Third party/manual focus lens for Samsung NX cameras

ColdFreak

Jun 26, 2012
Singapore
Hi,

I am a Samsung NX11 user who is looking for a lens to get. As there are quite limited selection of lenses, i was wondering is there any good 3rd party lenses that can be used? If an adaptor is used, how do you control the aperture size? I have also seen many NX users on CS using other brand's lenses via an adaptor, hope that your can share your experiences with me. Thanks for the help!

Using 3rd party adaptor usually means no AF, so it doesn't make sense to use AF lenses which usually dun have aperture ring. Ppl usually adapt the older film camera lenses with mirrorless bodies, like OM, SR(MD, MC), FD lenses etc.

Some adaptors on eBay claim to have aperture control on AF lenses, but I don't know how they actually work.

ColdFreak said:
i see.. any recommendations?

No experience but eBay has quite a number of NX adapters on the cheap. Apart from quality which can be a hit n miss, you have to check if they allow (manual) aperture control for many of the modern lenses without the aperture rings, metering chips etc

Alternatively it seems German Novoflex has a number of various NX adapters that allows manual aperture control. Each adapter will come up to easily more than 200 sgd a piece.

Ryan

giantcanopy said:
No experience but eBay has quite a number of NX adapters on the cheap. Apart from quality which can be a hit n miss, you have to check if they allow (manual) aperture control for many of the modern lenses without the aperture rings, metering chips etc

Alternatively it seems German Novoflex has a number of various NX adapters that allows manual aperture control. Each adapter will come up to easily more than 200 sgd a piece.

Ryan

I personally used fotga adapters (cheap eBay brand, but no issues with fit and infinite focus) with my NEX, and if u r on a tight budget like me, you wouldn't go wrong with it, and older (cheaper) lenses with mounts like OM, MD, m42, PK etc. Or even 3rd party MF lenses for modern mounts like EF/Nikon (fisheye?), if NX don't already have those.

Officially, Samsung has a Pentax K mount > NX mount adapter.
This adapter is avaliable in some stores selling Samsung NX cameras (I've seen them in Harvey Norman stores)

The flange distance for the NX series allows Pentax, Nikon, Sony, Canon, Minolta SLR, Leica R, lenses to be mounted via an adapter.
Adapters are avaliable on Ebay.
Adapters usually come in 2 types.
No aperture ring - for lenses that have their own aperture ring
Aperture Ring - for lenses that don't have an aperture ring.

The latter works for both lenses with and w/o aperture ring and are therefore more expensive than the former.

LTM and M mount usage is doubtful. I've read various things about its usability on NX. The general consensus was that the NX mount flange distance was just a bit 'over' to be compatible. not sure if this is addressed on newer models since NX10.
Those in the know may better answer this, that I can.

Personally, I think Samsung has one of the best lens offerings for APS-C MILC cameras (relatively small for APS-C; relatively cheap, good performance, fast, good typically used focal lengths), and with the couple of primes that are already avaliable, its covering 80-90% of what an enthusiast needs. So even if there are less lenses on offer, they are generally all that is needed.

Last edited:
I'm using M42 to NX adapter to use manual lenses.

So far, I have 4 lenses:
Helios 44M 58mm f2.0
Zenitar M2s 50mm f2.0
Jupiter-9 85mm f2.0
Vivitar 28mm f2.8 (so far, my favourite for now)