THinking of getting a new DC again.

Status
Not open for further replies.

AstralPrue

Jan 28, 2002
West
Visit site
HI people,

I am currently using a G1. Been thinking of getting a new DC cos G1 does not focus very well in low contrast situations. Was thinking of getting The Coolpix995 since it has 5 AF areas. Can anyone who has used/using it please tell me whether it takes pictures well in low contrast situations?

Was thinking of getting a G2, but If the CP995 suffice then i am gonna get that one. :D

Need advice, thanks a lot.

No, it's probably as slow as your G1. Heck, don't spend anymore money. Whatever you're buying over the G2 is an incremental upgrade. Wait for something really awesome before you buy (and starting to save up now also helps).

Originally posted by YSLee
No, it's probably as slow as your G1. Heck, don't spend anymore money. Whatever you're buying over the G2 is an incremental upgrade. Wait for something really awesome before you buy (and starting to save up now also helps).

Ok, a picture says a thousand words, two pics speak thousands i guess. I show you the reason why i wanna change cam. The cam always focuses on the background even though i got my subject in the middle. and i cannot do the AF lock/recompose routine cos no time leh :D therefore i need a cam that can overcome the problem I am currently facing. of cors other than this problem the cam is fine but this particular focusing problem is bugging me really badly.

blur1.jpg

blur2.jpg

I see! Well, don't count on the 995 to be that accurate, but I think it might be a bit better than the G1.

Though have you tried to make sure that you're aiming at a high contrast area?

you definately need a better cam with Zoe Tay posing for you. :)

Originally posted by YSLee
I see! Well, don't count on the 995 to be that accurate, but I think it might be a bit better than the G1.

Though have you tried to make sure that you're aiming at a high contrast area?

I just wanna aim and shoot zoe clearly leh. :D

would the G2 be able to solve my problems? anyone knows?

Originally posted by Jayan
Can use spot-metering right?

I've read that spot metering does not equal to spot focusing for the G1, so I dun think so. :(

Originally posted by AstralPrue

I've read that spot metering does not equal to spot focusing for the G1, so I dun think so. :(
[/QUOTE

Sorry.....it should be spot focusing. Paiseh! :D

This look strang. He clearly have flash on. Shouldn't the flash be bright enuff for the DC to know the object? WIth flash, think there should be contrast liao, rite?

I pity you.. Not many chance to get so close to an idol...

Originally posted by binbeto
This look strang. He clearly have flash on. Shouldn't the flash be bright enuff for the DC to know the object? WIth flash, think there should be contrast liao, rite?

Jayan : G1 dun have spot focusing :/ kns i know. haha

binbeto: dunno leh, it has occurred the two times i saw Zoe in a dark=ish environment. when she was at bugis the camera function perfectly, cos i guess it works really well in daylight.

not to worry, i have many chances to meet her. hehe.

that was really close to Zoe tay, unless he is using a C2100UZ.

Sadly, no. The camera focusses by means of contrast detection BEFORE the flash goes off and the picture is taken.

Regards
CK

Originally posted by AstralPrue
HI people,

I am currently using a G1. Been thinking of getting a new DC cos G1 does not focus very well in low contrast situations. Was thinking of getting The Coolpix995 since it has 5 AF areas. Can anyone who has used/using it please tell me whether it takes pictures well in low contrast situations?

Was thinking of getting a G2, but If the CP995 suffice then i am gonna get that one. :D

Need advice, thanks a lot.

Don't waste your money. The G2, 995 or even the 5000 probably almost as "crappy" AF. Most consumer digicams use the same contrast detection method for AF, so it doesn't matter how many focussing points you have. If the selected point does not have enough contrast, it will not focus.

In low light situations, either use manual focussing by means of distance estimation (I am not sure whether the G1 has a distance scale in MF mode for MF purposes), or try to fill frame with the subject so that the camera cannot lock onto something else in the background.

Regards
CK

Originally posted by ckiang

Don't waste your money. The G2, 995 or even the 5000 probably almost as "crappy" AF. Most consumer digicams use the same contrast detection method for AF, so it doesn't matter how many focussing points you have. If the selected point does not have enough contrast, it will not focus.

In low light situations, either use manual focussing by means of distance estimation (I am not sure whether the G1 has a distance scale in MF mode for MF purposes), or try to fill frame with the subject so that the camera cannot lock onto something else in the background.

Regards
CK

hmmm let's say the subject is in the middle of the pic, like that still cannot focus if i choose the middle focus area ah? then what's the selectable focus area for? ugh!:dunno:

distance estimation totally cannot make it one. i tried it before. it does not have a scale, and cannot quite tell whether the subject is in focus cos the lcd dun have magnifying capabilities. filling the frame with the subject seem the most plausible.

Any other way about it? got simi camera that can overcome my problem a not? thanks!

think someone posted about the "vertical contrast" used by the G2 (should be similar to G1). so if you focus on the face, the focus won't work well. the advice is to focus on the clothes if I'm not wrong.

hmm...why not try F707?

i can say that it have one of the best AF among DC....but compare with SLR....no fight man...

anyway, i took this shot today, auto mode, normal flash, with the Hologram AF disabled (forgot to turn it on after i disable it the day before)...else the pic can be even sharper.

sniper-suntec.JPG

aperture: F2.0
shuuer : 1/50s

i dun encounter such problem like yours with my 707

Originally posted by mpenza
think someone posted about the "vertical contrast" used by the G2 (should be similar to G1). so if you focus on the face, the focus won't work well. the advice is to focus on the clothes if I'm not wrong.

if i focus on her clothes, her head wld be chopped off :x

kamwai, saw your pic, nice. it's sharp enuff liao what, dun worry. if you switch the hologram thingy on , what will happen? it will land on those two guys and focus on them?

i think if i take a full body shot it wun happen also. i have never tried.

Status
Not open for further replies.