Thinking of 17-40mm F4L...

Status
Not open for further replies.

fotoME

Dec 1, 2004
Umm.. seems like alot of people uses the 17-40mm F4L lens during vactions. More like a holiday take along lens. Other then that, seems like its been kept at home.

Not sure, looks like more ppl using telephoto here in Singapore. Ture? :dunno:

different focal length different uses.

17mm on a digital body is quite suitable for landscapes, especially during travel.

AReality said:
different focal length different uses.

17mm on a digital body is quite suitable for landscapes, especially during travel.
Not really lar, u need a 12-24mm for that. Or 10-22mm lagi better. :devil:

17-40mm f4L has many uses, esp. on a 1.6x crop body, not only for landscape and travel, can be used to shoot weddings, events etc. Not exactly super wide tho on 1.6x crop body but still great as an all round general purpose lens.

Of course, buy only if you really need it and intend to use regularly for whatever you shoot. Else it will end up sitting in the dry cabinet.

Go for this lens...very affordable (interms of having the 'L' lens).
Very sharp and handy (light weight)

No regrets after getting this lens. Have been using it more then the 70-200 F4.

BUY BUY BUY! ;p

V.good lens considering the 1.6x crop...

and if Canon EVER manage to push down manufacturing cost of CMOS resulting more full frame DSLR at affordable price, it's a superb wide angle as well :D

Buy Buy BUy... :devil:

Garion said:
Not really lar, u need a 12-24mm for that. Or 10-22mm lagi better. :devil:

17-40mm f4L has many uses, esp. on a 1.6x crop body, not only for landscape and travel, can be used to shoot weddings, events etc. Not exactly super wide tho on 1.6x crop body but still great as an all round general purpose lens.

Of course, buy only if you really need it and intend to use regularly for whatever you shoot. Else it will end up sitting in the dry cabinet.
Buy buy buy?

Constant f4 aperture... I suppose it's outstanding for those night scenery shots as well?

Damn! I WANT ONE!!!

The 17-40 f/4 L has been awarded Lens Of The Year 2004. So why hesitate? Buy! Buy! Buy!

I'm using this lens more and more, for landscape, weddings and even certain portraits. Sharp at all apertures.

jsbn said:
Buy buy buy?

Constant f4 aperture... I suppose it's outstanding for those night scenery shots as well?

Damn! I WANT ONE!!!
It is an outstanding lens for almost anything you can throw at it, nite scenes, fireworks, landscape, weddings, as Virgo said even portraits (more to the 40mm end tho). And costing abt half of what a 16-35mm f2.8L costs, with consistently great image quality, its almost a no brainer. If you have the moolah, and need the range, just get it. :devil:

Virgo said:
The 17-40 f/4 L has been awarded Lens Of The Year 2004. So why hesitate? Buy! Buy! Buy!

I'm using this lens more and more, for landscape, weddings and even certain portraits. Sharp at all apertures.
Wasn't it lens of the year for 2003 too? :think:

fotoME said:
Umm.. seems like alot of people uses the 17-40mm F4L lens during vactions. More like a holiday take along lens. Other then that, seems like its been kept at home.

Not sure, looks like more ppl using telephoto here in Singapore. Ture? :dunno:

Why not u start by questioning yourself whether you NEED the range or not. Its no point of having a super dooper lens if you never found yourself needing the range. Having said this, if you need the range, its a no brainer choice ... L glass with reasonable price ... never look back after I bought the lens and found that it become the most used lens everytime I go travelling ...

RossChang said:
and if Canon EVER manage to push down manufacturing cost of CMOS resulting more full frame DSLR at affordable price, it's a superb wide angle as well :D
I checked out the official 1Ds MkII samples taken with the 17-40, it is pretty soft at the corners even stopped down. "16MP becomes 6MP" if you want to do quality prints and include the corners.

2100 said:
I checked out the official 1Ds MkII samples taken with the 17-40, it is pretty soft at the corners even stopped down. "16MP becomes 6MP" if you want to do quality prints and include the corners.
At that kind of resolution (the highest so far for 35mm format DSLR) and with a full frame chip, it is brutally revealing of any deficiencies of just about any lens save for the very sharpest optics, and wide angle lenses are no exception. The 16-35mm f2.8 L would probably show up with soft corners as well.

Its a moot point lar, most ppl using this lens are probably using it on 1.6x crop DSLRs, as such the corners of the edges does not matter. Film is another matter altogether, so far I have shot only slides of nite scenes, some at 17mm, and viewed thru a loupe I didn't see any apparent softness.

Garion said:
It is an outstanding lens for almost anything you can throw at it, nite scenes, fireworks, landscape, weddings, as Virgo said even portraits (more to the 40mm end tho). And costing abt half of what a 16-35mm f2.8L costs, with consistently great image quality, its almost a no brainer. If you have the moolah, and need the range, just get it. :devil:
Need da range (dun you juz LOVE those great scenery photos?), no moola.... :( *sob sob*

Save save save... If there's something to replace my EF-S 18-55mm, this is definitely da one.

RossChang said:
V.good lens considering the 1.6x crop...

Buy Buy BUy... :devil:
It'll sure be a great lens to be used on a 1v camera (considering the fact dat most of us prolly can't afford a $15K 1DsMkII or a $8K 1DMkII)...

2100 said:

With 1DsMkII... I doubt lieca or any other lens would give a "perfect" result. :think: :dunno:

if you shoot landscape take the lens. f4 is too slow.

if you don't you'll be better off with 2 primes costing as much as the f4 but having f2 apertures - sigma 20/1.8 and canon 35/2. that said, i use the 20/1.8 more than i use the 35... with the 17-40 i used the 17mm more than the 40mm anyway.. i used it more like a prime than a zoom.

oh

yeah i sold it about half a year ago.

:)

2100 said:

Tell me one wide angle zoom tat can produce sharp corner to corner on a full frame sensor... ;)

those L lenses (telephoto) are all having metal barrel but what about those wider angle lenses such as the 17-40 and the 24-70L

nicholas1986 said:
those L lenses (telephoto) are all having metal barrel but what about those wider angle lenses such as the 17-40 and the 24-70L
All also metal barrel too... Those L's are meant to last... ;P

Status
Not open for further replies.