Thinking of going to Angkor Wat for shoot

Status
Not open for further replies.

spuddy

Feb 25, 2003
Central
Visit site
Two of us are thinking of going to Angkor Wat for a photo shoot. Anyone has any cheap lobangs? We dont mind if it is a bit rough. :light:

The cheapest way that I know of is to go there by yourself, not through travel agents. Buy a coach ticket to go to Bangkok, or fly to Bangkok. Then fromt Bangkok you can get cheap bus tickets to Siem Reap from the travel agents along Khao San Rd. However, you will have to change bus at the Thai-Cambodia border. And the bus over the Cambodia side might turn out to be a pick-up instead of a mini-bus. That was what happen to me. So I end up riding on the open back of a pickup with 12 other passengers, huddle together for more than 6 hours. By the time we reach Siem Reap we were covered in a layer of brown dust. So be careful of your camera equipment.

Hi....
Went to Ang Kor Wat two years back.... Very nice place... like you, was on a backpacking trip, cos no $$$...

Like what ceramic mentioned, go to Bangkok, find the famous Khao San Rd.... lots of small travel agents around... ask ard... remember to check with them all the details of the travel...like cost, what kind of bus,etc... It's true that sometimes over at Cambodia border, the mini-bus will become a lorry...so ask first!!! Reason: The road to Siem Reap is not "smooth"... bouncy,rocky,and dusty..not to mentioned very long... abt 6 hrs i think?? (Not too sure..)

Anyway, read up on the lonely planet guide book for cambodia...very useful.. accomdomation wise...lots of guesthouses ard.. ask for price first. The one i went to was good...family style... and big spacious bungolow type... I think i still have the namecard of that place, if u need...
How long do u intend to stay there? ...
Need anything, If i can help, I will...
Cheers,
Zapline.

I just been there recently. Maybe you would like to read what I type here:

From Khao San Road, this is the way they manage it.
It is quite cheap to travel from Bangkok to Siam Reap, Cambodia. They have quite a good road system in Thailand but not after the border between Thailand and Cambodia. They will use van/ mini bus to send you from Khao San, Bangkok to the border. After that, (be careful when you cross the border, lot of pickpockets and beggars) you need to walk quite far to a nearer shop to wait for the transport from the border to Siam Reap (they separate the transport into 2: Thailand and Cambodia). In Cambodia, at most they will use minibus to send you all to Siam Reap.

There is a catch:
Normally, they will cooperate with each other that they send you all to their own guesthouse in Siam Reap. (from what I have found, one or two dollars more expensive per day, and for motor ride, around few dollars more expensive per day). So, after a whole day (7 to 8 hours) bumpy road trip, NEVER yield to them. Don't worry, cause Siam Reap town is quite small, not so big. Most of the guesthouses are within short walking distance. I have checked already, the one I stayed, ripped us off a bit (S***!). and a bit farther from the town and that one is not far from another guesthouse.

One thing you can do is just stay one night in any guesthouse you can find at the first night.

The second day, try to wake up earlier and bargain with other guesthouses and get the price you want. Normally, since they want businesses (it is a lot of $$$, man, cause mostly you will stay there, hire tourguides there and so forth) therefore they will give you some good prices!

Hope you can have a nice trip.;)

when r u going and for how long? if it's like last week of march and about 7-8 days i might be able to make it.
is this bangkok thing the only logical way of getting there?

i'm headed there for my 2nd trip in 6 months come end April. I'm flying to Phnom Phen via KL on MAS for S$450 and catching a boat to SR from there (US$20 one way. 3 hrs)

Great idea! I have been dreaming it for months :)
Most probably, we severla friends will start the trip in May.
We planned for around 9 days travel. Is that enough for both
landscape view and photography?

I got several questions for those ever-been-there backpackers.
1> If go by thailand, how long will it take from bangkok to seam rip?
2> If go by thailand, where can I get a visa? ( oh, I am a chinese who will be asked for visa anywhere, hehe)
3> anyone got any idea on the fee of direct flight? The one I got from silk air homepage is beyong $600... kinda too expen.
hope can get great shots there
:rolleyes:

Visa can be obtained at the Cambodia embassy in Bangkok... takes about a few days to clear....

Or alternatively, can try the Cambodia embassy in Singapore before going....

Can't remember how much i paid for it..... think abt $50 Sing...

add of singapore's cambodia embassy:
Royal Embassy of Cambodia
152 Beach Road
#11-05 Gateway East
Singapore 189721

or can visit http://www.mfa.gov.sg/consular/visa/idx_visa.htm for visa requirement informations...

Cheers,
Zapline

For more info....
May be you could try to borrow the lonely planet's guide on Cambodia from the library or so... try to get the lastest edition...
All the info u need is there.

Cheers,
Zapline.

wow, thank zapline! very much!

I checked the return tickets to cambodia provided by
silk air this afternoon. They asked for 1000+!!!!!!
Godness...

I did some checks. There is a 3D/2N free & easy package for S$708/= which includes return airfare by Silkair, 2-way transfer,2N stay &breakfast. Extension is S$50 per person. Tax not included. :rbounce:

:rbounce:
Good news! In todays ST Life Travel page, there is a Free & easy 3D/2N package for S$608/= with S$30extension per person per nite with daily bfast in a 2 Star hotel. The 2nd person gets a 50% discount.
It works out to S$575/= p.p for a 4D/3N when you even out for 2. Factoring in S$50/= per day (S$150 total will set one back by S$725/=. Not too bad at all!
:bsmilie:

I rushed dowstairs and grabbed one ST.
Then went to the mekong air web site checking for the return tickets price. Seems we can simply buy their tickets and find hotels in seam rip by ourselves. According to the travel diaries online, the twin guest room with air-con and bathroom costs no more than $10 one day.

In Cambodia, they use US$ almost exclusively.... so things might not be very cheap. But think the trip will be very worth it.

isn't it cheaper to go on some budget airline to chiangmai or somewhere in thailand (or to cambodia if they fly there) and then trudge there urself?

:eek:

Yes, it may be cheaper; but your will have to spend at least a day each way. The flight to Bangkok is about an hour and the trip to the border will take some time. After that is 6 hours on an open pick-up.

The flight to Seam Reap takes about 3 hours by Mekong Air.

The other factor is comfort.

and the transfer from Siem Reap to lodgings / the wat is ... how long?

Status
Not open for further replies.