They give photographers a bad name

yet whenever people get stopped by security they will whip out the "this is a public place, i have my rights to shoot" mentality.

this is merely a long-drawn end-consequence of that mentality, extended far beyond the limits of reason. sometimes the security people are just trying to carry out their duties. i have never been nasty to security personnel unless they were unnecessarily unreasonable, e.g. walking OUT of a building to stop me from shooting what was not a sensitive location.

the selfishness of photographers can sometimes know no limits. certain locations which were once publicly accessible have been closed up because of irresponsible actions and the desire to gain popularity by sharing "cool locations". in getting the shot, sometimes people stoop to unorthodox means and change the behaviour of their subject, sometimes this could lead to imbalances in the ecological system. best of all, all these people are sometimes the very same people who go around shouting "conservation!".

it has always been my opinion that in clubsnap, a PHOTOGRAPHIC community, we must always look at our own actions. be it good behaviour in model photography, nature photography, or event photography, like it or not, one person's actions are taken to represent the whole community. some actions have extremely long-lasting effects. sadly, not many people will bother to view things from this angle.

what can i say.....#3 summed it up quite well.

I agree quite a lot with "in getting the shot, sometimes people stoop to unorthodox means....." because i seen them in action.

The most common reasons given by them are not my business to tell them so and so or rules are only for those who live by them and up to the extent that i am restricting their artistic creativity.

Last edited:
It's sad that such a thing happen. Lots of grey area, there's always people who abuse given space to breathe in such tricky situations, which end up clamping up the freedom for everybody when things go wrong. Lack empathy and common sense. Sigh... :nono:

i 2nd what n86m says.

Last edited:
Well, they know they are trespassing.

And we all know, getting permission is not going to happen. If the photographer still wants the shot, do it, and when security comes, stay low key, pack up and move on.

Pack light, dont spread all your gears out like a picnic, shoot fast, pray for the best. These two yo yo are just what not to do in such situations. Oh well, the eternal battle between photographers and "management".

THe Raffles City incident, the perpetrators are definitely in the wrong, but I have seen and encountered so many zealous rent-a-cop who I believe stepped way over their authority, and that I blame management.

That does not release photographers to be civil and discrete.

Just pathetic behaviour and show-offs.People nowadays are just too arrogant.

geez... did he really have a tranny photoshoot in the middle of the restaurant? (not dat i have something against transvestites...) :what:

yet whenever people get stopped by security they will whip out the "this is a public place, i have my rights to shoot" mentality.

this is merely a long-drawn end-consequence of that mentality, extended far beyond the limits of reason. sometimes the security people are just trying to carry out their duties. i have never been nasty to security personnel unless they were unnecessarily unreasonable, e.g. walking OUT of a building to stop me from shooting what was not a sensitive location.

the selfishness of photographers can sometimes know no limits. certain locations which were once publicly accessible have been closed up because of irresponsible actions and the desire to gain popularity by sharing "cool locations". in getting the shot, sometimes people stoop to unorthodox means and change the behaviour of their subject, sometimes this could lead to imbalances in the ecological system. best of all, all these people are sometimes the very same people who go around shouting "conservation!".

it has always been my opinion that in clubsnap, a PHOTOGRAPHIC community, we must always look at our own actions. be it good behaviour in model photography, nature photography, or event photography, like it or not, one person's actions are taken to represent the whole community. some actions have extremely long-lasting effects. sadly, not many people will bother to view things from this angle.

is that partly the reason why labrador park is shut now?:cry:

photoacopy.jpg

From this image, I think that person in black t-shirt don't seems to really understand how to bounce light....I can see that his flash light is tilted in a direction as if he wants to bounce light from other direction rather than pointing it straight at the model.

Moreover, from the structure of the mall, I do not see any wall to bounce light onto the model. And I think maybe he also has a diffuser on and he still wants to bounce light :dunno:

From this image, I think that person in black t-shirt don't seems to really understand how to bounce light....I can see that his flash light is tilted in a direction as if he wants to bounce light from other direction rather than pointing it straight at the model.

Moreover, from the structure of the mall, I do not see any wall to bounce light onto the model. And I think maybe he also has a diffuser on and he still wants to bounce light :dunno:

It's a lighting technique which we often see called infinity bounced light.

The flash light bounces into infinity and it stays there. :)

It's a lighting technique which we often see called infinity bounced light.

The flash light bounces into infinity and it stays there. :)

Hhaha..Even Kallang Stadium Floodlight can't do infinity bounce..Their flash must be very powerful sia...

I think the security guard chased them out because from one look the guard knows that they are newbie liao....no point continue to shoot as the pictures may turn out crap; wasting the time of the model and resources (battery power, flash life span & shutter count). Better pack up and go home.

The security guard could be a pro :dunno:

Eh....you talking about me ah?? :bsmilie:

Seriously speaking, having a flash on does not mean he switched on the flash mah. Like I could have 3 SB-900 on, and none of them switched on. :bsmilie:

Just joking...btw the guy is not me, don't misuderstand.

These jokers really cute, this kind of thing also have to face to pull it off! :bigeyes::sweat:

Anyway, any pro would fully know that it is a NO-NO to have any sort of a camera in any shopping center. There is no shopping center that I know of, that allows you to whip out any sort of camera to shoot, not even PnS/iPhone/camera phone. But of coz if you pull it off then its good for you, they are closing one eye. Even at People's Park Center, I was just testing my wife's PnS HD movie mode and was standing just outside ASA 3rd storey and shooting the large void (ie not shooting any shops), within 2 minutes security guard came to ensure I delete the stuff (which I dutifully complied). We fully respect the Intellectual Property of the shopfronts (interior design, etc)....not that there is even anything remotely useful to us anyway.... Some VGs do take B stock to for commercial reasons.

i hope these monkeys also comes CS...is a disgrace. the things they say to the guards whether they are pros or amateurs just shows how shallow or immature they are...

common sense not so common nowadays. and pay tax...how much tax u pay? 10k 20k or 85k...so yaya for what?

Raffles City is not even built by taxpayers money.
It is built by the funds of the shareholders of Capitaland.