This is "practice" common?

syc77

Oct 27, 2002
Earth
Visit site
just called up a company who posted here in CS.was told to do a 30 min "test shoot" on a low light performance (flash not allowed) to see my skills.
I will not be paid n not required to submit the photos.I did mention i have a portfolio but he says he has no time to view.

just wonder if this is a common practice??
should i be expecting a ok paying assignment??

just called up a company who posted here in CS.was told to do a 30 min "test shoot" on a low light performance (flash not allowed) to see my skills.
I will not be paid n not required to submit the photos.I did mention i have a portfolio but he says he has no time to view.

just wonder if this is a common practice??
should i be expecting a ok paying assignment??

Sounds like B.S. or to see if you have a high-end pro-looking camera. LOL

hi rashkae. long time no see.
ya lor... i was thinking of the same thing...
heng i have a "high-end pro-looking camera" + a long len..lol.

i also not sure what kind of peanuts they r paying...

hi rashkae. long time no see.
ya lor... i was thinking of the same thing...
heng i have a "high-end pro-looking camera" + a long len..lol.

i also not sure what kind of peanuts they r paying...

Best to ask for what type of event, etc beforehand. If they are a serious company, there should be no problem telling you this.

they did.
low light performance n not allowed to flash
lighting controlled by the preformance.
my guess is dancing?

they did.
low light performance n not allowed to flash
lighting controlled by the preformance.
my guess is dancing?
'

Or concert.

They got 30mins to test you (plus creating that test itself) but don't have 10mins to view portfolio?

After you shot for 30mins, they then got even more time to review your SOOC pics?

Sound very weird leh... Definitely not very norm.

You know some events hire a lot of people pretending to be photogrs to make appearance of a major media covered event.

I am at the vent area now n yes it's a very very big event.
Was told by official shooter to shoot at iso 12800iso, submit photos n delete.
But the company "testing" me said otherwise over the phone. Let's see how this will lead. :)

I am at the vent area now n yes it's a very very big event.
Was told by official shooter to shoot at iso 12800iso, submit photos n delete.
But the company "testing" me said otherwise over the phone. Let's see how this will lead. :)

What a "company" which is the ad that was posted ?

Lol. Just spoke to the guy. As what the official shooter said, I'm required to submit n delete
the company says the same. So I told him
He can review my shots in the cam n if ok, hire me n use my shots. All he can say is it's my boss.
So I just said thanks n walked off. Lol. No wonder they extended the deadline n still can't get shooters. Lol

Feels like this company don't really care how the shots turn out cos official shooter's company is editing the pics. N I was told chief shooter is shooting in P mode?!

This is a good way to rob photogrs of their imagery rights. Sometimes for certain high key events the organisers want exclusivity to the pictures, thus have to upload immediately and 'wipe cards' thereafter, but as long as photogs are paid accordingly it's ok. But if they never stipulate or discuss rates with you prior and only disclose such requirements on site, it's quite obvious they are trying to see if you will bend under last minute pressure. Plus it's even more mehhh that they will only pay if they think pics up to their standard. No need to pay cancellation feed this way. Good call to walk off.

Btw what event?

Last edited:
They got 30mins to test you (plus creating that test itself) but don't have 10mins to view portfolio?

After you shot for 30mins, they then got even more time to review your SOOC pics?

Sound very weird leh... Definitely not very norm.

You know some events hire a lot of people pretending to be photogrs to make appearance of a major media covered event.

SOOC?

Lemme guess... Event at indoor stadium next Saturday? :think: ;p

This is a good way to rob photogrs of their imagery rights. Sometimes for certain high key events the organisers want exclusivity to the pictures, thus have to upload immediately and 'wipe cards' thereafter, but as long as photogs are paid accordingly it's ok. But if they never stipulate or discuss rates with you prior and only disclose such requirements on site, it's quite obvious they are trying to see if you will bend under last minute pressure. Plus it's even more mehhh that they will only pay if they think pics up to their standard. No need to pay cancellation feed this way. Good call to walk off.

Btw what event?

ya...
they even setup a counter to sell the pics.
$30 for a photo.
$120 for tabletop album.lol..
i wont say which event/thread.
but if one is smart... not hard to find out. :p

it's happening RIGHT NOW!loln they r still "looking" foe shooters.

Haha, oh ya, paisey paisey, googled some more after replying. ;p

Anyway, I do hope no one falls prey to this company tho.
N many thanks to all who advised/replied!!!

One Fighting Championship? :dunno: