The Viewsonic monitor from the MO...

Status
Not open for further replies.
SNAG said:
Just to check:

For those users of this monitor, do you realise that when you view the panel, you'll notice some *slight* discoloration of the panels?

I realise that if I view the panel straight on, the centre portion of the panel looks ok, but the sides look more pinkish compared to the centre. If I move my head around, the discoloration shifts.

Not sure if this is due to the viewing angles issue (I've heard that IPS panels are generally better than VA panels in this aspect.)

yes, I see something like that too.

No leh... mine looks perfect.

Calibrated with my spyder... old stuff, but hey.. my blacks are blacks! :D

wormz777 said:
No leh... mine looks perfect.

Calibrated with my spyder... old stuff, but hey.. my blacks are blacks! :D

hmm...... can you put a 0,0,0, black patch at about 90% to the side and edge of the screen,
and turn on and off your screen, how many percent would you estimate is the increase in brightness ?

Hmm... quite hard to judge leh...

What I did was to change my wallpaper to black.. then i on n off the screen...

Upon switching on, maybe one shade brighter ba.

SNAG said:
Just to check:

For those users of this monitor, do you realise that when you view the panel, you'll notice some *slight* discoloration of the panels?

I realise that if I view the panel straight on, the centre portion of the panel looks ok, but the sides look more pinkish compared to the centre. If I move my head around, the discoloration shifts.

Not sure if this is due to the viewing angles issue (I've heard that IPS panels are generally better than VA panels in this aspect.)

Hey SNAG,

I have never ever seen an LCD display that doesn't display hue shifts at all. The question is how much? do realise that the more perfect something is, the easier to find a flaw.

I believe that at this price point for a 20" wide screen, there is really none to compare.

As for the black issue, I am very sure that it's a calibration device issue. I hope all of you are using a neutral gray background as a wall paper.

It's a good gauge to see if your screen is too "warm" or "cool" and it helps to reset you eyes when working with color images.

I hope the rest of you are enjoying your new found colors and details in your old images.

Cheers,
nic

the black issue IS a profiling problem, I made it go away by setting both contrast and brightness to 66 and run simple profile with Eye Match 3.6

however there seem to be some "speckling" on the "glass", as if the LCD surface is not plain transparent.

hwchoy said:
the black issue IS a profiling problem, I made it go away by setting both contrast and brightness to 66 and run simple profile with Eye Match 3.6

however there seem to be some "speckling" on the "glass", as if the LCD surface is not plain transparent.

I wish it is, but I'll see how when nick comes over this week (this or next ?) I'll report again after that.

Or maybe I just set my standards too high :(

Gamut Labs said:
Hey SNAG,

I have never ever seen an LCD display that doesn't display hue shifts at all. The question is how much? do realise that the more perfect something is, the easier to find a flaw.

I believe that at this price point for a 20" wide screen, there is really none to compare.

As for the black issue, I am very sure that it's a calibration device issue. I hope all of you are using a neutral gray background as a wall paper.

It's a good gauge to see if your screen is too "warm" or "cool" and it helps to reset you eyes when working with color images.

I hope the rest of you are enjoying your new found colors and details in your old images.

Cheers,
nic

Hi Nic,

Glad to hear that reassurance. Other than this, the monitor's great. :)

I find this monitor great. It is used as a replacement for my 2-year old 23"Apple Cinema Display which is being sent to the service centre (it is a big disappointment in price and performance) cos the side of the Apple Display has about 1" of yellow cast and growing, imagine paying for 23" but has about less than 21" of usable space.

For this price the Viewsonic rocks and I have no complaint :thumbsup:

chngpe01 said:
I find this monitor great. It is used as a replacement for my 2-year old 23"Apple Cinema Display which is being sent to the service centre (it is a big disappointment in price and performance) cos the side of the Apple Display has about 1" of yellow cast and growing, imagine paying for 23" but has about less than 21" of usable space.

For this price the Viewsonic rocks and I have no complaint :thumbsup:
Time to get 2 x 30" ACD liao lah :thumbsup:

it was said that this monitor has no "internal scaling". so in windows when I select "monitor scaling" vs "graphics adaptor scaling" there would be no difference?

I'm quite afraid to buy LCD monitors, since I have the worst luck with them. Really not interested in getting a monitor with imperfections, and to also find out that I cannot exchange because of their terms and conditions.

I can only set mine to 60hertz, someone told me he set his to 100hertz, is that possible?
Beside 60, no other choice is visible

Gamut Labs said:
1) First of all, if you don't have a colorimeter, set to native 5400K. Looks yellowish at the beginning but your eyes will adjust to it soon enough. It is also closer to prints. 6500K is just wrong for me.
Agree that there is no such thing as too bright a monitor.

However, the current thinking is to calibrate the LCD at its native white point to maximise the monitor's ability to display all of its colore, etc. Alternatively its to set the calibrating temperature at 6500K. 5400K is there because of historical reasons.

I also just noted in Gretag Match 3.6 that for LCD the recommended is at 120 cd/m2 and native whitepoint. I am sure its a change from the earlier version of Match (I think)

firestone said:
I can only set mine to 60hertz, someone told me he set his to 100hertz, is that possible?
Beside 60, no other choice is visible

I can set mine unit to 75hz on the powerbook on analog. It's graphics card based.

Cheers,
nic

freelancer said:
Agree that there is no such thing as too bright a monitor.

However, the current thinking is to calibrate the LCD at its native white point to maximise the monitor's ability to display all of its colore, etc. Alternatively its to set the calibrating temperature at 6500K. 5400K is there because of historical reasons.

I also just noted in Gretag Match 3.6 that for LCD the recommended is at 120 cd/m2 and native whitepoint. I am sure its a change from the earlier version of Match (I think)

Agreed that native is the best, but i have to share working files so in order to come close in all displays, we must use a fixed color temperature.

6500K is too "bluish" for me...

Cheers,
nic

hwchoy said:
the native white point is whatever you said it in the menu right? i.e. 6500K or the other choices.
I think by native, they mean the monitor's untempered original temperature...:)

is there any way to get the closest to correct colours without getting calibration hardware?

i find 5400k to be too yellowish for me, and set it at 6500k with brightness and contrast at 70.

any advice?

Status
Not open for further replies.