The Wait

Status
Not open for further replies.

fizzi87

Feb 12, 2008
Hi

This is my first time posting a picture.. So here goes..

The_Wait_by_fizzischorratti.jpg

What do you guys think? I'm looking for feedback of any sort, be it specific or general comments.

I took this at a bus stop somewhere in Clementi. I was walking past and realised the look on all the faces of the people waiting for the bus.

I wanted to portray boredom or blankness of emotion as seen on their faces, as we as singaporeans all know how tiresome and annoying it can be waiting for something to arrive, and the wait just seems neverending. I am not sure whether you guys can see that in the picture, although personally I do.

ISO 400
lens: 55mm
Aperture: f/5.6
Shutter speed: 1/400sec

Looking forward to your critique. Thanks!

the first and the second person in the pic surely are conscious of the photographer:think: if these ppl had been captured unawares, then the pic wud have emoted strongly:) still the black and white pic demands attention frm all viewers:thumbsup:if u had got more faces clearly and candidly,wud have been stunning:think:

hi fizzi87!

I personally don't get the feeling of boredom and/or blankness of emotion, maybe you can elaborate a little further on what about the image tells that story to you so it's easier to picture the idea you had behind the image?

I'm guessing that the first subject looks very blank and second subject, the older guy, seems exasperated? To me though he seems to be very conscious of your presence and is trying to cover up?

I think having a diagonal line of faces is a good idea, but I'm wondering if you take it at a slightly flatter angle? Coz the elderly woman and the guy in the cap and the remaining two men all seem to looking at you? And I think you'd have so much more impace if you catch them all gazing at a distance but not at you? Hope you get what I mean yea?

I think if you waited a little longer, there probably could have been a better moment.

i tink the use of dof is impt here, the choice of looking at the first or second man makes me wonder what am i suppose to focus on. to me i will choose the second man, despite the fact whether or not he is wary of the camera, i think that his action still conveys back to what your title mention - the wait.

if possible, a smaller aperture value can further isolate him from the rest works better in my opinion. subsequently the eye can then view the surrounding people's expressions.

black n white is a good choice, street is more of catching them at their most natural state, stealth is important too hahaha..

keep up the nice work

the first and the second person in the pic surely are conscious of the photographer:think: if these ppl had been captured unawares, then the pic wud have emoted strongly:) still the black and white pic demands attention frm all viewers:thumbsup:if u had got more faces clearly and candidly,wud have been stunning:think:

Haha.. I think they realised my presence just a few seconds prior to my clicking on the shutter.. So perhaps that might have killed the moment a bit. Perhaps I got to work on my stealth skills then.. Pull off a little ninja trick or two. Thanks for your feedback!

hi fizzi87!

I personally don't get the feeling of boredom and/or blankness of emotion, maybe you can elaborate a little further on what about the image tells that story to you so it's easier to picture the idea you had behind the image?

I'm guessing that the first subject looks very blank and second subject, the older guy, seems exasperated? To me though he seems to be very conscious of your presence and is trying to cover up?

I think having a diagonal line of faces is a good idea, but I'm wondering if you take it at a slightly flatter angle? Coz the elderly woman and the guy in the cap and the remaining two men all seem to looking at you? And I think you'd have so much more impace if you catch them all gazing at a distance but not at you? Hope you get what I mean yea?

I think if you waited a little longer, there probably could have been a better moment.

To me the part that portrays boredom the most is the 2nd man from the left.. He just seemed so fed up with waiting.. Whilst the 1st man has this blank face which I thought captured the blankness.. As for the diagonal line.. Do you mean it would've been better to take it at a more diagonal angle, or flatter? I'm assuming you mean take it at a more acute angle so as to block out the rest of them, and leave only the two men in the shot? Do correct me if I'm totally missing the point here..

Haha.. I agree I perhaps shouldve been a tad bit more patient.. It'd be difficult though to make sure they don't realise my presence and the camera pointing at them. Anyway.. thanks for the comment! Appreciate it.

I like it.

It does portray to me what you are saying.

It is only after reading what others have said do I notice that people are aware of you shooting.

To me the only people that are reacting to you taking the photo are those in the background.

Croping will not help the overall feel of the photo by taking them out (just unfortunate).

