Thinking of getting a better DSLR!

babetrice

May 16, 2009
I thought of getting a higher end DSLR. I own a d3000 which is 2 years old and I used it almost everywhere I go and now it's quite lack already. I own the kit lens (18-55mm), 55-200mm & 35mm f1.8 lens. Which nikon dslr would be good? If I get a FX body then my 35mm f1.8 lens will be wasted but I love the pictures taken with 35mm. So how? Suggestions?

I thought of getting a higher end DSLR. I own a d3000 which is 2 years old and I used it almost everywhere I go and now it's quite lack already. I own the kit lens (18-55mm), 55-200mm & 35mm f1.8 lens. Which nikon dslr would be good? If I get a FX body then my 35mm f1.8 lens will be wasted but I love the pictures taken with 35mm. So how? Suggestions?

if u get FX, practically all ur lenses cant be used except 35mm f/1.8, if u dun mind the vignetting. i suggest tat u shld go FX provided that u haf the extra budget to get more lenses to couple with ur FX body. otherwise, stick to DX.

I think all ur lens cannot be use on Fx.
D90 Is ideal.

I have a couple of friends who just went ahead and get the D700. Try out all their DX lenses on their D700. Interestingly, 35mm f1.8 has no vignetting and the tokina 11-16 at 16mm has no vignetting and it sort of became his 16mm prime lens on the D700. They simply just get the camera and try out all their lenses and see which to replace. No need to think so hard...

ps. disclaimer. Probably you might want to bring your lens to test out the D700 before making a decision.

pps. no vignetting at wide open. SDW posted 2 fantastic links on this.

Last edited:
btw... they were ogling at the photos taken with the 35 f1.8... such nice bokeh when compare taken with their dx body camera.

You can upgrade by:
(1) Staying DX.
You can consider D7000 which is a very good DX body. In this way, you can still use your 35mm lens.

(2) Moving to FX.
Get a FX body and buy a 50mm lens.

Problem solved.

coolthought said:
I have a couple of friends who just went ahead and get the D700. Try out all their DX lenses on their D700. Interestingly, 35mm f1.8 has no vignetting and the tokina 11-16 at 16mm has no vignetting and it sort of became his 16mm prime lens on the D700. They simply just get the camera and try out all their lenses and see which to replace. No need to think so hard...

ps. disclaimer. Probably you might want to bring your lens to test out the D700 before making a decision.

pps. no vignetting at wide open. SDW posted 2 fantastic links on this.

Waaaaaaa. Sound like someone I know. ;P

But I heard that someone is also getting a 14mm prime. LOL.

Waaaaaaa. Sound like someone I know. ;P

But I heard that someone is also getting a 14mm prime. LOL.

who leh? :)
tell me pleaseeee....

Last edited:
thanks everyone! i was thinking of getting just a high end dslr as i wont be able to afford a FX + lens! too expensive for me! :(
and i will consider D7000 body! just wanna ask it's tokina 28-70mm f2.8 good? as in sharp with good blur background? i am considering of getting a second hand lens? or anyone know whats the original price for tokina 28-70mm f2.8?

thanks everyone! i was thinking of getting just a high end dslr as i wont be able to afford a FX + lens! too expensive for me! :(
and i will consider D7000 body! just wanna ask it's tokina 28-70mm f2.8 good? as in sharp with good blur background? i am considering of getting a second hand lens? or anyone know whats the original price for tokina 28-70mm f2.8?

aiyah... make us feel so excited that someone is getting a FX body for nothing. :p
for original price, best is to call the shop and ask. Price differs.
http://www.clubsnap.com/forums/threads/654713-Lens-Tokina?p=5875982#post5875982

I did thought of getting FX! But the cheapest also cause around 3K or more right? If I get FX body alone, how much does it cost?

I did thought of getting FX! But the cheapest also cause around 3K or more right? If I get FX body alone, how much does it cost?

what is your budget?

Ehhhh!! Less than 3K if possible?

I think most importantly ... What kinda of photographing are you into??

Fx - landscapes and portraits
Dx - sports, macro, wild life.

If you want a little of everything... I suggest you getting d300s.
Buy d7000, only if you need that 16mp and high res video.. but you'll need a battery grip to go along with d7000

I think most importantly ... What kinda of photographing are you into??

Fx - landscapes and portraits
Dx - sports, macro, wild life.

If you want a little of everything... I suggest you getting d300s.
Buy d7000, only if you need that 16mp and high res video.. but you'll need a battery grip to go along with d7000

You really sure sports and wild life should be shot using a DX body?? o_O
and a DX body not suitable for landscape and portraits?? o_O
From what you said.....I must be doing it wrong. I shoot mostly landscape using a D90. :p

Actually I intend to get a better dslr then I can do wedding photography + street photography ;)