharpness (or lackthereof) to achieve intended look/feel.

Nikonfanatic said:
Pardon my limited knowledge. Is bigger aperture the equivalent of lower F value?

Bigger aperture size = smaller f-number.

F-number is given as a fraction e.g. f/1.8, f/22 etc. Its a denominator...

Anyway back to ur first pic, on top of shallow DOF, I personally think the gravy itself was very thick that's why I look very nice under the given lighting...

What you see is the light reflected by the gravy, nothing smokey about it.What's the angle? Hint,look at the shadows of the greens and meat.

Edit: The effect of bluring of waterfalls is done by using slow shutter speed eg. 1/15 sec or longer as it is unable to stop motion and not the same in the case of food photography which is simple reflection at a certain angle.Your picture has refections too but not much because of light angle again.Plus your gravy is much lighter in colour and texture.

Last edited:
You should make a distinction between different situations. It is certainly worth noting that this is different from the waterfalls that you mentioned. That situation is due to slower shutter speed. Whereas in this case, i will guess it is the big aperture size, resulting in the shallow dof. Of course, angle plays a part but won't go into that.

its due to the gravy. For the 1st pic, the meat is evenly coated with the gravy and more meat are visible. The 2nd pic, only the centre part of the dish has the meat and few slices of veggie. The arrangement of the food on the plate plays a part too.

The lighting in the 1st pic is warmer making it more appetizing :)

I have a question...

If we use a shallow depth of field...say for example 2. Wouldn't the bokeh be not in the consistency of the smoothness as the picture above...but with the focused point sharp..and the bokeh appearing too blur... But the picture above seems to have a consistent bokeh all over the picture...

its due to the gravy. For the 1st pic, the meat is evenly coated with the gravy and more meat are visible. The 2nd pic, only the centre part of the dish has the meat and few slices of veggie. The arrangement of the food on the plate plays a part too.

The lighting in the 1st pic is warmer making it more appetizing :)

Ok that makes sense...warmer... dimmer lights so to speak...

I have tried to take picture of food with gravy and it doesn't turn out like that. This is mine. As you can see, it is rather normal but the picture above seems to have some kind of sureal/smokey/smooth/reflection kind of effect...the same kind that I see sometimes on photos with water on lakes/rivers where it is some kind of smoothness effect that we don't actually see in the real thing...

More starch in the gravy ought to do the trick. And some strategically placed lights.

u want smokey effect buy a nd filter then expose and start pouring gravy slowly on your food.

can also buy dry ice

I have a question...

If we use a shallow depth of field...say for example 2. Wouldn't the bokeh be not in the consistency of the smoothness as the picture above...but with the focused point sharp..and the bokeh appearing too blur... But the picture above seems to have a consistent bokeh all over the picture...

A precise answer requires a more technical explaination.Bokeh is simply the OOF (out of focus) areas rendered by the lens due to depth of field effects of aperture and focal length of the lens used.Now to get the identical bokeh the same lens and lighting and subject distance must be provided.Obviously it's not the case here.The rendering of the bokeh depends on the type of lens design used in the particular lens which is based on german designs popularised by Carl Zeiss so all lenses today are variations of these basic and time tested designs plus the type of glass and coatings used and the number of blades used on the aperture diaphram.Modern lenses use standard 6 or 8 blades resulting in hexagonal or octagonal light point sources.Whereas older designs dating back to pre WW2 (world war 2) uses more blades and therefore the aperture looks round rather than hexagonal which looks nicer like christmas light decorations. :)

You will come across these lens designs such as planar ,tessar ,biotar/biogon,distagon,pancolar and cooke triplet (the predesessor of tessar).

Edit; The smoothness of bokeh is due to front and back OOF areas in the first picture but your's only at the back due to smaller aperture and focal length of the lens as explained.

Last edited:
Didnt see any 'smokey effect' leh.

Just a poorly composed photo that is slightly OOF.

I think your own photo better than the first one.

the lighting is right basically, but make it more contrasty, eg, highlight more intense, less fill a little.

too much out of focus, and the focusing point has noting interesting pop out, so the view point wondering around the picture.

you need pay more attention on food styling, the vegetable looks soggy, the gravy need to be clean at the brim, and too much texture in the gravy

Status
Not open for further replies.