This is my fault!

Yappy

May 30, 2004
I was drving in a small lane with my wife beside me.

I saw an old lady with a walking stick crossing the road. She was accompanied by a mid-age man.

I got very impatience and press the horn. My wife stopped me and apologied to the lady and the man.

Why was I so impatience? Why did I honk at them?

..... I regretted what I had done!

As a driver of myself, I'll try to put on others shoes. In llife, we can have a lot of regrets, but we can't afford to have guilt.

My observations:

Singaporean drivers usually speed up or honk at pedestrians crossing the street (jaywalking, not using zebra crossing)

Malaysian drivers will usually slow down.

Is this because everyone is always rushing to go places, or is it the sense of self-entitlement (pedestrians should follow the rules not to jaywalk, so I will honk/speed up to teach them a lesson?)

But you should be thankful you have a level headed wife :)

That is good internal reflection Yappy :thumbsup: While the horning was much undesirable, few of us would actually internally reflect such *seemingly trivial* events and improve ourselves by working on the trigger points.

I would consider myself to be pretty fair tempered but I do get more easily irritated on the roads, especially tailgaters. ( And road hogging is seriously one of the last things u catch me doing, even when driving overseas with unfamiliar rental vehicles! ) Nowadays whenever I feel unhappiness welling, I try to ask myself why I should be upset, self reflect and rationalise the anger away on the go ) I am far from nirvana, but I hope little steps in reflecting make me better person.

I suppose there is more pent up frustration as there is pretty much little communication from one car to the other apart from horning and showing the finger. It was made mention by economists that humans tend to be more impatient and reactive in a car then when we are on the street. Pretty much like the relative disinhibition people may behave on forums than in real life.

Thanks for sharing

My observations:

Singaporean drivers usually speed up or honk at pedestrians crossing the street (jaywalking, not using zebra crossing)

Malaysian drivers will usually slow down.

Is this because everyone is always rushing to go places, or is it the sense of self-entitlement (pedestrians should follow the rules not to jaywalk, so I will honk/speed up to teach them a lesson?)

But you should be thankful you have a level headed wife :)

In SG, honk is giving an early signal for the pedestrians to beware, I belief most cars will slow down too if see people jaywalking.

In Malaysia, the pedestrians might get upset when you honk.

Went Bali last Dec, my driver honk all the way from hotel to various destinations. He said its their habit to honk to give signal to others as the road has a lot of motorcycles.

Personally I do not drive however I have seen level headed friends and relatives turn into ugly/vulgar impatient monster once they are behind the steering wheel and driving.
This is something that I do not understand and have yet to find the answer.
Can any driver tell me why is this so??

betta01 said:
Personally I do not drive however I have seen level headed friends and relatives turn into ugly/vulgar impatient monster once they are behind the steering wheel and driving.

This is something you will only understand if you are a driver. Hard to explain. To me it's like trying to explain parenthood to someone who isn't a parent.

Indeed Yappy should feel remorse. Afterall, its 2 OLD people, one with walking stick. hey, give chance lah, what if you honk and the old lady drop dead from a heart attack. then all your remorse cannot make amends. anyway, good that your conscience prick you and your wonderful wife have the good sense to apologise to the old couple. Now if it were 2 young people walking if they own the road, ie walk in the middle of the road taking their own sweet time without caring for other road users, then I would honk. I come across people who just plain inconsiderate. Pedestrians should walk on the side. dont take up the whole road and block traffic. Many times i wanted to honk, but often I just drive behind till they realise and move away. But if I am in a hurry or bad mood...., i am very tempted to honk.

You can only find the answer once you are on the hot seat. Its not call hot seat for nothing. Im say at least 7 out of 10 driver are like that.

eg. You're rushing to a place and its getting late..then this person infront just keep walking very slowly and blocked your way. In this case..you can shout at him or ask them to move aside. However, on the road.. you cant..even by honking..therefore the frustration.

There are also some drivers who think or feels that they are better drivers, Thus whenever they spot any driver that they think arent good as them. They will Jump. Sometimes because they caused inconveniences to them..sometimes for whatever other reasons i also not sure. lol.

Yea its hard to explain..only until you start driving..

davidnn99 said:
Indeed Yappy should feel remorse. Afterall, its 2 OLD people, one with walking stick. hey, give chance lah, what if you honk and the old lady drop dead from a heart attack. then all your remorse cannot make amends. anyway, good that your conscience prick you and your wonderful wife have the good sense to apologise to the old couple. Now if it were 2 young people walking if they own the road, ie walk in the middle of the road taking their own sweet time without caring for other road users, then I would honk. I come across people who just plain inconsiderate. Pedestrians should walk on the side. dont take up the whole road and block traffic. Many times i wanted to honk, but often I just drive behind till they realise and move away. But if I am in a hurry or bad mood...., i am very tempted to honk.

Yes it really depends on the situation n the context. Old people crossing road very different from those able bodied folks who still amble across the road when the light is red or has already turned red against them. Old people may need to take the shortest path, or simply physically cannot make it across before the green man turns red. They may also have poor eyesight or a bit senile already.

'Cos once a GUY is in command of their own vehicle. They are a CHAMPION, a KING. Everyone thinks that they are Michael Schumacher and Sebastien Loeb.

Then there are the King of Kings and the King of Kings of Kings.

Last edited:
I was drving in a small lane with my wife beside me.

I saw an old lady with a walking stick crossing the road. She was accompanied by a mid-age man.

I got very impatience and press the horn. My wife stopped me and apologied to the lady and the man.

Why was I so impatience? Why did I honk at them?

..... I regretted what I had done!

You got a good wife.

yappy, you were caught on video:

[video=youtube;ZBsPDwPDVRY]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZBsPDwPDVRY[/video]

Last edited:

When you drive and get irritated by the other motorists and pedestrians (who sometimes think they own the road), you tend to lean on the horn more often. I am on the road most times of the day being a outdoor techie so I do see all kinds of behaviours on the road.

Generally I would try to give way and be a nice motorists, but at times, esp. when jaywalkers cross the road even without looking out for traffic, I will HORN at them to wake up their darn ideas. I don't care if they have a death wish, but please don't get the motorists involved.

generally if i see someone jaywalking and the road's pretty empty, i'll let them go by slowing down and motioning them to cross.

but if there're many vehicles travelling fast, i'll sound the horn at them to tell them it's dangerous.

or if it's some jaywalker who just steps out in front of me, i'll just sound the horn at them. it isn't safe to suddenly spring out and i'll be damned if i crash my bike because of such people

hmm i think it is not wrong to horn (unless they are using the zebra crossing or traffic lights) if its a busy road. otherwise if u slow down, the faster cars behind u might bang your car and accident happens when they cannot stop in time after u slow down.

Depends on intention and culture.

Was in Vietnam the driver honk all the way when driving at night to alert bikers and pedestrians.

I don't drive, but 90% of time i see cars slowdown at zebra crossing.

Depends on intention and culture.

Was in Vietnam the driver honk all the way when driving at night to alert bikers and pedestrians.

Here honking sounds rude, but in Vietnam, honking is to inform ppl that there are cars/motocycle behind.

just get over it.......