The Viewsonic monitor from the MO...

Status
Not open for further replies.
yeah find it abit yellowish also....

must really calibrate?!

Got the monitor, and wow, it works like a charm.

Just to check, anyone managed to get DDC working with this monitor in i1 Match 3.6? Or that in the first place, it doesn't work??

rueyloon said:
ya, did it again with 120, but still the black point is just too bright. very obvious when you put it beside another monitor.... :|

mine still greenish!!! I just don't understand leh, looks more like EyeOne screwing up as the monitor is clearly able to produce a pure white when measuring the 6500K white point.

actually i got a bigger problem. i use 2 monitors (dell 24" and the viewsonic 21") with 1 graphic card. anyone got any idea how i can have 2 profiles for the 2 monitors in windows?

The traditional thinking is to calibrate to 6500K for monitors. However for LCDs some of the color management gurus are advocating calibrating at the monitor's native white point. If 120 cd/m2 is too bright bring the brightness down. I know of some people who are happy with 80 cd/m2 so that their prints are just right. YMMV

SNAG said:
Just to check, anyone managed to get DDC working with this monitor in i1 Match 3.6? Or that in the first place, it doesn't work??
Match at the moment supports only a limited number of monitor via DCC (or using the digital DVI connection for the profiling software to adjust your monitor buttons for you). There is a list somewhere on the Gretag site that shows which monitors are supported now.

freelancer said:
Match at the moment supports only a limited number of monitor via DCC (or using the digital DVI connection for the profiling software to adjust your monitor buttons for you). There is a list somewhere on the Gretag site that shows which monitors are supported now.

Thanks for the heads-up - I thought DDC might be able to work with this monitor.

IMHO, 80cd/m2 is just nice for me, 120cd/m2 just blinds me.

knoxknocks > you will probably need a video graphic card with "dualhead capability" (ie the ATI Radeon X1600 Pro that I am using) - only then will you be able to set 2 separate profiles for the 2 graphic connectors.

The easiest way to check if your card supports dual LUTs is to check if there are 2 graphic devices (ie, X1600 Primary, X1600 Secondary) detected in the Device Manager.

As for profile loaders, you can just Windows Color Applet to load the individual profiles for each card.

SNAG said:
Thanks for the heads-up - I thought DDC might be able to work with this monitor.

IMHO, 80cd/m2 is just nice for me, 120cd/m2 just blinds me.

knoxknocks > you will probably need a video graphic card with "dualhead capability" (ie the ATI Radeon X1600 Pro that I am using) - only then will you be able to set 2 separate profiles for the 2 graphic connectors.

The easiest way to check if your card supports dual LUTs is to check if there are 2 graphic devices (ie, X1600 Primary, X1600 Secondary) detected in the Device Manager.

As for profile loaders, you can just Windows Color Applet to load the individual profiles for each card.

ok thanks...i'm using an nvidia 7800GT which has dual DVI outputs. I'll check on the 2 graphic devices when i get home later

Try calibrating it at 100 luminance (EyeMatch 3.6) I find 120 too bright, when I take a walk to the kitchen, the wall tiles are reflecting light from my LCD. Though 120 is the recommended, 100 works good for me.

rueyloon, I realise the bright blackpoint is some how caused by EyeOne profiling. when you start the profile process where it deletes your existing profile, the black is REALLY black. some how after profiling and with the new profile loaded, the blackpoint is way too high.

I also tried the profiling in my graphics adaptor (nVidia FX5700) and I could not get any of the adjacent bars to merge.

hwchoy said:
rueyloon, I realise the bright blackpoint is some how caused by EyeOne profiling. when you start the profile process where it deletes your existing profile, the black is REALLY black. some how after profiling and with the new profile loaded, the blackpoint is way too high.

I also tried the profiling in my graphics adaptor (nVidia FX5700) and I could not get any of the adjacent bars to merge.

hmm........ then how ?

Guys Guys!

This is probably the first time I heard people complaining about a bright LCD!

1) First of all, if you don't have a colorimeter, set to native 5400K. Looks yellowish at the beginning but your eyes will adjust to it soon enough. It is also closer to prints. 6500K is just wrong for me.

2) I have no issues using the Optix, not asking all of you to buy one, but I've been trying to say that after testing all of them, Optix has been giving the most consistent results, with every display I have ever calibrated. Blacker Blacks, Whiter Whites, Neutral Greys.

3) Coloreyes is a great step up using your existing hardware colorimeter. I have tested it and LUT based profiling is more detailed then just RGB based. Coloreyes kit is bundled with the Optix XR hardware and there is a reason for that.

4) Rueyloon, I'll go over next week when we shift in to rowell.

It really is very bright and that means that you can tune it down and the panel can last you a longer time as it decay. can't complain about that can you?

Cheers,
nic

I am not complaining it is too bright, the problem is the profiling by EyeOne makes the black too bright! I know the monitor is capable of really-black blacks :)

now calibrating with trial ColourEyes with EyeOne Display2

rueyloon, you can tell that something is not right with your blackpoint setting if you play a widescreen movie, and the top and bottom band (without movie) is brighter than the black parts of the movie itself.

hwchoy said:
rueyloon, you can tell that something is not right with your blackpoint setting if you play a widescreen movie, and the top and bottom band (without movie) is brighter than the black parts of the movie itself.

hwchoy, actually this is good news :) so guess need to see if there is a way around this bug or shall we call it abnormally..

finally I got what I think is a good profile, at least white looks natural.

I put contrast and brightness at 66%, white at 6500K then run EyeOne Match 3.6 with the Easy option.

Just to check:

For those users of this monitor, do you realise that when you view the panel, you'll notice some *slight* discoloration of the panels?

I realise that if I view the panel straight on, the centre portion of the panel looks ok, but the sides look more pinkish compared to the centre. If I move my head around, the discoloration shifts.

Not sure if this is due to the viewing angles issue (I've heard that IPS panels are generally better than VA panels in this aspect.)

Status
Not open for further replies.