Their dreams after marriage

Status
Not open for further replies.

soons

Mar 22, 2007
be7c7d22.jpg

1. In what area is critique to be sought?
Processing and recovering details in the photo. I shot raw but during processing, it is either the groom's face being overbright by sunlight or bride's face being under-expose qhwn I tried to do some image processing. I am seeking for advise if I could improve the photo due to my noob skill. Framing wise, I am pretty confident I did a decent job, but I love to hear comments from more seasoned photographers as well.

2. What one hopes to achieve with the piece of work?
I was hoping to get a picture of them looking forward and think of their future, may it be their children, their house or their work. (Like you can add the following caption: "After our marriage, we shall go for honeymoon, buy a house at Sengkang, and have a scoccer team of children!") I hope to add a dreamy feel, but with determination.

3. Under what circumstance is the picture taken? (physical conditions/emotions)
This picture was taken indoor, with focal length at 50mm F4 to get sharp picture with bokeh background. However, I did a little mistake to shoot at ISO 800, should have shoot lower ISO and perheps bigger F-stop. Sadly, due to the harsh noon sunlight from the windows, Groom's face seems to be over-exposed.

4. What the critique seeker personally thinks of the picture
I quite love this picture alot and they love it as well. But due to my in-experience in photo editing, I wish to seek advice from photographer here on how to recover the groom's over-exposure. I will consider making it BW if colour cannot be recovered. >.<

Any C&C is welcomed. This is my first attempt doing pre-wedding shots and I do not wish to disappoint my God-sister and God-Sister-in-law. Thanks!!

the vignette is covering the groom
the colour is neither washed out enough nor saturated enough
focus seems off, delibrate soft focus?
leaves behind are distracting, they are more saturated than the bride

hope it helps :)

the vignette is covering the groom
the colour is neither washed out enough nor saturated enough
focus seems off, delibrate soft focus?
leaves behind are distracting, they are more saturated than the bride

hope it helps :)
Thanks. It is a delibrate soft focus. Ok, I am thinking of making this BW actually as I still cannot seems to recover the harsh lightings on groom's face. Being BW will make the leaves behind less standout also.

I wouldn't BnW, but maybe selectively desaturate the background a little. Also, tone down the grooms face abit (using the lasso tool in photoshop) and brighten the bride's if needed. You can also select both of them, then inverse and gaussian blur the background cos i dont think f4 gave enough bokeh. You can also use the blur tool to manueally blur the leaves and door a bit. That will add to the dream feel.

RE: taking the photo itself, like i said, lower f stop, higher shutter to compensate. maybe move slightly further from the door to put the plant on the right side of the pic, and have them look up, out towards the window/light instead. Kinda diaoz that they looking inwards to the future, symbolically speaking.

My two cents, hope it helped :)

maybe can PP more of the groom's face... pimples etc.

don't mind another noob's comment.

i notice both of them looking different direction by observing the eyes.

groom looking left and upwards, and bride looking straight up.

maybe they have different dreams ...

u shd really ask them to focus on the same object.

The most important thing to look at first is the composition.

honestly, too me this iznt really that great, with alot of dead space on the left and you cut off part of the guys arm. (try a square crop, it might work)

the guys face is also overexposed by the light streaming in, i think if you can do artificial vignetting, im sure you can dodge and burn abit

when we look at photos of humans, first thing we see is their eyes
there is a flaw on the bride's eye,

if you can correct it, show it,
if you can't, don't show it.

Point 6 and 7 point taken.
I do not have photoshop, will try it with GIMP.

Catchlights, I don't quite understand your critique, what flaw on bride's eye you are refering??

convergent strabismus, crossed eye

Frankly speaking, I don't really see that. Not sure about other people. :dunno:

But yeah, the first thing that distracted me was that their eyes were looking at significantly different angles, as #6 pointed out.

Frankly speaking, I don't really see that. Not sure about other people. :dunno:

But yeah, the first thing that distracted me was that their eyes were looking at significantly different angles, as #6 pointed out.
Hey thanks. I will take note of that pointer again if I had a chance to do their actual day wedding shoot. :)

hi

actually i thought this photo is somewhat ordinary. It could be shot easily.

Composition wise, there are some dead spaces as one forumer points out. Background not too clean. Nothing spectacular behind.

On subjects' posing, we can see they are just looking upwards. What they are looking at we do not know as its not in the picture.

However their expressions and emotions conveyed through the eyes alone are commendable. I think you saw it and hence you're posting here. This would be a good photo if for example they are looking at some digital signboard telling them they are next in line to ROM.

maybe if you shoot them looking into each other's eyes, it will evoke more of the emotions you're trying to portray?

right now they seem somewhat in their own world, not very connected like how a newly wed couple should be.

Hihi

hope u dun mind a newbie's comments & I do get it wrong at times ( actually most of the time :sweatsm:)

Actually, I like the soft focus and overexposure vignetting creates kind of a nice mood & feel. Like how weddings shld be :D

But like the above mentioned, the slightly different directions the bride and groom are looking at is a distraction tt's hard to overlook.

1. In what area is critique to be sought?
Processing and recovering details in the photo. I shot raw but during processing, it is either the groom's face being overbright by sunlight or bride's face being under-expose qhwn I tried to do some image processing. I am seeking for advise if I could improve the photo due to my noob skill. Framing wise, I am pretty confident I did a decent job, but I love to hear comments from more seasoned photographers as well.

Could try using layers for 2 different exposures one each for Bride & groom & using Masks to cover the parts of the photo that are under/over exposed. Its a pretty handy trick for noobs like us not good enuff to manipulate even lightings :D

Some gd tutorials here but there are tons out there
http://www.layersmagazine.com/exposure-blending-in-photoshop.html

2. What one hopes to achieve with the piece of work?
I was hoping to get a picture of them looking forward and think of their future, may it be their children, their house or their work. (Like you can add the following caption: "After our marriage, we shall go for honeymoon, buy a house at Sengkang, and have a scoccer team of children!") I hope to add a dreamy feel, but with determination.

Some articles have mentioned on composition techniques of creating space, if the subject is looking right then create more space on the right vice versa. Not sure about the effect of looking up though. Creating more space on top may help ?

The following may be helpful, but rules are meant to be broken eventually I guess :D

http://www.brighthub.com/multimedia/photography/articles/958.aspx

http://www.stjohnweddings.com/Jpgs/09/blue-glass/Hatt-Wedding-running.jpg

3. Under what circumstance is the picture taken? (physical conditions/emotions)
This picture was taken indoor, with focal length at 50mm F4 to get sharp picture with bokeh background. However, I did a little mistake to shoot at ISO 800, should have shoot lower ISO and perheps bigger F-stop. Sadly, due to the harsh noon sunlight from the windows, Groom's face seems to be over-exposed.

4. What the critique seeker personally thinks of the picture
I quite love this picture alot and they love it as well. But due to my in-experience in photo editing, I wish to seek advice from photographer here on how to recover the groom's over-exposure. I will consider making it BW if colour cannot be recovered. >.<

Any C&C is welcomed. This is my first attempt doing pre-wedding shots and I do not wish to disappoint my God-sister and God-Sister-in-law. Thanks!!

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.