the wet tripod

Status
Not open for further replies.

a9ape

Jul 21, 2004
Pardon me, but will anything detrimental happen to a tripod if its being soaked for an hour in water? :dunno:

I'm actually planning to do a panorama of the inside of a swimming pool under the water.

Any suggestions? :eek:

Have you thought of suspending your camera upside down in the water instead of submerging the whole tripod? eg using the reversible central column of the tripod, put your camera on, dunk the whole column underwater but with the legs outside (so you must shoot in a corner of some sort).

I think it depends alot on your tripod, some tripods use lubribricating agents that would be washed away by water. A bigger concern is your tripod head. Almost all ballheads WILL rust internally and fail if dunked in water.

how about getting a cheapo tripod and weigh it down with some weights? no need to use a good and stable tripod as the movements in the water are all dampened anyway. free IS everything :) .. if you are using Canon that is :)

what is the intention of your tripod being submerged?

you may want to ask this question at the Underwater Photography section. :)

Hey guys

Thanks so much for the ideas. My whole intention of submerging the tripod is to get a panorama pic of the interior of the swimming pool.

As the pool is an open air one, I don't think i'll be able to submerge my tripod upside down. Besides, the pool is so deep, i'll probably be submerging the whole tripod in the end...

I definitely will have to use a tripod for this one because i'm going to do the pictures at night and the light condition is extremely low....

what do you think if i wrap my tripod with plastic bags? I'll have to weigh my tripod down as it will float, don't i?

I am afraid the picture will tun out blur also. The tripod will be very light and unstable due the bouncy of the water.

Tripod mounted on water won't really damaged it. Just make sure the head is not in the water. Dismantle the legs of the tripod after immerse in water to wipe and leave to dry, apply light lubrication on the thread.
*based on Gitzo tripod design*

Mounting the coulmn upside down will never work, unless you want the legs of the tipod to be part of the paranomic image.

Tried wrapping my tripod with plastic bags before.... doesn't work... more hassle then benefits... gave up the idea and just used the tripod in water... weighing it down will be important...

Don't use an expensive head so it won't be that painful if it rusts....

why not just get those cheap $20 tripod? They made of plastic and aluminium, so will not rust.

if spoil also not so heart pain mah

Status
Not open for further replies.