Think I got a good buy today at Camera Workshop

Status
Not open for further replies.

lesneo

Jan 1, 2006
Been looking around for an EF 50mm F1.8 mk II recently. Average price going around CS is about $120... Called Cathay and found out that a brand new one comes $145... I did not feel the urge to save $20 on a second hand over a brand new one and had wanted to buy it from Cathay.

That was before I walked past Camera Workshop and low and behold, saw a 50mkII in the showcase... Price tag was $85... Hmmm... tempting... Inspected the lens; clear and in good physical condition. No warranty nor box though (not an issue with me as long as there is the front and rear caps). Managed to knock $5 off it bargaining and am now a proud owner of the 50mkII.

lesneo said:
Been looking around for an EF 50mm F1.8 mk II recently. Average price going around CS is about $120... Called Cathay and found out that a brand new one comes $145... I did not feel the urge to save $20 on a second hand over a brand new one and had wanted to buy it from Cathay.

That was before I walked past Camera Workshop and low and behold, saw a 50mkII in the showcase... Price tag was $85... Hmmm... tempting... Inspected the lens; clear and in good physical condition. No warranty nor box though (not an issue with me as long as there is the front and rear caps). Managed to knock $5 off it bargaining and am now a proud owner of the 50mkII.

Good lense, make full use of it...

Is yours made in Japan or Msia? ;p

The 50mm Mk2 is a very old model. Maybe the one you bought is a 10 year old lens?

My own copy is about 15 years old (from my first film slr), still in very good physical and optical condition. It would have no problem passing off as a 1 year old one. ;p

I wouldn't be sure about the age of this lens, but if the condition is very good, as you say, then age hardly matters. It's the condition that's more important.

It's an excellent buy...really good price, considering its from a shop. I hardly ever see them sell for any cheaper than around $100 at the forums here. Even if it does, a bidding war starts and it will never be sold any cheaper than a hundred bucks.

Wonder what else they have on sale there. :think: Previously, I was searching for a new 550ex flash, but they don't have any of these around.

fWord said:
I wouldn't be sure about the age of this lens, but if the condition is very good, as you say, then age hardly matters. It's the condition that's more important.

It's an excellent buy...really good price, considering its from a shop. I hardly ever see them sell for any cheaper than around $100 at the forums here. Even if it does, a bidding war starts and it will never be sold any cheaper than a hundred bucks.

Wonder what else they have on sale there. :think: Previously, I was searching for a new 550ex flash, but they don't have any of these around.

Well, they did, or at least i got the 3rd last one. and it comes with local warrenty. Just check with them if they still have it if not its abt 150-200 more for the 580EX.

:)

enghong17 said:
Well, they did, or at least i got the 3rd last one. and it comes with local warrenty. Just check with them if they still have it if not its abt 150-200 more for the 580EX.

:)

I see... :think: but how much did you have to pay for your 550ex? How long is the local warranty?

After thinking about a flash for a while I've even begun to think that I probably can't be bothered to buy one anymore. It's good to have, otherwise I'd be using silly jelly cups over my built-in flash to get a pseudo-diffused effect.

Status
Not open for further replies.