Thinking of getting a Ultra-wide Angle that is compatiable with FF sensors

weeloong

Jan 4, 2011
Hi all,

started shooting with a DSLR (Canon 550D) about a year back.

I currently have 2 lenses, the kit 18-135 and a 50mm 1.8.

I'm thinking of upgrading my body (want better focusing, and faster continuous shooting speeds... but also thinking of going FF in search of better dynamic range and high ISO performance - but think it will have to wait.. $$ concerns) but now I think that it's perhaps better to get 1 more lens or upgrade my current lenses.

I take all kinds of photos.. but 1 thing lacking in my kit now is an ultra wide angle (since my 18mm is effectively a 28mm)..

What will be a good ultra-wide zoom lenses to consider which is compatiable with an FF camera as I dun want to have to change lenses once I eventually get my FF body..

Please advise..

16-35mm? 17-40mm? hardly an ultra wide angle on your current camera.

Sigma 12-24mm, sure can work on your current camera and a FF camera.

Hi all,

I'm thinking of upgrading my body (want better focusing, and faster continuous shooting speeds... but also thinking of going FF in search of better dynamic range and high ISO performance - but think it will have to wait.. $$ concerns) but now I think that it's perhaps better to get 1 more lens or upgrade my current lenses.

I take all kinds of photos.. but 1 thing lacking in my kit now is an ultra wide angle (since my 18mm is effectively a 28mm)..

What will be a good ultra-wide zoom lenses to consider which is compatiable with an FF camera as I dun want to have to change lenses once I eventually get my FF body..

Please advise..

you have said it yourself, the crop factor. At wide to ultra wide range, a FF lens at 16-35 will be 25.6-56 on 550D.
The only lens I can think of, is the sigma 12-24
my suggestion is why not get a second hand uwa lens for your 550D and you can sell it later with minimal losses.

With your current brand Canon, the only lens, like what others mentioned, is the Sigma 12-24. The other FF UWA lenses will not be a UWA if you go FF.

If you switch to Nikon, the mount is the same for crop cameras and FF cameras. You will be able to mount any DX (crop) UWA on your FF camera and shoot at the longer focal lengths to avoid the vignetting (for instance, you can use the Tokina 11-16 as a 16mm f2.8 FX prime). This is not ideal, but some people do it to save money.

I suggest you get a second hand UWA for your crop camera first. When you eventually upgrade to full frame, sell off all your 18-135 and your crop UWA lens and get a FF UWA lens.

Hi all,

thanks for the all the advice...

one question that came to mind after reading reviews on UWA was how do you guys protect UWAs since they have fairly protruding front elements?

Also (I know there's a thread on this somewhere) but how do I ensure that the 2nd hand lens I getting is in good condition? Perhaps specifically how to tell if a UWA is in good condition?

thanks

Hi all,

thanks for the all the advice...

one question that came to mind after reading reviews on UWA was how do you guys protect UWAs since they have fairly protruding front elements?

Also (I know there's a thread on this somewhere) but how do I ensure that the 2nd hand lens I getting is in good condition? Perhaps specifically how to tell if a UWA is in good condition?

thanks

Er... not all ultra wide angle lens had protruding front element. Anyway, even if they have, your lens hood would be enough protection against normal bumps and knocks.

As for getting good 2nd hand lens, the easiest way is to get one of your friends who know about lens checking to go with you when doing the purchase. Another way is to get a lens chart (can find in the net). When you meet up with the seller... first, check for fungus and haze. Then check to see if focus is correct for the entire range, using the lens chart (instruction to be found on the net too).

i was in the same dilemma when i was contemplating for a uwa.
going ff was a matter of time and i know it's going to be a long time for me (at least 3-4 years more?)

during this period, i make the best out of what i have and by the time i'm able to upgrade to ff, my current setup would be my backup already.
knowing this, i went for the efs10-22 for my cropped body. yea, sure the 10-22 cannot be used on ff cameras, but that doesn't mean i won't be able to afford a 16-35 in future.

so try not to think so much about pro-longing your investment. jus get what you really need and keep shooting.
btw, why do you really need a uwa lens for?

Hi all,

Please advise..

WHy would you need a FF body though?

