The Wedding Photographer

UncleFai

Mar 10, 2010
Singapore
Over lunch, I overheard two unrelated tables (one in front, another to my left) discussing loudly the ongoing wedding photographer saga.

So is it cheapskate client refusing to pay or lousy photography? Any insider stories?

Over lunch, I overheard two unrelated tables (one in front, another to my left) discussing loudly the ongoing wedding photographer saga.

So is it cheapskate client refusing to pay or lousy photography? Any insider stories?

I just read that on the newspaper.

the photos that the bride shared, is really bad QC, these photos shouldn't see the daylight at all, some of the effects, it is so Orbit, spot color? cyan toning? really OMG!!!

anyway, on the positive side, this photographer is very good in capturing awkward poses and expression, he should go and do street photography or even paparazzi, I'm sure he will be famous and make more money than do wedding photography.

This story is trying to kill freelance photographer

Read some of the comments on her facebook post.

- Getting the RAW files won't help, probably the photographers shot it in JPG. and what is there to salvage from RAW when you eyes blink halfway?

- Name the company for what? such thing happen in many bridal shops very often.
most wedding bridal shops only focus on wedding portrait, aka studio shoot.
the actual day wedding day or ROM event coverage are outsource to freelance photographers. There will be one or two freelance photographers which the bridal shop engage, and the bridal shop will pass all the assignment to him, so this photographer will pick those he can take, and farm out those he can't take to his kakis. that is the reason why the bridal shop tell the customers they can't meet or know who is the photographer assigned to them.
usually the head photographers are doing full time, so standard are not too bad, but some of his kakis, standard not so good, especially those weekend warrior, many of them are really newbies photographers, they will be assign to shoot ROM during weekends, because the salary for such assignment is the lowest, seasonal or professional photographers usually don't want to take unless they really got noting to shoot.

I'm guessing thats how some of the $100-300 full day wedding photography assignments come about.

It sounds like the couple didnt think wedding photos were that important so they got the bridal studio to throw it in at little to no extra cost. Hence they were able to take it quite light-heartedly as it seems from their initial post.

I always tell my friends who are scouting for wedding photographers to agree internally how important these photos are to them. If important, to consider not scrimping too much cause ultimately you get what you pay for. If they choose to pay peanuts and expect the best, then they're on their own.

According to the NP article she posted the selected 21 photos on FB for "amusement" ...... What about the remaining 800+ photos she received? Maybe inside 暗笑 ....10 Hours for $350.... good deal if you ask me......... :)

According to the NP article she posted the selected 21 photos on FB for "amusement" ...... What about the remaining 800+ photos she received? Maybe inside 暗笑 ....10 Hours for $350.... good deal if you ask me......... :)
it looks like a outdoor ROM cum lunch reception at a hotel to me, event last 4 hours at most.

that also explains why he being assigned to shoot this event.

LOL am chio. hahahha

looks like a case of misrepresentation by the bridal shop. they promised a certain standard of wedding photography, so if they can't deliver, customer can complain. whether newbie photogs or weekend warriors do the photo shoot is irrelevant if they can produce good photos, the problem here is that the photos CMI. just compensate the customer and move on. and use better freelance photographers by paying them better next time.

looks like a case of misrepresentation by the bridal shop. they promised a certain standard of wedding photography, so if they can't deliver, customer can complain. whether newbie photogs or weekend warriors do the photo shoot is irrelevant if they can produce good photos, the problem here is that the photos CMI. just compensate the customer and move on. and use better freelance photographers by paying them better next time.

I think paying them better sounds better.

there are many tricks use in this industry.

usually bridal shops giving away many "free gifts", one of such "free gifts" is wedding photographers for the actual days or ROM events.
so do you thhink you can sue on something when you receive it for "free"?

Last edited:
Do you think they come here to scout for novice photogs?

there are many tricks use in this industry.

usually bridal shops giving away many "free gifts", one of such "free gifts" is wedding photographers for the actual days or ROM events.
so do you thhink you can sue on something when you receive it for "free"?

if it is part of the package deal, yes. without the free gifts, the customer may not be induced to sign the contract in the first place. that is the misrepresentation. in this case, the wedding photography was not a free gift but was part of the bridal package. the unhappy customer can also lodge a complaint to CASE.

another example. you go to a restaurant, which offers you a free dish as part of their dinner promo. you suffer food poisoning after eating their free dish. can you sue?

Last edited:
Do you think they come here to scout for novice photogs?

very likely. also likely that novice photogs here respond to their ads for freelance photogs.

if it is part of the package deal, yes. without the free gifts, the customer may not be induced to sign the contract in the first place. that is the misrepresentation. in this case, the wedding photography was not a free gift but was part of the bridal package. the unhappy customer can also lodge a complaint to CASE.

another example. you go to a restaurant, which offers you a free dish as part of their dinner promo. you suffer food poisoning after eating their free dish. can you sue?
lets see will this couple escalate their case. :)

Last edited:
Some bridal shop come here and find freelance photographer for Actual day wedding.
It is my personal experience.