Thinking of an upgrade of lenses

aaeghiioouvyeva

Jan 28, 2011
Hi everybody:)
I'm currently using a Nikon D5000 body and kit lens Nikkor 18-55mm f3.5-5.6
I hope to upgrade to a better lens with better zoom and most preferably f2.8
Any suggestions?
I was previously considering Nikkor's 50-300mm (but I saw reviews that it's not worth the money) and Sigma's 70-200mm.

Thanks people ^^

aaeghiioouvyeva said:
Any suggestions?
I was previously considering Nikkor's 50-300mm (but I saw reviews that it's not worth the money) and Sigma's 70-200mm.

Thanks people ^^

Budget?

aaeghiioouvyeva said:
Any suggestions?

Thanks people ^^

Since you have a brand in mind, your choice will be limited to the OS version and Macro version. OS version is newer and heavier but comes with OS which is quite useful at this range in moderate lighting. The macro version allows focusing at a rather short distance resulting a little magnification to ur subject. It's abt 100g lighter and fits nicely in a big palm (can't describe this properly sorry).

If u can spare the cash, the best is still go with the Nikon 70-200mm vr2.

Actually there is no so call 'best lens'.....

Anyway u can start with budget tamron 17-50mm f/2.8 Di II lens first...

And if budget allows, yes nikkor af-s dx 17-55m f/2.8g and af-s 70-200mm f/2.8g vr2.

aaeghiioouvyeva said:
Less than S$1000?

if I get you correctly..
U r looking for a fast zoom lens..

If I am u with only 1k to spent..
I will buy the push-pull Nikon 80-200 (used copy)..

Cos I am some one who won't buy 3rd lens..

Since you have a brand in mind, your choice will be limited to the OS version and Macro version. OS version is newer and heavier but comes with OS which is quite useful at this range in moderate lighting. The macro version allows focusing at a rather short distance resulting a little magnification to ur subject. It's abt 100g lighter and fits nicely in a big palm (can't describe this properly sorry).

If u can spare the cash, the best is still go with the Nikon 70-200mm vr2.

What about deciding between both of nikon's and sigma's 70-200mm f2.8? Would it be a better investment to buy the sigma one now and sell it off in future when I hv more money to purchase the nikon's one?

Actually there is no so call 'best lens'.....

Anyway u can start with budget tamron 17-50mm f/2.8 Di II lens first...

And if budget allows, yes nikkor af-s dx 17-55m f/2.8g and af-s 70-200mm f/2.8g vr2.

What about deciding between both of nikon's and sigma's 70-200mm f2.8? Would it be a better investment to buy the sigma one now and sell it off in future when I hv more money to purchase the nikon's one?

if I get you correctly..
U r looking for a fast zoom lens..

If I am u with only 1k to spent..
I will buy the push-pull Nikon 80-200 (used copy)..

Cos I am some one who won't buy 3rd lens..

Okay will consider. Cuz even if buy 2nd hand, it'll still be above $1k...

Okay will consider. Cuz even if buy 2nd hand, it'll still be above $1k...

The 80-200mm push pull version will not Auto focus on your D5000. The sigma is over $1k as well. Try getting your budget a little higher if you want better lens.

It's ironic that Nikon target the D3xxx and the D5xxx series at consumers with limited budget but did not include AF motor to perform AF on AF-D lenses, which are cheaper than AF-S lenses.

So to TS, like Sgdevilzz said, save up more if you want better lenses. And remember that only AF-S/AF-I lenses can AF on your D5000. So the more likely choice should be the Sigma 70-200 f/2.8 rather than the Nikon 80-200 f/2.8D (push-pull or two ring versions) since the Sigma has HSM (which is the same as Nikon's AF-S), unless you do not mind manually focusing all the way.

If you are brand conscious, save up even more for the AF-S 70-200 f/2.8 VR1 (only available 2nd hand) and costs -+$2k, or the AF-S 80-200 f/2.8 (if you can find it that is)

Last edited:
With your limited budget I would recomend u to sell away year current body n lens then get a used D90 + tamron 17-50 f2.8 and nikon 80-200 push pull.

Dun listen to BS that third party lenses is no good. There are some lenses that even performance much better then the original maker.

70/80-200 f2.8 range dun get 3rd party. Prime lenses can look at third party.

agree
+1
LIKES.

With your limited budget I would recomend u to sell away year current body n lens then get a used D90 + tamron 17-50 f2.8 and nikon 80-200 push pull.

Dun listen to BS that third party lenses is no good. There are some lenses that even performance much better then the original maker.

wow this is another good alternative.

aaeghiioouvyeva said:

Harder to sell a sigma one. FYI...

Any suggestions?

Thanks people ^^

may I know which reviews say that its not worth the money and why it is not?

The nikkor 50-300 should fit nicely if you wanted reach at a budget. Comparatively with the 70-300, its af is slower, iq wise.... not sure but I remember someone who have use both, says that can't tell the difference except for the af speed.

Any suggestions?

Thanks people ^^

50-300mm? That is one rare lens nowadays.
You are talking about this lens right?
http://www.mir.com.my/rb/photography/companies/nikon/nikkoresources/zoomsMF/50300mmED.htm

The most important question when deciding what lens to get(and a total wonder why people don't ask it on this forum) is... what are you shooting or what do you like to shoot? Different lenses have different uses. I don't understand people who get lenses just because its 'better'. So many 70-200 VR2s get thrown into BnS because people realise postpurchase that they don't need one or its too heavy. Get lens that suits your current needs.

You mentioned a 'better zoom', a preference for f/2.8 and a budget of under $1000 so I'm going to work loosely off those constraints.

If the aim is to replace your kit lens, a 2nd hand 17-55mm f/2.8 would work.
If the aim is to extend your reach, 70-300mm is available(no f/2.8 however). Sigma's 70-200mm is viable, but only if you really want to keep it. IIRC the resale on the 70-200mm sigma is pretty much nonexistant. Also, its probably over 1k and is pretty damn heavy.
If you're shooting mainly people and/or scenary, consider the AF-S 50mm and AF-S 35mm f/1.8. There's no 'zoom'(move your feet instead), but the performance of primes is superior to that of your kit lens. You can get both for under 1k too.

There is no modern 50-300mm(only an AI-s version). You might be thinking of the 55-300mm. The 70-300mm is also better than the 55-300mm

Last edited:

I have a 6-month old Sigma 70-200 F2.8 OS HSM that works great with my D5000 & D7000, if I sell for $1k, you want or not? :bsmilie:

I have a 6-month old Sigma 70-200 F2.8 OS HSM that works great with my D5000 & D7000, if I sell for $1k, you want or not? :bsmilie:

No. I don't want. Sell for $500, yes, I want, but I will resell it.