There Were Two

Status
Not open for further replies.

deejaykyle

Nov 2, 2006
Singapore
Taken at Changi Beach with my Canon Powershot A570.

MotherandSonAtTheBeachASmall.jpg

I didn't like the original photograph, colours were washed out as it was taken in the harsh mid-day sun. I decided to play with the image a bit in Photoshop. Coinciding with my dark nature(heheheh), I arrived at something ominous and a tad sinister-looking.

The main thing I did in Photoshop was desaturating the image into BnW and the vignetting. I experimented with the 'Invert' adjustment layer and subsequently the gradient overlay in blending to achieve this effect.

I don't really know what people will think of this photograph, and I'm interested to know what feelings will it evoke in people who see this.

Will really appreciate your comments and critiques. :)

My honest feeling when first look at the picture is one of a family snap where the lens was fogging up, then the lab screws up your printing by gave you black white pictures (brutally honest). Family snaps are typically a happy ones, what you have done is the exactly opposite of how a family snap should be. No matter how scary or sinister an effect you're trying to create, it just won't fit with a picture of a mother with her daughter playing by the beach.

I arrived at something ominous and a tad sinister-looking. I experimented with the 'Invert' adjustment layer and subsequently the gradient overlay in blending to achieve this effect.

You definitely achieved it, very sinister of you to do it. Invert!?! I only use it for contrast masking. Keep trying but i think this experiment did not work out for me. When the sun is intense, then try to get closer to shoot more details and avoid including too much especially the sky.

Family snaps are typically a happy ones, what you have done is the exactly opposite of how a family snap should be. No matter how scary or sinister an effect you're trying to create, it just won't fit with a picture of a mother with her daughter playing by the beach.

agree with this.
with everything blur, BnW, n not much details, i dunno where/what the subject is!
my eyes just keep moving around the photo aimlessly.

sinister, maybe if the adult was holding a knife, raised in the air, den the child still innocently playing, den u got ur evil intent lolx

Status
Not open for further replies.