Thinkpads Can *BOOM* Too

Status
Not open for further replies.

Klose

Feb 15, 2005
NearJPG.jpg

FarJPG.jpg

Notice the circular hotspot on the floor where the thing actually burned.

witness account:

"So we're waiting for a flight in the United lounge at LAX, the flight next to ours was heading to London and in the middle of final boarding, when suddenly this guy comes running the wrong way up the jetway, pushing other boarding passengers out of the way, he quickly drops his laptop on the floor and the thing immediately flares up like a giant firework for about 15 seconds, then catches fire. About a hundred other people in the lounge jumped up and began a mix of gawking and general panic, I clearly heard a few fleeing individuals saying something about terrorists. The fire burned for a minute while everybody just stared at it, then another flare up, this one much larger than the first, drove a larger group of gawkers away. Eventually, the high intensity flaring calmed down and a larger fire kicked in, all the while letting off a thick cloud of white smoke that was slowly filling the terminal. Finally, an employee came over with a fire extinguisher and put it out of its misery.

I spoke to the laptop owner (while getting close for some pictures!) and he said he his laptop was an IBM, that he had checked the battery against the recalls on the net and his battery wasn't a recall. I don't remember seeing any IBM laptops nuke themselves yet on Gizmodo, just MacBooks and Dells with Sony batteries, but it was a close call nonetheless. If that thing had fired off while that plane was in the air, who knows what would have happened.

Also, we got to overhear some of the not-so-computer-literate people on our flight talking about how laptop batteries can explode if you "get too many viruses on your computer."

http://www.gizmodo.com/gadgets/laptops/gizmodo-reader-witnesses-ibm-laptop-catch-fire-at-lax-201115.php

dunno.. the whole place so look so weird, like the picture was PSed..

Thinkpads nowadays by Lenovo (China), not surprising..
that's why so cheap also.

those with serial number start with LT-xxxxx are manufactured by Lenovo.
only the earlier models like T20, T21, T22 23, T30, T40, T41 and early T42 by IBM.

freebsd said:
Thinkpads nowadays by Lenovo (China), not surprising..
that's why so cheap also.

those with serial number start with LT-xxxxx are manufactured by Lenovo.
only the earlier models like T20, T21, T22 23, T30, T40, T41 and early T42 by IBM.

I think that comment was quite uncalled for. first of all the batteries are at fault, even though they are made in china, it has nothing to do with lenovo. besides are you sure the IBM ones are not made in china? probably in the very same plants that are now making the lenovo thinkpads.

just in case, I don't work for IBM and don't even like thinkpads, IBM or otherwise.

you don't like Thinkpads then that's your problem..
nobody asking whether you like Thinkpads.

thread title is "Thinkpads Can *BOOM* Too " and not "Would you buy a Thinkpad?"
duh...

Reminder to all CS'ers, CS is a public forum, any form of defamatory statement is strongly discouraged.

Thread hereby closed.

Status
Not open for further replies.