Third Party Battery

Prajna

May 10, 2011
Hi everyone, I know it is not a very good question to ask as third party battery is cheap, just asking for some opinion.

I'm looking to replace the batteries for my 50D. With battery grip, 1 original battery and 1 unknown brand battery, with flash, I can only get less than 300 shots.

My questions:
Is Phottix a good third party battery?
If so, how long will it last?
Some review says that u cant see the power level on that battery, is it true?

Thanks. Thinking of getting a bunch at one go...

To see if the battery level will show or not, check with the seller if the battery is chipped. if its chipped, you should be able to charge it using canon's charger as well.

To see if the battery level will show or not, check with the seller if the battery is chipped. if its chipped, you should be able to charge it using canon's charger as well.

why would a BP511A be chipped?

Hope I'm not too late to be of help. I have a 450D with 1 original and 1 3rd party, also by Phottix. As far as I've experienced (I shot about 10k shots in total), the Phottix battery performed identical to the Canon Battery. I didn't measure the performances per se, but, in general perception, I did not feel any difference between the two.

What's more, is that I just went to Japan in February, and been in subzero conditions for about 10 days in total (lowest was -9C), and both batteries still performed the same, about 1-2 days (I only shoot 100 pics a day), and were serving me very well (along with my camera of course).

Hi everyone, I know it is not a very good question to ask as third party battery is cheap, just asking for some opinion.

I'm looking to replace the batteries for my 50D. With battery grip, 1 original battery and 1 unknown brand battery, with flash, I can only get less than 300 shots.

My questions:
Is Phottix a good third party battery?
If so, how long will it last?
Some review says that u cant see the power level on that battery, is it true?

Thanks. Thinking of getting a bunch at one go...

Hey there..I'm using the exact setup as you..I have a 50D using orig batt grip and flash..was shooting my fren's wedding and I got about 900+ shots using 2 Chromage batts..so far no complains with the batteries..you can consider getting them..

Haha, thanks for the help guys...

I have been using the phottix BP-511A for the past 2 years on my 50D. all i can say is its good and has never once fail me. worth every cent:thumbsup:

I have been using the phottix BP-511A for the past 2 years on my 50D. all i can say is its good and has never once fail me. worth every cent:thumbsup:

If u have a chance to use the battery in video mode then you will know whether Phottix is good or not. I have ok performance in photo mode but in video mode, it simply cannot make it and drained off too fast.

If u have a chance to use the battery in video mode then you will know whether Phottix is good or not. I have ok performance in photo mode but in video mode, it simply cannot make it and drained off too fast.
50D has no video mode.

Magic Lantern gives it video capability.

I am using 6 x eneloop batteries in the battery grip for my 5d2. Not bad, can get close to 1000 shots. At least don't have to spend ridiculous money to buy the original batteries. 6 x AA envelops will cost u less than 25 bucks.

I am using 6 x eneloop batteries in the battery grip for my 5d2. Not bad, can get close to 1000 shots. At least don't have to spend ridiculous money to buy the original batteries. 6 x AA envelops will cost u less than 25 bucks.

3rd party compatible ones are about $30/- give or take.

AA idea is good. It last very long. Until im scared not knowing when its finishing, haha.

If you're just gonna use your cam in "comfortable conditions" it's fine, otherwise, I'd recommend against AAs. Regardless of Eneloop/GP/Energizer.
My friend and I were in Kyoto just in February. Temperatures were near, but not below zero. Despite being fully charged, he could not fire more than a few shots (around 10 or so I recall) shots off his battery grip from his 7D without it dying on him, and then having to rest a few minutes off, before taking again. NiMHs don't really have much tolerance for cold weather. You need lithiums if you're serious about shooting under any conditions, even those that a normal traveler will experience.

If you're just gonna use your cam in "comfortable conditions" it's fine, otherwise, I'd recommend against AAs. Regardless of Eneloop/GP/Energizer.
My friend and I were in Kyoto just in February. Temperatures were near, but not below zero. Despite being fully charged, he could not fire more than a few shots (around 10 or so I recall) shots off his battery grip from his 7D without it dying on him, and then having to rest a few minutes off, before taking again. NiMHs don't really have much tolerance for cold weather. You need lithiums if you're serious about shooting under any conditions, even those that a normal traveler will experience.

He must be using alkaline batteries. Had the same problem/phenomena with a friend's compact some 9 years back in -20C temperatures. 4 shots out of a fresh pack of alkaline batteries.

Edit: Oops ... missed the 'charged' part ... :bsmilie:

Lithium based batteries are only mildly affected by the cold. In the range of 20-30% if not kept out in the cold. Ni-Mh about 50% but drops as temperature drops further. Alkaline's are practically at 5-10% once temperature drops below 10 degree C.

Last edited: