PetaPixel This Guy Built an Aluminum Medium Format Camera at Home

RSSNewsFeeder

Apr 9, 2018
The World
www.clubsnap.com
UMMkXeA-800x600.jpg

Photographer Lucus Landers has built one of the most impressive do-it-yourself cameras we’ve ever seen. Called the Landers AL6, it’s an all-aluminum camera that shoots medium format film.

“I have recently completed my most recent camera build,” Landers tells PetaPixel. “With the exception of the lens and shutter, everything is handmade in my Brooklyn apartment.”

While most homebrew cameras are made with wood and ingredients that are easier to work with, Landers opts to do metalwork.

“I live and sleep mere feet away from a welder and milling machine,” he says. “To build this camera, I use a combination of casting, machining, and welding.”

Landers started the project by making sand molds using a red sand called Petrobond.

C7DiB6d-800x450.jpg

Melting down and pouring aluminum into the mold produces the camera’s lens cone and top plate.

WPpwKlZ-800x450.jpg

Na7Xexw.jpg

Other plates of aluminum are welded together to form the camera body.

ghcXeOO-800x450.jpg

nF75TVE-800x450.jpg

nYTOL1Z.jpg

A rangefinder is installed into the top cap.

WgjNOxq.jpg

fbwf6kK.jpg

A back door is installed on the camera with a hinge to allow film to be loaded. A pressure plate with leaf springs helps keep film in the camera flat.

fryoWRN.jpg

LJjrF4x.jpg

The camera even has a camera strap mount.

RTbOO1K.jpg

Here’s what the finished Landers AL6 looks like:

2Wb19J3.jpg

7JWvDeW.jpg

1RCsYET.jpg

Here are photos Landers has captured using the Landers AL6:

img021.jpg.jpg

img028.jpg

img033.jpg

img051.jpg

img055-3.jpg

img055-2.jpg

img062.jpg

img053-2.jpg

Landers documented his entire build in a 9-part video series that you can watch on his YouTube channel.

There’s also a still photo step-by-step walkthrough in this online album.

You can find more of Landers’ photography and homemade cameras on his website.

Image credits: Photographs by Lucus Landers and used with permission

Continue reading...