Thinking of getting Starhub's Hubstation . . .

Status
Not open for further replies.

iteach

Aug 2, 2007
Hi,

I'm thinking of getting Starhub's Hubstation for the purpose digital video recording. For people who have used it, I would appreciate it if you could comment on its ease of use, picture quality and etc. I understand that the firmware was rather buggy when it was first launched last year.

picture quality alot better than using a digital set top box couple with a hdd recorder at best.

cos the digital set top only output composite, so when passed thru to the hdd recorder, its still composite quality recording even thou you use component or hdmi to the tv. the hubstation output to tv with component and no drop of quality from source to encoding. so not bad.

if you have a HD box then its another story altogether.

So far so good. You will not miss any channel as you can schedule to record them.

It is good for people will like to watch a lot of the SH channels.

SG only 1 HD channel... so sad.

Only good thing abt the Hubstation is that if you record a lot of program, it is easy n fast. Compare to a digital set up box plus dvd-recorder.

Down side of the hubstation, no DVD recorder, need to output to one if you want to burn on it. Super downside of the hubstation, only one repair place at hougang and if you bring it in for the first time when spoilt, you will get :angry: as the service is :thumbsd:

I've got one and it's great - record a lot more than I did when I had a HDD DVD player. So simple to flick through the listings and set things up to record. Picture quality is noticeably better than normal set-top box.

I've been using the Hubstation when it was first launched IIRC last year.

No problem so far and it's natural cooled without any external fan.

HTH.

I've been using it for about a month now.
Great points: Convenient choosing programmes to record. Free internet. Discount for Sports package.

Bad points: Haven't encountered any yet.

Hi folks,

Thanks for the candid comments on Hubstation, I found them to be particularly useful in guiding my purchase. I guess I will exchange my digital set-top box with a Hubstation over the weekend. By the way, the Hubstation will be used primarily to record my girl's favorite programmes on the Disney's Playhouse Channel (Channel 034). :embrass:

it's one of those "should have gotten it earlier" item.

BUT, the unit tends to over heat, both me and my dad's unit stopped working within 2 days when we got it. Exchange was quite an easy process if done within 7 days, just bring it back to SH for 1 to 1 exchange, but still it's a slight hassle.

You need to prop it up and let enough air movement around the unit to prevent it from overheating. When it is running, it is probably hot enough to use as a food warmer. :bsmilie:

Considering getting the Hubstation.

Question: Is it possible to output the recorded content so that I may get it onto a PC? I was thinking of downloading as video unto an iPod touch..

Aiyahh.Just do a HTPC.Pop in a capture card that work well and you have a recorder and player that can multitask and browse internet but it is hard if you don't like to build computer but dell have a solution so consider it as well.

If your Hubstation experience delay or slowness while startup, it is time to perform HD optimization. There is an option for it and the code is 6 zeros. Please take note that it will wipe out all your recorded programmes. What happen if you don't it ? Just happen to me last month, the unit refused to boot up and got to send it to Thomson Service Centre.

Hi, wonder how long do they need to repair the hubstation. Mine bought 5 days ago and having boot up problem. Sometime reset during watching... will be sending down today for repair.

If your Hubstation experience delay or slowness while startup, it is time to perform HD optimization. There is an option for it and the code is 6 zeros. Please take note that it will wipe out all your recorded programmes. What happen if you don't it ? Just happen to me last month, the unit refused to boot up and got to send it to Thomson Service Centre.

Hi, wonder how long do they need to repair the hubstation. Mine bought 5 days ago and having boot up problem. Sometime reset during watching... will be sending down today for repair.
On the spot. If your unit is within 7 working days, you should exchange it at the Starhub service centre where you bought it.

Status
Not open for further replies.