The View (HDR)

yinsheng

Mar 12, 2010
Singapore
HDR.jpg

1. in what area is critique to be sought?
Colour, angle, generally all photography aspects. I'm new and trying out new techniques.

2. what one hopes to achieve with the piece of work?
Getting to know HDR more, i've read that it works better with bright light sources. Thus I took picture of the view from my room window at night.

3. under what circumstance is the picture taken? (physical conditions/emotions)
At night with a tripod.

4. what the critique seeker personally thinks of the picture
I think my picture looks abit noisy and fake after i tried to clear up the noise and sharpen the image?

1st impression is that the image is soft...probably due to noise reduction...find the image a clutter...to improve this image, probably can crop the ample space on top and distracting parts on the left...horizontals....looks like a snap shot...

for hdr portion...I think you have to look into those areas that are overexposed....:)

this photograph doesn't look noisy to me - what you see here as pixellation should be jpg compression.

you have to understand what hdr is, it has to do with dynamic range, nothing to do with bright light sources. the thing is that when there is a bright light source (like the sun) then you will have a wide expense of dynamic range in the picture, simple as that. therefore hdr will be useful to help you "compress" the tonal range into something that can be presented on-screen.

i don't really care about noise, this picture looks natural enough to me, other than that problematic haloed tree in the foreground.

what is most problematic here is the composition. you said you took this view from your window at night. the photo says exactly that - "i stuck my lens at the window and took a shot", because there is nothing interesting going on here.

Okie, so i could better compose and crop the image?