this-lens-is-soft-and-other-myths

very informative, thanks.

my friend used to frustrate with almost every new AutoFocus lens he bought because of the mm focus shifts.

then AF lens is expensive, fast AF lens is more expensive, and more easily drive someone crazy if something is wrong.

while a cheap 100 dollar manual lens will more likely be worry-free as you cant complain a manual lens not focusing right.

very informative, thanks.

my friend used to frustrate with almost every new AutoFocus lens he bought because of the mm focus shifts.

then AF lens is expensive, fast AF lens is more expensive, and more easily drive someone crazy if something is wrong.

while a cheap 100 dollar manual lens will more likely be worry-free as you cant complain a manual lens not focusing right.

You're mistaken to think a manual lens can't focus right.
If you rely on the focusing screen in the viewfinder to determine focus, it is crucial to ensure the focusing screen sits right (with the appropriate shims) and is calibrated with the sensor, if not what may appear sharp in the viewfinder (even with focusing aids like a split-image rangefinder or microprisms) won't appear sharp when you look at the images up close. This issue can be worked around by manually focusing using Live View as focus is straight from the sensor itself.

True. For critical focus, I use Live View.

I sure hope that the sensor based PDAF technology pioneered by Nikon on the J1/V1 can be implemented on DSLRs. Its basically the best of both worlds.

Oh my bad, didn't realize that Fuji has already done it.

I had in fact read one of the articles you quoted previously, but I guess I was too much of a noob then to realize its significance haha...

agree. live view is simple easy way to go. maybe that is a reason Sony use EVF, live view in viewfinder

I think there was not much reaction when Fuji did it, probably lack of user base too...

I think Fuji also did not come out with guns blazing. No worries.

Sadly so.
With the news of Nikon V1/J1, some of my colleagues think MILC is a new system created by Nikon

Excellent article. Have bookmarked it and will paste it whenever anyone says lenses are soft or they have a bad copy :)