Thinking of buying a very good macro lens

Status
Not open for further replies.

Spectrum

Jun 22, 2003
Here
Visit site
Hi to All,

Can any good-fellows out there help to recommend or advise any best macro lens(brands prefered are: Sigma or Tamron) ranging about 90mm to 110mm would be best for most macro situations. Thank you very much in advance.
Camera: Nikon series(F-mount)

rgds,
Spectrum

Spectrum said:
Hi to All,

Can any good-fellows out there help to recommend or advise any best macro lens(brands prefered are: Sigma or Tamron) ranging about 90mm to 110mm would be best for most macro situations. Thank you very much in advance.

rgds,
Spectrum
Me too. I've done some research. The best you can get is the lengandary Tamron 90mm macro (SPAF90mm F/2.8). Comparable to the 60mm Nikon, it is about the same price. The problem is that it is a plastic lens (vs metal for the Nikon). However, I heard that it is very well constructed.

I'm looking at the Tamron 180mm that came out about 6 months ago... :p

Spectrum said:
Hi to All,

rgds,
Spectrum

Which Nikon camera are you using?

Actually I prefers the Nikon 108mmF2.8 macro lens, manual focusing. This lens has served me very well and captured many sharp images.

Since you are already decided which brand to purchase, I would suggest Tamron would be a better choice.

Used the Sigma 105mm f2.8 EX Macro. Great results on my D100.

KNIGHT ONG said:
Which Nikon camera are you using?

Actually I prefers the Nikon 108mmF2.8 macro lens, manual focusing. This lens has served me very well and captured many sharp images.

Since you are already decided which brand to purchase, I would suggest Tamron would be a better choice.

Erm it's actually 105mm, not 108mm ;)

Spectrum said:
Hi to All,

rgds,
Spectrum

Spectrum,

You choice should be made more on which Nikon body you have and intend to own in the future.

If you're using an older F mount that's non AF (eg FE, F2, FM3A etc) then I'd highly recommend you go for a good used 105/2.8 AIS Micro Nikkor.

If however you are using an AF body or Nikon DSLR then the best choice is either the Nikkor 105/2.8 AF-D Micro Nikkor or the Tamron as the Tamron while not quite as sharp as the Sigma has better bokeh and a better build quality.

Ian

What type of macro do you intend to pursue?

How deep is your pocket?

These 2 will limited your choice.

Sigma 50mm is about $400

Nikon 60mm , Sigma 105mm and Tamron is about $600.

Nikon 105mm, Sigma 180mm and Tamron 180mm is about $1000.

Nikon 200mm is about $2000.

Grp1: 50,60mm is good for still lift and copy work.
Grp2: 90,105mm is better for insect than Grp 1
Grp3: Better than Grp 2 for extremely shy subject.

As the focal length increase, hand holding it is more difficult.

binbeto said:
Grp1: 50,60mm is good for still lift and copy work.
Grp2: 90,105mm is better for insect than Grp 1
Grp3: Better than Grp 2 for extremely shy subject.

As the focal length increase, hand holding it is more difficult.

:kok: guess u didn't read spectrum's post, he stated 90-110mm focal length hehe :devil:

Ian said:
:kok: guess u didn't read spectrum's post, he stated 90-110mm focal length hehe :devil:

Hee hee.. Notice it... but can't help it when I got the chance to flung my limited knowledge on this hugely popular forum. :sweatsm: :sweatsm: :sweatsm:

Just listing out more option. A newbie might not know what he wanted sometimes.

:)

BTW Binbeto & Ian, you guys are funny. :bsmilie: And thanks for the info plus rest of the good-fellas out there. I have both AF & MF body, so as I can see that either the Sigma 105mm & Tamron 90mm is within my choice & budget, which of this lens performs best? Thanks in advance for all your kind input.

Spectrum said:
BTW Binbeto & Ian, you guys are funny. :bsmilie: And thanks for the info plus rest of the good-fellas out there. I have both AF & MF body, so as I can see that either the Sigma 105mm & Tamron 90mm is within my choice & budget, which of this lens performs best? Thanks in advance for all your kind input.

Given the choice I'd take the Tamron every time.

Reasons: The tamron has slightly less pure sharpness but the bokeh is far better than the Sigma. Build quality wise I'd give it to the Tamron too as it's got a more durable finish than the Sigma and somewhat better construction.

In the end though you are best to go and try both lenses and pick the one you prefer to use.

Ian

Spectrum said:
I have both AF & MF body, so as I can see that either the Sigma 105mm & Tamron 90mm is within my choice & budget, which of this lens performs best?

I have chosen Sigma 105mm over Tamron 90mm

I havent tried using Tamron 90mm, so, I cant speak anything about it based on personal experience.

To me, sharpness is not an issue when it comes to these 2 lenses.. all macro lenses are made to be sharp. Sigma rated 4.1 vs. Tamron is rated 4.2 @ www.photodo.com. The difference is negligible I must say. Infact I always use 1.4X with my sigma and still produce a very sharp and pleasing result.

I've seen Tamron built, and I can say that I like the way Sigma 105mm was built.. it's EX finished after all.

Why did I choose Sigma over Tamron?
Because of the 15mm difference. That's all.

1) The longer the focal length, the lesser the background coverage. Hence, the selection of background for macro work will be more flexible as you are covering lesser portion of the background. Yes, It leads to a better bokeh.
2) The working distance to achieve certain magnification is farther compare to Tamron (negligible perhaps).

These are the 2 main reasons why the 50mm range is not advisable for macro work, esp that of insect macro. And that's the same reason why I always put 1.4X with my Sigma 105mm macro.

Hope you could find the right lens for you. :)

Clown said:
from my eyes i think the tamron looks best

*** Above f=8 all lenses show no real differences ***

Does focal length matters for macro work? Yes certainly.

Interesting test. Common the Sigma!

Status
Not open for further replies.