Thimithi (Fire-walking)

Status
Not open for further replies.

r52lanc

Feb 12, 2004
Bukit Timah
www.pbase.com
Anyone that can confirm the date for this year. Most websites say Nov. 1st late afternoon...others Oct. 24th. :confused:

Anyone going?

*Timothy*

wha will be very crowded and exciting.....but be careful, scarly people grab u and yr equipment and make u walk the fire with them =)

I walk fire before, it is not really scary, it is actually quite fun. You should try if you have the chance.

it is on monday morning 3.00am!!! unless u dont have to work on monday, otherwise how to go shoot :D

juste_millieu said:
it is on monday morning 3.00am!!! unless u dont have to work on monday, otherwise how to go shoot :D
My guess is that it is like Thaipusam. The festival starts in the wee hours and goes all day. From what I understand the firewalking will start 4-5pm on Monday, Nov. 1st. Would be nice if someone could confirm.

Events start in the afternoon and the coals are laid in early evening. The spectacle goes on until well after midnight, but as it gets very crowded you will need to get there early for a good viewing spot. Please note that temple etiquette requires visitors to be dressed appropriately (no knees or shoulders should be bared) and shoes should be removed at the door.Look here

r52lanc said:
My guess is that it is like Thaipusam. The festival starts in the wee hours and goes all day. From what I understand the firewalking will start 4-5pm on Monday, Nov. 1st. Would be nice if someone could confirm.

Events start in the afternoon and the coals are laid in early evening. The spectacle goes on until well after midnight, but as it gets very crowded you will need to get there early for a good viewing spot. Please note that temple etiquette requires visitors to be dressed appropriately (no knees or shoulders should be bared) and shoes should be removed at the door.Look here

from their web site is 3am 1st NOV :dunno:

Gosh ... 3am cant go liao :cry:

I got something in mind to shoot but too bad .... :(

Hi,

Go shoot by all means...they love it..but u cant access the balcony..it is booked for the media.

Go there early or else u might need hrs to get to the location that u want.
Damm packed!

Indian pple walk through the charcoal...in the wee hours...and go to work next morning...believe it...they just need to dust off the ashes on their feet.

i called the heb and spoke to the CEO, Mr Nalla (nice guy). below is what i gathered.

photography is allowed. bring a bag along, so that you can put yr footwear in before entering the temple. (so that got footwear for going home ;) )

the event start about 2pm on Sunday, activities continues into the wee hours of the morning. i think 5 plus start the charcoal burning already. He suggested going there at about 8 plus to find a good spot, will be very crowded there.

Yeowww said:
i called the heb and spoke to the CEO, Mr Nalla (nice guy). below is what i gathered.

photography is allowed. bring a bag along, so that you can put yr footwear in before entering the temple. (so that got footwear for going home ;) )

the event start about 2pm on Sunday, activities continues into the wee hours of the morning. i think 5 plus start the charcoal burning already. He suggested going there at about 8 plus to find a good spot, will be very crowded there.
Now, I am confused. You look here it will tell you firewalking in on Monday late afternoon.

Anyone know which is correct?

r52lanc said:
Now, I am confused. You look here it will tell you firewalking in on Monday late afternoon.

Anyone know which is correct?

Im not sure when the site was last updated. I have called him just on Thursday, so i believe his info is accurate.

Hi, care to share which temple you all visiting? or rather which temple has the most activities?

Thanks

i am not to sure about the event actually. saw in the papers that there will be road closure (or some lanes) from the temple at Serangoon all the way to Sri Mariamman in Chinatown...

i may drop by at Sri Mariamman tonight

hmm did some research most probably visiting Sri Mariamman, oldest temple in singapore, should be the place where the most activities is, will be there with 2 of my friends, will be there late at night, staying over until next morning, cant believe we are doing this during the exam week :bsmilie: see u guys there..

The devotees will only start to walk the fire at around 3~4am Monday morning, its should be jam pack by now... seriously, when the walking start, no one is allowed into the temple, so unless you are there early and wait patiently in the temple, no point going there. I was like you when I went there during my study week, that was abt 4 years back, nothing much to shoot, all so dark....Thimithi will be on every year, so you will definately have the chance to shoot... Meanwhile, do spend your study week wisely...

SMC said:
The devotees will only start to walk the fire at around 3~4am Monday morning, its should be jam pack by now... seriously, when the walking start, no one is allowed into the temple, so unless you are there early and wait patiently in the temple, no point going there. I was like you when I went there during my study week, that was abt 4 years back, nothing much to shoot, all so dark....Thimithi will be on every year, so you will definately have the chance to shoot... Meanwhile, do spend your study week wisely...

You so freeee nowsday can go waaat ?

Status
Not open for further replies.