Thinking of embarking on DSLR

Status
Not open for further replies.

sheltie_prince

Sep 16, 2004
Dear fellow Canon users..

I have been contemplating for a long while to migrate to DSLR. Well could have been sooner but because of $$$ issue (married man less money to spend on pleasure stuffs :sweatsm: ) so have been enduring for a long while.

To be honest, the prices of DSLR have dipped alot and I am now considering in getting one.

Well due to $$ constraint, I would love a 5D or the forth-coming 20D replacement but these are all just on the wish list.. Guess the practical solution is the 350D. Only -ve vibes is the small handle/grip

Need fellow brothers and sisters to gime your frank comment on the 350D? Hope you all can help me make my decision to:
1) Buy it NOW!!!
2) Wait until the 20D replacement is out, wait awhile for the $$ of 350D to drop then buy. :bsmilie: ;)

GONG XI FA CAI TO ALL!!!

if u can wait, always wait ;p cos always got something better later at a cheaper price ;p

may be get a 2nd hand DSLR at B&S to play with first. the price a much affordable, later then consider serious upgrade if you really like DSLR?

Get the 350D with vertical grip. Its gd enough for most intents and purposes.

I too though of getting the 20D for it more "PRO" appeal, but decided that the cash was better spent on a better lens. No regrets so far. Doubt the 20D would have made much of a difference to my photography had I got it instead of the 350D.

With the cash saved you can:
1) Buy an external flash
2) Get an extra/better lens
3) Buy accessories like polarisers etc.

The latter 3 would be far more helpful than the extra "oompf" the 20D has.

At the end of the day, if you really need a 20D, you won't be asking for advice on dSLRs in the 1st place. You would know what you need and just buy it.

mpenza said:
if u can wait, always wait ;p cos always got something better later at a cheaper price ;p

:thumbsup:
This to add:
Buy when you really have to. And after you bought your DSLR, don't look back cos newer and cheaper models will be out.
I say go for 350D and if you can, invest on good lenses

Wow.. thanks for the prompt responses and advices..

Yeah.. I do agree on that note on spending the $$$ on a better lens and accessories.

Am considering selling off my 28-135mm and 100-300mm and get a 24-70 f2.8 L... think might need to top up at least $800...

Keep those advices coming ppl. :)

Appreciate whatever 2cents, 5cents you feel you are giving but it makes A GRAND of a difference to me!!!

CHEERS!!!!

How much do you shoot a week or month? Are you ready to take care of the lens or lenses for a very long period of time to maintain quality? Are you willing to do maintenance and cleaning the camera so it can last longer?

The reason for all this questions is because, my friend who saw me shooting with dslr, bought a 300D with kit lens. After 2 shoots, its sitting in his studyroom collecting dust and fungus. So unless you really wanna pick up this hobby and learnt and pickup skills and crafts, just use a PnS first.

If you pick up the hobby, welcome! 350D or even 300D is a good buy! ;)

Just my 2 cents lah.

You have mentioned that 'the -ve is the small handle/grip.' Only you know if you can live with it. Nevertheless, it's a good first DSLR to own.

Invest in good lens. It'll outgrow the body.

Regards

Thanks for your advice. :)

Well brothers and sisters... sorry for more qns but does anyone of you know where can I get the cheapest 350D kit with warranty from? I understand that J316 sells ard 1,630 for kit and 160+ for vertical grip.. can anyone advice where is the lowest and best deals I should go to?

yyD70S said:
You have mentioned that 'the -ve is the small handle/grip.' Only you know if you can live with it. Nevertheless, it's a good first DSLR to own.

Invest in good lens. It'll outgrow the body.

Regards

I was also considering EOS 5D or 20D but 5D is far too expensive and 20D is quite an old cam so for now i'll just stick to my film SLR.

DSLR is cheap for beginner like me to learn photography ... if you shoot alot and made alot OOF with it is cheaper to go for DSLR. But if you are pro enough, I think film give you more satisfaction. Only 1Ds and above can match.

.. I think married man should consider only compact camera :sticktong or even mobile phone with built in camera is enough :bsmilie: :bsmilie:

SnakeJackal said:
DSLR is cheap for beginner like me to learn photography ... if you shoot alot and made alot OOF with it is cheaper to go for DSLR. But if you are pro enough, I think film give you more satisfaction. Only 1Ds and above can match.

.. I think married man should consider only compact camera :sticktong or even mobile phone with built in camera is enough :bsmilie: :bsmilie:

Haha quite a point on your last paragraph though ;p

I do shoot quite a lot and using film as well. Though film's quality and colour distribution is excellent, the cost of buying and processing the films can quite take a toll on me sometimes. I'm someone who goes more on quality of the final image (that's y i'm sticking to film) but quality of lens also contributes to the final image.

Oracle is selling brand new sets Here

sheltie_prince said:
Thanks for your advice. :)

Well brothers and sisters... sorry for more qns but does anyone of you know where can I get the cheapest 350D kit with warranty from? I understand that J316 sells ard 1,630 for kit and 160+ for vertical grip.. can anyone advice where is the lowest and best deals I should go to?

supposedly in HK you can get a 350D + 17-85 set for SGD1650. I'm not sure though.

get the 350D. $1550 including kit lens. Ask The Oracle for lobang.

Good enough for most purposes. Yes, grip is frustratingly tiny, with big lens / 550ex, not very balanced, but more worth to buy good glass than to let it depreciate on the body. Once one get used to the size, it'll be fine. (My index on the shutter, middle finger on the body, rest of fingers roughly BELOW the body already, weight of cam resting 90% on left hand anyway)

if got budget, dump the kit right away and go for better lenses, 28-135, 17-40, or 17-85 or even higher budget 24-70, 70-200 2.8 etc.

sheltie_prince said:
Dear fellow Canon users..

I have been contemplating for a long while to migrate to DSLR. Well could have been sooner but because of $$$ issue (married man less money to spend on pleasure stuffs :sweatsm: ) so have been enduring for a long while.

To be honest, the prices of DSLR have dipped alot and I am now considering in getting one.

Married man, less money for pleasure? I thought you invested the most in your PLEASURE already????

By being married??? ;p

Sorry, just kidding....

I think wait..... wait for 30D to come out and see if the rumoured budget 3000D will come out. Once they are out, price will fall soon... I think..... :sweat:

If you come from an EOS 3, I seriously urge you to have a go at both 350D and 20D before plunging in.

This is not to say 350D is a bad camera. I've had both, and in fact for some strange reason, I preferred the overall image quality of 350D over 20D.

However, in terms of handling, ergonomics, shutter response and AF capabilities, 20D would be closer to what you're used to with EOS 3.

Like what mpenza said, if you can wait, wait for the 20D to fall in the resale market. If you prefer first hand, of course 350D is more budget friendly.

Status
Not open for further replies.