This Chinese New Year going to Siem Reap

Status
Not open for further replies.

sgfriend

Dec 20, 2005
Pasir Ris
Hi, first time going to Siem Reap this new year with a friend under free & easy.

Bought a Sigma 10-20 this afternoon hoping to capture the city & Angkor Wat. Any suggestion where to go?

Staying in Princess Angkor. Any Comments? ;)

Planning to bring along D70s with the 18-70 kit lens. Should I bring Sigma 70-300 too? I will be there from 2/2 to 6/2. Any other nice places to visit other then Angkor Wat? :D

One more questions... really have to wake up early to take the sunsrise shot or wait for sunset shot? :bsmilie:

Thanks

Dude,

Personal opinion here but I don't think you'll be using your 70-300 much. The 18-70 and your new 10-20 should suffice as you'll probably be shooting mostly scenery and daily life, or that's what I did when I was there last.

Angkor is great for sunrise, there's another for sunset but I forget the name of it but I do remember it's always busy at sunset so if you can get there early, you can pick a good spot at the vantage point on top of the temple area. Bayon is a must see and there's another really well preserved temple but it's really out of the main temple area, name I also forget-sorry! Perhaps it's Ta Prom?

You can't catch any sunrise if you're not up before the sun rises, right?;) I picked a day, got up around 4.30am, got to Angkor just before 5am, set up and waited. You won't be alone, trust me but do bring 'OFF' or whatever insect repellent of choice you use as there's bound to be mozzies as there's a lake surrounding Angkor! After the sunrises, if you're not too sleepy, walk around the temple and it's grounds. If not, head back for some zzz's before visiting the temple again.

Oh, if you know how to ride a bike, that's a good option-rent one and move around on it. Gives you flexibility to stop and choose your location but don't forget your sunblock as well!Have fun!

Thanks. ;)

There isn't any macro to take? Hmmm... so I will not bring 70-300 macro. Lighter to travel.

What about Angkor Thom? Sunrise for Angkor Wat / Sunset for another temple but not Angkor Wat?

As you mentioned. Do we need a license to ride the motor bike? Where to rent?

The sunset place should be at Phnom Bakheng.
Another sunrise place is Srah Srang.

andrew_73 said:
Dude,

Personal opinion here but I don't think you'll be using your 70-300 much. The 18-70 and your new 10-20 should suffice as you'll probably be shooting mostly scenery and daily life, or that's what I did when I was there last.

Angkor is great for sunrise, there's another for sunset but I forget the name of it but I do remember it's always busy at sunset so if you can get there early, you can pick a good spot at the vantage point on top of the temple area. Bayon is a must see and there's another really well preserved temple but it's really out of the main temple area, name I also forget-sorry! Perhaps it's Ta Prom?

You can't catch any sunrise if you're not up before the sun rises, right?;) I picked a day, got up around 4.30am, got to Angkor just before 5am, set up and waited. You won't be alone, trust me but do bring 'OFF' or whatever insect repellent of choice you use as there's bound to be mozzies as there's a lake surrounding Angkor! After the sunrises, if you're not too sleepy, walk around the temple and it's grounds. If not, head back for some zzz's before visiting the temple again.

Oh, if you know how to ride a bike, that's a good option-rent one and move around on it. Gives you flexibility to stop and choose your location but don't forget your sunblock as well!Have fun!

Licence? Whassat? Ok, if you're confident enough and have ridden a motorcycle, I'm sure you can handle a 70-80cc moped, right? If you're not confident, don't risk it! I don't wanna be seen as an advocate of such activities!

My rest house owner didn't ask for a licence and charged me US8/day for the bike. Gas is on your own, US2 for 'imported' and US1 for local petrol, 1.5l in recycled PET bottles(soft drink bottles) You can see them by the side of the road almost everywhere. If you're willing to spend a tad bit more, say US25-30, I think that buys you a car with a driver for a day.

Do note that all this was about 3-4years back. I'm not sure if things have changed and laws tightened. Go find out, enjoy yourself and post your pics! Have fun!

cheers

Thanks for the info although it was 3 years ago. :D

To take sunrise of angkor wat, get there before 5.30am. There is a pond on the right hand side and that is the good location to take sunrise shot.

Hire a driver and a car. You can arrange the driver to pick you up at 5am.

For sunrise, what kind of lens you use and what aperture?

easier... get a good guide book, like D&K.... got loads of picture and info abt what to see and how to go, when to go, etc... there's a "Small Circuit" and "Great Circuit", and even temples beyond the circuits, and Lake Tonle Sap. We can only advise you so much, you can discover more by reading up ;p

btw instead of hiring a car for $25-$30 a day, get a tuk tuk for $10-12 a day if you have 1-2 person.

And that's in singapore dollars? Thanks.

andrew_73 said:
Licence? Whassat? Ok, if you're confident enough and have ridden a motorcycle, I'm sure you can handle a 70-80cc moped, right? If you're not confident, don't risk it! I don't wanna be seen as an advocate of such activities!

My rest house owner didn't ask for a licence and charged me US8/day for the bike. Gas is on your own, US2 for 'imported' and US1 for local petrol, 1.5l in recycled PET bottles(soft drink bottles) You can see them by the side of the road almost everywhere. If you're willing to spend a tad bit more, say US25-30, I think that buys you a car with a driver for a day.

Do note that all this was about 3-4years back. I'm not sure if things have changed and laws tightened. Go find out, enjoy yourself and post your pics! Have fun!

cheers
Try to go to Banteay Srei (If I recall the name correctly). They have well preserved pink carvings. Very intricate and awesome!!

This is what it looks like.
IMG_0424.jpg

IMG_0425.jpg

Some other pictures I took at Siem Reap. Very nice place, must go back again :)

IMG_0296.jpg

IMG_0436.jpg

sgfriend said:
For sunrise, what kind of lens you use and what aperture?

28mm~75mm len should be enough :)

Wow, awesome pic :bigeyes:

Thanks guys for the valuable information. I am leaving on the 2/2 and back on 6/2. Errr... very short vacation so have not plan where to go first yet.

Actually 5 days 4 nights is more than enough at Siem Reap, especially if you were going there for a packaged tour. However, if you are visiting free-and-easy, then it'd be advisable for you to plan out your itinerary properly, i.e. going from the less well-preserved ones and leave Angkor Wat on the last day.

Believe me, it will make you ohhh and ahhh rather than you visit Angkor Wat on first day, and then the rest of the trip is only so so, spoils your excitement.

Will try to get some reference for you, as I think I still have my previous itinerary at home.

Just got back from Siem Reap yesterday morning. The temples are AWESOME!!
TIP #1:
Wanted to book the numerous guided tours offered (Introduction Tour US$20 pp, Grand Circuit Tour US$25, Bantaey Srei Tour US$25 pp, etc) but we met many others tourists who told us that we should get to know the temples by reading up the guide books (available at many places from US$2 to 6, or simply borrow from National Library) and then move on our own. It proved to be more enjoyable as we could move at our own pace, stopped to enjoy the sights whenever the scene tugs your feelings. Save your US$ for food and transport because everything is in US$ and its a bit pricey. If you have no time to read up from now until CNY, then no choice but to take the tours....

TIP #2:
As there is no public tpt, you will need tpt to get to all food/shopping/temples - so get a personal driver for the whole duration. We flagged a tuk tuk off the street, got him to be our personal driver for the whole 5 days for US$50 .... not sure if its a great bargain, but we got to everywhere we want - to near and far temples (Banteay Srei is far and most tuk tuk charges extra to travel the distance), we freely moved to restaurants for food, to old market and several places for shopping ....... sorry for being so long winded, but this is a good tip. You may get a better price, but we didnt want to bargain too much because he looked so poor thing already.

TIP #2:
And we got another good tip, get a printed photo so that you can get a 3 day pass. This pass costs US$40, otherwise, pay US$20 per day. Go get the pass done at around 4-4.30pm on the day you arrive at Siem Reap, and you can enter the temple area for free that night, cos the pass will start the next day. At 5.30pm, go to Bakheng Temple area to see sunset .... its a bit tough to climb up that hill top temple, but a ga-zillion tourists will be doing the same too.

TIP #3: You will need a small flashlight so that the climb down after sunset will be safer. The steps are very very shallow and time has worned out the corners. It will also help you move about for the sunrise visits, and when you venture dark temple tunnels.

Aiyo, I am so long winded ... better stop here, unless you want more 'tips'.

MLSK said:
TIP #2:
And we got another good tip, get a printed photo so that you can get a 3 day pass. This pass costs US$40, otherwise, pay US$20 per day. Go get the pass done at around 4-4.30pm on the day you arrive at Siem Reap,

Aiyo, I am so long winded ... better stop here, unless you want more 'tips'.

wat type of pass r u talking about? where to do it? been to angkor wat once but on packaged tour, good thing is only 4pax. but want to go again...

yes, pls, more tips pls... :thumbsup: :D

:) MSLK, more tips leh... so helpful one. Thanks. Which place did you visit and how long did you stay there?

Do we pay the tuk tuk on the first day or on the last day?

:) noom69, need your itinerary for reference. Thanks.

:thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

ckc1 said:
wat type of pass r u talking about? where to do it? been to angkor wat once but on packaged tour, good thing is only 4pax. but want to go again...

yes, pls, more tips pls... :thumbsup: :D

This is a laminated ticket with a passport picture stating the starting and ending date of visit to the temple complex. An office there can provide the service of taking instant photos ..... at a fee ..... in US$.

Status
Not open for further replies.