The way home...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Werty

Mar 31, 2007
1568699607_6d4287c887.jpg

I took this photo with my friend's ixus when we were walking home. It was after rain, so there is a puddle of water there. The reflection seems nice, over the roof was the sun. It was taken around late afternoon.

C&C are welcome. I would like to know whether my composition for this photo is good... Thanx alot!

maybe if u could take the building and the reflection together?
coz i cannot really make out the building from the reflection.
i think i see crosses is it a church?

maybe if u could take the building and the reflection together?
coz i cannot really make out the building from the reflection.
i think i see crosses is it a church?

It is not a church but just someone's backyard. haha. took it at landed properties area... back alley of houses...

Anymore C&C for my composition? Thanx!

the rule of the thirds?
i cant really see where is the subject.

Dun really have rule of thirds applied. suject is in the middle =)

Pardon me bu what is this obsesstion with the rule of thirds?

well erm whats the obsession with the rule of thirds?

well it really isnt an obsession its more of a guideline. people have gone and done some studies and they concluded that more often than not if you follow the rule (go read up on it) it is one way to make your picture a little more interesting.

this is not hard and fast rule as photography is clearly about ones own style. however, i think as a newbie, i find that i must learn the rules first before i can intentionally break it to create an effect. this is my opinion.

I personally find that rule of thirds don't always give you better pictures. It depends on ur subject and what you trying to show in the picture.

Pardon me bu what is this obsesstion with the rule of thirds?

Ha!!! I asked this in many threads but no one answered......:dunno:

Perhaps the best place to ask would be "Newbies Corner". No offence, not that you are a newbie, but that's probably the best place to find answers to these questions.

well ive tried to answer this question(in my ealier post). i dont know if that would suffice. Then again as i always say, photography is a personal thing (unless your shooting for a client). The rule of thirds is just one of the guidelines. Some prefer adopting it some dont. the best way i think to see these "rules" is to try shotting the same thing with different framing to see how this "rule" come into play.
cheers mate

in any case, the rule of thirds came about because of the fact that people noticed that subjects placed breaking the thirds gave the picture a bit more oomph than centrally placed objects. this is true even when everyone practises it. somehow, when you place a subject centrally in the picture, the viewer's eye gets very bored very fast, and thus the picture is deemed uninteresting.

HOWEVER, this rule is more of a guideline for those starting out. if you have been shooting a long time or a lot, i guess you'd have noticed that there are many situations where the rule of thirds can be broken and thrown into a garbage bag. the most common way where you can break it is reflections. when there is symmetry, especially when it comes to extreme symmetry, it is definitely more than ok to place the horizon in the centre, for example.

there are also many ways of composing a picture, using leading lines to guide the viewer's eye, etc.

but back to the ts' picture. to me, the picture is not a good one. when i ask myself what do i see in the picture, i see a reflection on a badly maintained concrete floor in a puddle of water. another thing - the reflection is messy. the idea is not a bad one, but note the way you have placed the elements.

1) top left corner, the streak in the pavement CUTS the picture and runs diagonally out of the picture. to make things worse, the color is attention grabbing amidst the generally dark picture. so when one looks at the picture, one will be led OUT of the picture, and never see your reflection.

2) as i always mention, take note of the details. do you find the arrangement of the elements in the reflection itself aesthetically pleasing? i had mentioned earlier that it is messy. there is no clear idea to be formed from the reflection here. it is just a reflection, just that, and therefore it bores me, because i can see better reflections elsewhere.

i think it is not enough to merely say all these, and it happens that i remember eikin posting up a picture taken on the go? with a reflection in it using a puddle as well, put to good use; click to view.

some other links from a search done on flickr, that i found had roughly the same idea executed in a superior way:
link 1 - here the subject and idea is simple. keeping it simple works.
link 2 - extreme contrast in textures, color between reflection and non-reflection makes the picture

in any case, the rule of thirds came about because of the fact that people noticed that subjects placed breaking the thirds gave the picture a bit more oomph than centrally placed objects. this is true even when everyone practises it. somehow, when you place a subject centrally in the picture, the viewer's eye gets very bored very fast, and thus the picture is deemed uninteresting.

HOWEVER, this rule is more of a guideline for those starting out. if you have been shooting a long time or a lot, i guess you'd have noticed that there are many situations where the rule of thirds can be broken and thrown into a garbage bag. the most common way where you can break it is reflections. when there is symmetry, especially when it comes to extreme symmetry, it is definitely more than ok to place the horizon in the centre, for example.

there are also many ways of composing a picture, using leading lines to guide the viewer's eye, etc.

but back to the ts' picture. to me, the picture is not a good one. when i ask myself what do i see in the picture, i see a reflection on a badly maintained concrete floor in a puddle of water. another thing - the reflection is messy. the idea is not a bad one, but note the way you have placed the elements.

1) top left corner, the streak in the pavement CUTS the picture and runs diagonally out of the picture. to make things worse, the color is attention grabbing amidst the generally dark picture. so when one looks at the picture, one will be led OUT of the picture, and never see your reflection.

2) as i always mention, take note of the details. do you find the arrangement of the elements in the reflection itself aesthetically pleasing? i had mentioned earlier that it is messy. there is no clear idea to be formed from the reflection here. it is just a reflection, just that, and therefore it bores me, because i can see better reflections elsewhere.

i think it is not enough to merely say all these, and it happens that i remember eikin posting up a picture taken on the go? with a reflection in it using a puddle as well, put to good use; click to view.

some other links from a search done on flickr, that i found had roughly the same idea executed in a superior way:
link 1 - here the subject and idea is simple. keeping it simple works.
link 2 - extreme contrast in textures, color between reflection and non-reflection makes the picture

Thanx night86mare for your time writing such a long comment for me! This photo is somehow a random shot on the way home. Just find it interesting because of the sun reflecting in the water. Thanx again! I take note of my elements in my composition next time.

the first thing i notice is the pathway from the center left to the top, might want to omit that in your composition cause those pathway will draw more attention.

Status
Not open for further replies.