Nice attempt at the subject .... maybe do it again and again till people give up looking at you :think:

Cheers :)

i tink the use of dof is impt here, the choice of looking at the first or second man makes me wonder what am i suppose to focus on. to me i will choose the second man, despite the fact whether or not he is wary of the camera, i think that his action still conveys back to what your title mention - the wait.

if possible, a smaller aperture value can further isolate him from the rest works better in my opinion. subsequently the eye can then view the surrounding people's expressions.

black n white is a good choice, street is more of catching them at their most natural state, stealth is important too hahaha..

keep up the nice work

Thanks! Perhaps I should try to approach different bus stops and try to be more spy-like.. I just started taking pictures this year after seeing how my friend does wonders with his 400d.. Finding out that I really enjoy taking street and candid shots.. Although I must admit it is really difficult making sure I don't catch their attention.. And I will try a smaller aperture value and play around with the dof.. though i'm still figuring out how to know when to use what f stop.. I'll learn along the way I hope.. Thanks once again!

I like it.

It does portray to me what you are saying.

It is only after reading what others have said do I notice that people are aware of you shooting.

To me the only people that are reacting to you taking the photo are those in the background.

Croping will not help the overall feel of the photo by taking them out (just unfortunate).

Nice attempt at the subject .... maybe do it again and again till people give up looking at you :think:

Cheers :)

Hey thanks for your kind feedback! "maybe do it again and again till people give up looking at you".. Maybe I will next time. Worse comes to worst I'll just end up with a lawsuit for invasion of privacy of some sort.. Haha.. Thanks for your comments once again!

I'm assuming you mean take it at a more acute angle so as to block out the rest of them, and leave only the two men in the shot?

yep slightly more acute. with shallower depth of field like sprintist mentioned.

Thanks! Perhaps I should try to approach different bus stops and try to be more spy-like.. I just started taking pictures this year after seeing how my friend does wonders with his 400d.. Finding out that I really enjoy taking street and candid shots.. Although I must admit it is really difficult making sure I don't catch their attention.. And I will try a smaller aperture value and play around with the dof.. though i'm still figuring out how to know when to use what f stop.. I'll learn along the way I hope.. Thanks once again!

yup for sure, the other way to create more dof is to zoom in/telephoto. of course you get less subject but if you can focus on a single subject and his expression, why not?

this picture has lots of potential, leave it as it is anyway since its a street shot. Street journalism is very simple yet not as easy to achieve at the same time. It should be nailed right on, exposure, composition and angles. I think practice will be your best teacher :D

i myself liked street but seldom shoot it lately, i need a spark to start off again haha

its hard to take and not get notice esp when you are carry a huge cam. but nice work.. i can't pull off these. ppl just notices a big camera even 50m away!! haha

You got a correct angle and you get the depth of field in nice position. But I just feel that the depth of field is not depth enough, by showing the background people in not total blurr.

Part of it, You are shooting at time of 5:52PM, which I believe in Singapore is still bright and not tottaly dark, any reason why you are using ISO400 for this picture? The picture is not glossy and appears a bit noise in it.

I believe you are using 18-55mm kit lens.
You may want to try:
ISO 100/200
50mm
f1.8 or <f3.5
Tv mode in EOS400

If you can get the boredom emotion perfectly, I believe you can get good pics.
I never try this style before, I just use my imagination to recommend you shooting specs, i may be wrong but you may try it.

You got a correct angle and you get the depth of field in nice position. But I just feel that the depth of field is not depth enough, by showing the background people in not total blurr.

Part of it, You are shooting at time of 5:52PM, which I believe in Singapore is still bright and not tottaly dark, any reason why you are using ISO400 for this picture? The picture is not glossy and appears a bit noise in it.

I believe you are using 18-55mm kit lens.
You may want to try:
ISO 100/200
50mm
f1.8 or <f3.5
Tv mode in EOS400

If you can get the boredom emotion perfectly, I believe you can get good pics.
I never try this style before, I just use my imagination to recommend you shooting specs, i may be wrong but you may try it.

Haha the reason I used ISO 400 was because I didn't change the settings, as prior to that I was indoors.. I just took it out and snapped before they would be aware of me being there.. And I will keep those settings in mind.. Shall try that next time. Thanks for the advice!

Status
Not open for further replies.