Thinking of getting a Studio Backdrop paper.....

Status
Not open for further replies.

knpan

May 2, 2006
Singapore
hi there guys, I have been thinking of getting a studio backdrop paper for human sized studio shots, I have the equipment and am at least at a certain level of knowledge at shooting studio because i have learned from myself on shooting small objects with back drops.

I have backdrops that are big enough for objects, but not big enough for human size. I have been thinking for many months now about getting either a half a human size paper or getting a full backdrop where u can even step on it.

I have used white clothes as background, but it was not my liking, as i could see the details of it. That means i would need to buy a smooth type backdrop( i dont think it is possible to find very big size of these type ).

I need your opinions. Would be appreciated because i cant think of a solution for the past few months.

If on budget.. Several pieces of majong paper?

background paper is more for permanent installation, if you set up and tear down every time you use, it will not last very long.

use muslin instead, it also easier to store it when not in use.

YOu can try spotlight (though kinda ex) for cloths. Most are onyl about 1.5m wide though and average $8/m

The problem with muslin however is the creasing and the de-creasing process if you want something detail-less (since the TS stated in his first post that he didn't like the experience with cloth).

Unfortunately, there's no easy way in my opinion - so you'll hvae to go with the full sized paper. If you are shootinghalf body shots, you can possibly use the shorter half sized paper (4.5 feet wide), the 9 feet is usually for full lengths. If you are shooting only individuals, you can probably try sawing the 9 feet down to 7 or so and still be able to do full lengths. I haven't actually tried this befoer though - but from theory and experience, it shoudl work. Shorter widths would require post processing to add background colour back.

If you buy 9 feet background paper in pairs, they cost around S$170.00.

had the same thought as you, but finally bot the botero collapsible 5 feet x 7 feet. its spring loaded and folds into a 2 feet diameter flat disc. bot it for us$79.95 at b&h, new york. not sure where u can get it in singapore.

muslin background is meant to be use to show the crease, if you want it to be smooth, than use canvas instead.

using background paper, does not guarantee you have a smooth background also, background paper will become wavy after sometime, once your background paper wavy, you will have hard time to set the lights for background, it will show anyway.

interestingly, so far, discussions have not raise the point about using appropriate f-stop and/or distance to 'blur'/minimise the crease/wave of the b/g paper. just a thought.

that, depend how much space he has,
if the model is 10ft away from the background, and photographer is using 50mm on a DSLR, that add up about 30 ft.

Most pple when shooting their subject(s); seemed to enjoy positioning them so close to the background (like as though facing the firing squad or something). Doing this will incur the obvious outcome of getting in focus the background details. It's really not too difficult to take a few steps forward.

If on budget.. Several pieces of majong paper?

ihave pasted several pieces of very smooth white paper together but i am able to see the lines still.

had the same thought as you, but finally bot the botero collapsible 5 feet x 7 feet. its spring loaded and folds into a 2 feet diameter flat disc. bot it for us$79.95 at b&h, new york. not sure where u can get it in singapore.

Is this the able to Roll-up to store type?

Can i know what is a Muslin?

The problem with muslin however is the creasing and the de-creasing process if you want something detail-less (since the TS stated in his first post that he didn't like the experience with cloth).

Unfortunately, there's no easy way in my opinion - so you'll hvae to go with the full sized paper. If you are shootinghalf body shots, you can possibly use the shorter half sized paper (4.5 feet wide), the 9 feet is usually for full lengths. If you are shooting only individuals, you can probably try sawing the 9 feet down to 7 or so and still be able to do full lengths. I haven't actually tried this befoer though - but from theory and experience, it shoudl work. Shorter widths would require post processing to add background colour back.

If you buy 9 feet background paper in pairs, they cost around S$170.00.

bro.....where to get the 9 feet paper in pairs @ that price? thinking of buying some roll paper too

both CP and Ruby has them, I hope the prices have not changed since the recent inflation.

Have not checked out ruby n cp, but would like to ask online here, does the price include delivery? wondering how to transport the 9ft backdrop :think:...

Yeap includes delivery. Ruby has better delivery than Cathay (who refuses to pre-arrange a date of delivery)

thanx for the reply vince123123. :)

hmmz.. another question to all the bros here... if I only got money to afford say.. 2 or 3 backdrop paper, which is the most "versatile" colour to get in the order of preference?

Eg.
1. Black
2. White
3. Red ??

Black and white are the first two you can get. Gray is a good choice too. Reason is with these three and coloured gels, you can get almost any colour b/g you want.

Black and white are the first two you can get. Gray is a good choice too. Reason is with these three and coloured gels, you can get almost any colour b/g you want.

wowthanks thats interesting!

Status
Not open for further replies.