Thinking of getting a backup digicam... Ricoh G4 Wide a good choice?

Status
Not open for further replies.

mpenza

Jan 18, 2002
Singapore
www.instagram.com
I wanted something that's cheap, small, light, uses AA batteries, fast (in terms of AF and write times), wide (28mm preferred) and takes good pics.

http://www.ricoh.co.jp/r_dc/dc/products/g4wide/specs.html

The list price is $599 according to the papers, and could starup within 1.8s and take a pic within 0.14s (time from shutter depressed till pic taken).

It doesn't have aperture/shutter priority mode (not really a big problem) but supports up to 8s shutter speed.

I have SD card (with my Palm) and lots of rechargeable AA batteries, so no problems with accessories :)

Second hand G2 would be my choice as a backup. Atleast it has a manual controls, you can use the same batt and external falsh that you are currently using for your 300D, plus the fact that you can use additional accessories with it (adapter, filters..). 2nd hand might only cost you around 550, sometimes comes with accessories.
Just my opinion. ;p

Thanks for the advice. G series is an excellent choice in terms of reuse of accessories and image quality... but I wanted something (much) smaller that I could keep in my pocket for times when bringing a camera bag around is a hassle ;p

megaweb said:
the one and only camera .... A70 :blah:
:thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

mpenza said:
...but I wanted something (much) smaller that I could keep in my pocket for times when bringing a camera bag around is a hassle
If you want something pocketable, how about something like the Canon Ixus 400? Small, light and extremely pocketable.

Ixus 400 is a too expensive ;p

A70/80 are a little bit too big.

I'm exploring other options too... like the Pentax Optio S.

You might want to check out the Sony DSC-U60.

That's right. A Sony 2 MP.

Fast startup and shutter lag, small (can pretend you're using a handphone while taking pictures), 2MP, 33mm f2.8, waterproof. Uses memory stick and AAA batteries. Quoted $450 at AP. I'm sorely tempted. If they don't announce a 3MP version by Christmas, I'll probably end up with one.

mpenza, actually, the A70 is a good choice given it's functionality and size, it might be a bit too big, but I'm sure the Ixus can do better if you have the budget :)

Alternavtively, the CoolPix 2100 is very small, I was a bit shocked at the actual size also, the shape like A70 is not perfect, but still I think it's good too.

Thanks for all the advices :)

Was quoted $425 for the Ricoh G4 Wide. Tried the camera. Focussing is really fast, image quality is ok too but high ISO sensitivites (400 and 800) are very noisy (I'm spoilt by the Fujifilm Super CCD and Canon CMOS sensors ;p).

The Optio S is a speedy camera too but ~$200 more expensive but the flash is a bit too harsh.

I'll look around some more.... might end up not getting any ;p

hi mpenza

could you pm me where you were quoted $425 for the Ricoh G4?
$425 with GST?

thanks

Still got the Ricoh G4 Wide in the end ;p was deciding between this and any of the compact water/splashproof cameras like Pentax 33WR, Sony U60, Olympus Digital mju 300 but the wide-angle (28mm), AF speed and shutter lag (it's really fast, can easily compete with the 300D under good light), use of AA batteries and SD card (I can share with my PDA) won me over. It's also compact enough to fit my pocket without bulging too much ;p

mpenza said:
Still got the Ricoh G4 Wide in the end ;p was deciding between this and any of the compact water/splashproof cameras like Pentax 33WR, Sony U60, Olympus Digital mju 300 but the wide-angle (28mm), AF speed and shutter lag (it's really fast, can easily compete with the 300D under good light), use of AA batteries and SD card (I can share with my PDA) won me over. It's also compact enough to fit my pocket without bulging too much ;p
We demand pictures! :D Pictures at lowest ISO 100, 200, and 400!

mpenza said:

Ha ha, seems that both of us are considering very similar list of cameras.......
Let us know how the testing goes........

mpenza said:
Cool dude....how much u got it for? ;p

Vulpix0r said:
We demand pictures! :D Pictures at lowest ISO 100, 200, and 400!

:vhappy: Pictures!

Vulpix0r said:
:vhappy: Pictures!

some full size pics here:
http://mpenza.clubsnap.org/gallery/g4test Pics are just snap shots using the 28mm wide-angle for the daytime shots.

There's quite a bit of hot pixels for long exposures. One more thing to note is that the camera uses a rudimentary way of transfering files (need to install a client in addition to the USB driver). I have a card reader, so no problems with it.

mpenza said:
some full size pics here:
http://mpenza.clubsnap.org/gallery/g4test Pics are just snap shots using the 28mm wide-angle for the daytime shots.

There's quite a bit of hot pixels for long exposures. One more thing to note is that the camera uses a rudimentary way of transfering files (need to install a client in addition to the USB driver). I have a card reader, so no problems with it.

I had that problem with my HP 618 till I found there is a setting affect usb mode or something like that. Perhaps you'll like to check that.......

Status
Not open for further replies.