Thinking of an upgrade of lenses

No. I don't want. Sell for $500, yes, I want, but I will resell it.

Thank you bro for helping reply.. Same sentiment as you I will buy and resell buy this lenses very hard to resell except for primes.

nickzkcin said:
The most important question when deciding what lens to get(and a total wonder why people don't ask it on this forum) is... what are you shooting or what do you like to shoot? Different lenses have different uses. I don't understand people who get lenses just because its 'better'. So many 70-200 VR2s get thrown into BnS because people realise postpurchase that they don't need one or its too heavy. Get lens that suits your current needs.

You mentioned a 'better zoom', a preference for f/2.8 and a budget of under $1000 so I'm going to work loosely off those constraints.

If the aim is to replace your kit lens, a 2nd hand 17-55mm f/2.8 would work.
If the aim is to extend your reach, 70-300mm is available(no f/2.8 however). Sigma's 70-200mm is viable, but only if you really want to keep it. IIRC the resale on the 70-200mm sigma is pretty much nonexistant. Also, its probably over 1k and is pretty damn heavy.
If you're shooting mainly people and/or scenary, consider the AF-S 50mm and AF-S 35mm f/1.8. There's no 'zoom'(move your feet instead), but the performance of primes is superior to that of your kit lens. You can get both for under 1k too.

There is no modern 50-300mm(only an AI-s version). You might be thinking of the 55-300mm. The 70-300mm is also better than the 55-300mm

Totally agree. I shoot with my d3100 lens kit for 6 months n recently bought a 50mm 1.8d, though i have to focus manually, it totally amazes me the difference i could do compared to my kit lens.

nickzkcin said:
The most important question when deciding what lens to get(and a total wonder why people don't ask it on this forum) is... what are you shooting or what do you like to shoot? Different lenses have different uses. I don't understand people who get lenses just because its 'better'.

That y I commented, there is no so call 'best lens'.

It depends what u wanna to shoot and LIKE to shoot.

A budget walk around relatively 'fast' zoom len is tamron 17-50mm f/2.8 .

If u shoot portraits oftenly, u might consider the tamron zoom lens or affordable prime lenses , e.g. Afs 35mm f/1.8g dx, afs 50mm f/1.8g or 1.4g.

imho, just get the lens of ur preferences while working ard ur budget, dun not think of - re-sale - value.

I find it a very common thinking of 'resale-value'. Everything u buy, must have high resale value. A total absurb thinking, of 'reselling even before u own it'. A Very good example, buy house, treat as 'investment', high re-sale value after 5yrs.

So imho, put this idea aside, just get the lens u have in mind, and enjoying shooting with it. Get the the best out of it.

I used to have Tamron 28-75mm with BIM for my d700. I supposed it's equivalent to afs? It's a great lens and produce nice color. And 80-200 afs which one of the bro mentioned, i like the lens as it is sharp and do not produce much vignette on fx body unfortunately sold it off to fund 70-200vrii .No regret getting the replacement though. It's not easy to get the lens nowaday. Just be mindful getting 2nd hand afs lens as the swm give problem sometime.

MrMooMoo said:
I used to have Tamron 28-75mm with BIM for my d700. I supposed it's equivalent to afs? It's a great lens and produce nice color. And 80-200 afs which one of the bro mentioned, i like the lens as it is sharp and do not produce much vignette on fx body unfortunately sold it off to fund 70-200vrii .No regret getting the replacement though. It's not easy to get the lens nowaday. Just be mindful getting 2nd hand afs lens as the swm give problem sometime.

Agree tamron 28-75 is a great lens for it's price. If you can put up with the quirks. Focusing is a little slow and struggles in lower light. Sometimes the focus is a little off in lower light if you are using AF-S. I often have to switch to AF-C when shooting in lower light. For hobbyists, studio shooters it is good enough. For shooting wide open for fast paced events, especially paid jobs, you might want to consider other options. I got the 24-70 in the end.

Last edited: