Third party battery - K-7 battery D-LI90 replacement by DiViPower

fengwei

Aug 25, 2004
Queenstown
www.pbase.com
If you know me well, you should know that I seldome use third party stuff unless they are really good. Here I'm doing a short review of a third party battery which I got about a month ago, PT-D-LI90 for Pentax K-7 camera by DIVIPower.

Here is the battery:

DIVIPower_K7_Battery_1.jpg

And its comparison w/ the original Pentax D-LI90 (on the right):

DIVIPower_K7_Battery_2.jpg

On the outside, the battery looks pretty well made. The obvious difference is on the back of the battery: it's rated at 7.2v 3500mAh while the Pentax original battery is only 7.2v 1860mAh. We all know that third party batteries tend to have higher rate on mAh but they actually don't last as long as the original ones.

So how does this 3500mAh battery perform? I put the freshly charged battery (which took a bit longer to charge btw, probably due to its higher mAh) in my K-7 about 3 weeks ago, it finally went flat yesterday. I took total of 1405 shots w/ this battery alone! And I used LiveView (which eats battery!) quite often, not to say a lot of playbacks and change settings on the camera. That's pretty good for a third party battery, definitely lasts longer than the original Pentax one. And this is only on the first charge. We all know that Lithium-Ion batteries would perform batter after a few round of charge-discharge. Hopefully this one will get even better after some use.

I don't know how long the battery can last eventually, only time can tell. But one thing for sure, at 1/4 cost of the original Pentax battery, I think it's really worth it.

If you still think Pentax battery is a batter option, please take mine at a discounted price (I got two original ones, but I don't mine letting them go in favor of this third party battery) ;)

Cheers and Happy Shooting!

Last edited:
Thanks for the heads-up.

Now the obvious question, where to get one? :)

I do agree with higher rating of 3500mAh vs the original 1860mAh, I can shoot more with 1 charge.
Mine is still holding since it was charged after acquired it durng the Chinatown shoot.:)

Thanks for the review.
I have been trying out this battery as well.
It has also lasted me 3 weeks on 1st charge.
My usage has not included liveview, but usage has been with liberal use of review and probably 20% on-camera flash (used to trigger off camera flash).
I started with file 101-2705 and ended with 101-3459 so its 754 shots, much less than you, but review and flash are batt eaters.
I'm actually been quite impressed with my 2 non-pentax batteries so far. Easily lasting longer, for 1/5 the price. I think a total of 3 batteries will last me for the lifespan of my K7.

Well I also got a my hands on a replacement K-7 battery by DiVipower (3500 mAh), same as what fengwei is using and to date I still haven't depleted it (about 1K of shots so far and counting) so this battery is outstanding. Got the battery from Manly. :thumbsup:

A few months earlier, I also bought two pieces of 7.4V 1800 mAh third party batteries from eBay and the performance while not as outstanding as the DiVipower 3500mAh, is actually not far off compared to the original Pentax D-Li90.

K-7_3rdpartybattery_a.jpg

Guess which other camera besides the K-7 uses the D-Li90? Hint, hint...
So all you K-7 users with plenty of batteries lying around know which camera to aspire to. :eek:

40.jpg

buy a BG for this to have additional battery slot... :bsmilie:

BTW, thanks for the heads up original ones too expensive... :(

Last edited:
where to get Divipower guys?

Courtesy of the CEO of divipower.

He replaced my divipower canon 50D BP-511A battery too. But I have not used enough to give a review yet.

My only quelms is that the new divipower is different in colour to the old which is the same as the Original Canon battery.

Yes, I can vouch here that this battery is very juicy and long lasting ............ :)

According to Gengh's price list, the oriiinal battery is $109-$125! :bigeyes:
Does this mean this compatible model is less than $30? :)

According to Gengh's price list, the oriiinal battery is $109-$125! :bigeyes:
Does this mean this compatible model is less than $30? :)

yep ...$25 or thereabout.

Got mine from Manly today. Pay $28; and that's fine. I have used Div batteries on my Fuji FinePix s100fs as well; with no problem. The original Pentax costs $91 at SLR Revo. With 2 batteries; that's enough to last for many shots. So a battery grip of $400 may be an overkill and more real estate for the bag.

Wah.. thats very cheap for such a good battery...

Anyone knowing where can I get online or in Malaysia?
Where's the made from? Hopefuly not PRC stuff =.=

Anyone knowing where can I get online or in Malaysia?
Where's the made from? Hopefuly not PRC stuff =.=

It's made in China.

What's wrong w/ PRC stuff? Some hottest gadgets like ipad/iphone are made in China too ...