Thirsty Hippo warning

Status
Not open for further replies.

ricohflex

Feb 24, 2005
sing
I just found out.

The Hard Way. Ouch!

Warning - Thirsty Hippo moisture absorbing chemical packs if left for long periods will leak from the packaging.

The chemical is very corrosive and marks anything with a dark irremovable stain.

It damaged two pairs of my unused brand new shoes.

If you leave your expensive camera equipment with the stuff......

Habis.

Gone case.

Last edited:
How does it leak from the packaging? The housing is quite thick plastic right?

The chemical is very corrosive and marks anything with a dark irremovable stain.
The so called "corrosive chemical" used in thirsty hippo is in fact actually just calcium chloride (CaCl2), a form of anhydrous common salt, it is also extremely hygroscopic and reacts with water (H2O) to form...

CaCl2 + 2 H2O → CaCl2·2H2O

... salt water, otherwise AKA brine.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Removing salt stain on shoes, hope that helps. ;)

Last edited:
normal salt is Sodium Chloride, NaCl, not Calcium Chloride CaCl2 though

calcium chloride (CaCl2), a form of anhydrous common salt,

normal salt is Sodium Chloride, NaCl, not Calcium Chloride CaCl2 though

Wikipedia said:
Calcium chloride, CaCl2, is a common salt. It behaves as a typical ionic halide, and is solid at room temperature. It has several common applications such as brine for refrigeration plants, ice and dust control on roads, and in concrete.

common =/= normal!

Ya, also notice if you put it too long and it's inside become liquid and tend to leak if you tilt it.

Actually becoming liquid is the end result of a thirsty hippo, and is no indication that it has been put "too long".

But yes, with all thirsty hippos, come the risk of tilting and having the liquid fall out. That said, I still can't quite understand how it will leak if left sitting properly upright.

Ya, also notice if you put it too long and it's inside become liquid and tend to leak if you tilt it.

Actually, If it is properly sealed where moisture cannot enter, it will not turn liquid no matter how long it have been kept..

Actually, If it is properly sealed where moisture cannot enter, it will not turn liquid no matter how long it have been kept..

i thought it does?

if not it absorbs the water, what happens to the water?

The plastic will crack after a while.. Especially if you get the 3rd party ones. My wife places them in disposable PP containers before putting them in the cupboard because they have leaked before. I have never recommended these for photographic equipment. Best is a dry cabinet or new generation green-orange indicating silica gel. The blue-pink indicating silica gels are potentially carcinogenic because of the cobalt chloride used as the indicator.

Last edited:
Eh, if it is so sealed such that moisture cannot enter, then how will it do its job?

Oh.. I guess I have mis-read the question. Under normal usage, yes, it has to be exposed to the environment (via porous cover) for it to do its job. And it will absorb so much water such that it will dissolve in the absorbed water.

When he said "if put too long", I misread it as "if kept too long (without usage and w/o exposure to the atmosphere) during storage". my mistake..

i thought it does?

if not it absorbs the water, what happens to the water?

Eh, if it is so sealed such that moisture cannot enter, then how will it do its job?

I was using the ones in sachet form. Not the ones in a plastic box.
Actually it may not be Thirsty Hippo brand at all.

(Can Moderator change the Title to : Moisture Absorbing Chemical Sachet warning)

I bought mine from a place -- maybe Daiso. It had Japanese or Korean instructions that I could not understand.

So it was my fault actually. For not using the product in the right way. It was not the product's fault. I surfed and found out that I should only use it for 6 weeks. Then take it out and throw. But I left it in shoe box for 1 year 8 months.

I don't know how it leaked. This is my guess: It leaked because the chemical in the plastic sachet is hygroscopic. It keeps absorbing moisture....the chemical inside turns to liquid and swells. It reaches a point where liquid pressure is so great that it bursts the plastic lining of the sachet at the sides. Then the liquid mix of water and chemical flows out.

I decided to throw away my brand new unused Hush Puppies shoes. Thought over it a while....if I insist to wear the shoes. The chemical will be infused into the leather. It will penetrate the socks easily and contact the skin on my feet. For hours everyday.

Asking for trouble, right?

Will it lead to some nasty (extremely expensive to treat and painful) skin aliment?
Don't know. Never take such unnecessary risks. Chuck the shoes.

I surfed and found out that others have also experienced leaks.
http://soft.com.sg/forum/gear-guitar/47333-thirsty-hippos-any-cheaper-alternative.html

read the posts by niteblade #5 and leonardchng #6

Last edited:
calcium chloride is pretty harmless bah.. unless of course you fiddle too much with the anhydride..

its in food.. dumped into swimming pools and all that.. just to regulate the calcium content of anything...

Will it lead to some nasty (extremely expensive to treat and painful) skin aliment?
Don't know. Never take such unnecessary risks. Chuck the shoes.
Not unless your skin is allergic or sensitive to salt, calcium chloride (CaCl2) is also used as a form of food addictive. ;)

there may be a chance that the substance used is CaO (quicklime)? If that is the case, the substance will be corrosive.

In any case, just flushing with water should get rid of the chemicals.

The so called "corrosive chemical" used in thirsty hippo is in fact actually just calcium chloride (CaCl2), a form of anhydrous common salt, it is also extremely hygroscopic and reacts with water (H2O) to form...

CaCl2 + 2 H2O → CaCl2·2H2O

... salt water, otherwise AKA brine.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Removing salt stain on shoes, hope that helps. ;)

.. cant remember ... bring back memory

Status
Not open for further replies.