Think i'm crazy

Karboomboom

Nov 5, 2011
Erm ... You think if I'm crazy to ask if anyone keen to lend me his/her canon EF70-300 f4-5.6L IS USM lens? I just need it for 1 day event to take some shots of my kiddo participating inTKD competition. Hahaa, ya right, know I'm crazy.

rent the lens for major rental stores.

i believe nobody will lend a $2k lens to a total stranger.

tecnica said:

Thanks. Any recommendation on rental shop?

Ya lor, I know. Btw, any recommendations on rental shops?

Thnx guys. Will rent one to try it out. Been thinking of buying a used one, but rare to come by and also half suspect it will spend my time in my dry cabinet than enjoying sunshine. But seriously, thanks.

What competition is your kid participating in?

Erm ... You think if I'm crazy to ask if anyone keen to lend me his/her canon EF70-300 f4-5.6L IS USM lens? I just need it for 1 day event to take some shots of my kiddo participating inTKD competition. Hahaa, ya right, know I'm crazy.

Thnx guys. Will rent one to try it out. Been thinking of buying a used one, but rare to come by and also half suspect it will spend my time in my dry cabinet than enjoying sunshine. But seriously, thanks.

If you know yourself that the usage frequency of the lens is low, renting it is the most economical and logical way to go.

Cheers!

Shuin said:
What competition is your kid participating in?

TKD should be Taekwondo I guess... But if so, I suspect that the lens would be too slow for you to use in a indoor environment.

i think renting costs about 50-60? In fact if u buy a used one and sell it away after one yr.. u probably lose no more than 200.. in that regards buying a used one is still more economical.

Hi, thanks. Yup TKD is taekwondo. Thnx for the good advice all.

tecnica said:

U're absolutely right, I'll never do that too.

cool, i think you'll need a faster lens? especially if the sports is indoor?

Thanks. Any recommendations? I only have the kit lense of EFS 18- 135. What would be a good purchase? Am thinking of something which I can also bring for travel and weekend use.

Karboomboom said:
Thanks. Any recommendations? I only have the kit lense of EFS 18- 135. What would be a good purchase? Am thinking of something which I can also bring for travel and weekend use.

Nothing wrong with your lens. It has good range and decent image quality for traveling. Remember the more lenses you have, the heavier your setup.

If you really want to step up, you can consider 17-55 f/2.8 or 15-85 f/3.5-5.6. There are already a couple of other threads discussing them.

You not crazy, the one who lend you is

You not crazy, the one who lend you is

lol....i think it depends on the individual...i knew someone lent his 70-200 f2.8 lens to his brother's colleague! May be he is really crazy!

no such thing as "crazy" to lend someone your gears; most of us do so if we trust them that they will take care of your stuff as much as they were theirs.

I once lend my 1D3, 17-40L and 24-70L to a friend who happens to be on vacation to Paris (winter time) just because he is not comfortable using his 400D in such conditions. Am I worried? Not at all as I trust my gears are in good hands.

They all came back in one piece though, my friend was even kind enough to send my gears to CSC for cleaning/ maintenance checkup before he returns my gears to me.

yrh0413 said:
no such thing as "crazy" to lend someone your gears; most of us do so if we trust them that they will take care of your stuff as much as they were theirs.

I once lend my 1D3, 17-40L and 24-70L to a friend who happens to be on vacation to Paris (winter time) just because he is not comfortable using his 400D in such conditions. Am I worried? Not at all as I trust my gears are in good hands.

They all came back in one piece though, my friend was even kind enough to send my gears to CSC for cleaning/ maintenance checkup before he returns my gears to me.

U already said 'friend', but TS is asking 'anyone'.