Anyways, you get ultra wide for FF, 16-35 f/2.8 isn't going to be that much wider than your 18mm. :rolleyes:

If TS really wants a wide enough UWA lens usable on FF body, you have 2 choices:
1. Sigma 12-24mm
2. Tokina 11-16mm to be used at 16mm when you move to FX.

if you really need to think twice for the budget on the full frame body, than you have to think again,
bear in mind that the lenses useable on full frame body usually are more expensive,

why do just get a ultra wide for you crop frame body now, when you got full frame body, than get the a ultra wide for full frame body when you really need it.

i was in the same dilemma when i was contemplating for a uwa.
going ff was a matter of time and i know it's going to be a long time for me (at least 3-4 years more?)

during this period, i make the best out of what i have and by the time i'm able to upgrade to ff, my current setup would be my backup already.
knowing this, i went for the efs10-22 for my cropped body. yea, sure the 10-22 cannot be used on ff cameras, but that doesn't mean i won't be able to afford a 16-35 in future.

so try not to think so much about pro-longing your investment. jus get what you really need and keep shooting.
btw, why do you really need a uwa lens for?

Hi konstrain,

yup.. I'm feeling exactly the same way...

about why I think I need an UWA.. perhaps let me rephrase my doubts that started this thread in the 1st place:

I have start DSLR photography for about a year... have saved up some dough and feel that it's time I upgraded some gear.

Question is, what should I upgrade? get a new body? or another lens?

Body - In terms of IQ, my 550D sensor should be the same (correct me if I'm wrong) with those of the 60D and 7D (the other bodies with cropped sensors), if anything I am just looking forward to faster shooting and the vari-angle LCD screen - in this, if the 7D had a vari-angle LCD, I would buy it without much thought.

Lens - I thought a UWA will give the opportunity to practise shots at this focal length (since the widest I have is my 18mm on a cropped sensor). With my 18-135 kit lens, my reach at the far end is quite enough for me, since I not really into wildlife or sports shooting..

But of course some of you are wondering what good will a 16-35mm FF lens will be to me since it will be no different on my cropped sensor.. well the answer to that is that I do intend to upgrade to FF one day... but to do that will mean that all my EF-S lenses will prob go to waste...

Thanks for all the advice so far =)

You have to sell your EF-S lens eventually. If you are really intending to move to FF. Don't buy anymore EF-S lenses.

Hi konstrain,

yup.. I'm feeling exactly the same way...

about why I think I need an UWA.. perhaps let me rephrase my doubts that started this thread in the 1st place:

I have start DSLR photography for about a year... have saved up some dough and feel that it's time I upgraded some gear.

Question is, what should I upgrade? get a new body? or another lens?

Body - In terms of IQ, my 550D sensor should be the same (correct me if I'm wrong) with those of the 60D and 7D (the other bodies with cropped sensors), if anything I am just looking forward to faster shooting and the vari-angle LCD screen - in this, if the 7D had a vari-angle LCD, I would buy it without much thought.

Lens - I thought a UWA will give the opportunity to practise shots at this focal length (since the widest I have is my 18mm on a cropped sensor). With my 18-135 kit lens, my reach at the far end is quite enough for me, since I not really into wildlife or sports shooting..

But of course some of you are wondering what good will a 16-35mm FF lens will be to me since it will be no different on my cropped sensor.. well the answer to that is that I do intend to upgrade to FF one day... but to do that will mean that all my EF-S lenses will prob go to waste...

Thanks for all the advice so far =)
If that one day is far, you should just get a crop frame UWA. If that one day you are upgrading to FF is next week, then sure, go ahead and buy that FF UWA.

Thanks for all the advice.. In the end decided to upgrade body to 60D 1st and improve skill while targeting the 5DM3 in future.

For lens I went for the tokina 11-16...

Thanks for all the advice.. In the end decided to upgrade body to 60D 1st and improve skill while targeting the 5DM3 in future.

For lens I went for the tokina 11-16...

Good choice.. when you move to FF, it is still usable from 15-16mm on a FF camera.

Why is the 11-15mm unusable on FF? Sorry I probably can dig this from
Google but since we're on the topic.. Hehe

get the 14L

weeloong said:
Why is the 11-15mm unusable on FF? Sorry I probably can dig this from
Google but since we're on the topic.. Hehe

11-16mm is a cropped lens. However, unlike EF-s lenses from canon, you are still able to mount onto a FX camera. The down side is, from 11-14mm, you will get vignette in the corners of the frame as the lens does not have a large enough image circle to fill the entire sensor. At 15mm, you get slight vignette but image is quite usable. 16mm gives u no vignette, which is still very wide an angle, even for FF sensor.