The Unofficial Camedia C7070 Review is NOW Official

Status
Not open for further replies.

chancy

Dec 16, 2003
Northern Singapore
Visit site
Hello OlyFolks,

I'm very tired from rushing this review for those who're earnestly looking out for a local report of the C7070. The deadline has slipped consistently owing to work demands & family.

It's finally here :

http://home.pacific.net.sg/~cheeyean/Default.html

It's rather image intensive, so be patient with download times. Most certainly bear with any HTML bloopers since I'm doing away with QC to rush this review out. Sorry about not responding to PMs during this period.

A good rest is in order & I'll be lying low again :)

Enjoy! ... and if you're reading ... thanks Serene for your inputs !

For everything else, save your comments for my pillow :)

Cheers,

chancy, thanks for your brilliant efforts!! :D

:thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Chancy
Wow, a very professional review. :thumbsup:
If I recall correctly, the c5060wz does not allow internal flash in the super macro mode but the c7070 does. Chancy, pls correct me if I am wrong.

Best regards

thats a lot of effort put in. :thumbsup:

anyway, dun mind if i put down a few personal opinions.

The review is not detail enough for anyone looking into C7070. eg. the samples taken by C7070 EXIF data, size of SHQ pic, how many quality settings, size of RAW files, movie mode (some people buy digicams to use it as a videocam too), etc

the images of the C7070 r very dark, i can't really see very clearly of how this digicam looks like.

what about using FL36 flash instead of FL50? (hint: i have one)

another thing to note is that u can change the file size in Studio. click on the 3-circle icon (RGB looking thing) u will have tons of control over the RAW conversion process. thats how i 'upsize' my competition images to 7600x5400, u can downsize it too. there's also a tone curve control just like PS.

will also like to know hows the image quality processed by the diff Oly s/w. i think this shud make the review more unique. :)

just my 2 cts. keep it up!! in future if u have such review, can i join in the fun too? ;p

can't believe u bought the actual studio copy just for the review. i wud have uninstall & re-install it again. :sweatsm:

serene said:
Chancy
Wow, a very professional review. :thumbsup:
If I recall correctly, the c5060wz does not allow internal flash in the super macro mode but the c7070 does. Chancy, pls correct me if I am wrong.

Best regards

Hello Serene,

I tested the scenario you mentioned. The same behaviour of flash off at Super Macro mode is present in the 7070. I believe the reason is at extremely close distances (3cm), the relative position between the flash & lens barrel is such that the latter will block some light destined for the subject partially lighting it.

Normally, one would use a remote external flash or ring flash instead.

Hope this clarifies :)

Cheers,

nightpiper said:
thats a lot of effort put in. :thumbsup:

anyway, dun mind if i put down a few personal opinions.

Well, I certainly welcome your feedback, although I was hoping to rest on my laurels for a wee longer :) Anyway, since this is a challenging poser, I thought this thread would be the one I'll wrap up my day on.

nightpiper said:
The review is not detail enough for anyone looking into C7070. eg. the samples taken by C7070 EXIF data, size of SHQ pic, how many quality settings, size of RAW files, movie mode (some people buy digicams to use it as a videocam too), etc

You're right. It's uncomfortable reading questions on a camera review you've not completed on hand for week after week :) I gave up presenting the EXIF info to save some time. But all the test sample & gallery images are exported as EXIF JPGs, so for those who could go the extra mile, the shooting info is all there. But I'll see if I can find time to put in the info separately.

nightpiper said:
the images of the C7070 r very dark, i can't really see very clearly of how this digicam looks like.

what about using FL36 flash instead of FL50? (hint: i have one)

Well, I did not mean to replicate the lited look of the camera available elsewhere, hoping to let the shadow do its little bit of revealing form & curves. There should be plenty of detail in the shadows, I've accounted for some gamma differences by adjusting my Mac to 2.2 already. I'm afraid I have to refer you to Imaging Resource :)

nightpiper said:
another thing to note is that u can change the file size in Studio. click on the 3-circle icon (RGB looking thing) u will have tons of control over the RAW conversion process. thats how i 'upsize' my competition images to 7600x5400, u can downsize it too. there's also a tone curve control just like PS.

That's right, I've been doing that, downsizing all the time, used curves that for the VivoCity construction silhouette & the sepia filter for the conclusion C7070 shot with my E1 :)

nightpiper said:
will also like to know hows the image quality processed by the diff Oly s/w. i think this shud make the review more unique. :)

Will need more time, it will be highly subjective though.

nightpiper said:
just my 2 cts. keep it up!! in future if u have such review, can i join in the fun too? ;p

If all goes according to plan, I'm sure you'll have the opportunity :)

nightpiper said:
can't believe u bought the actual studio copy just for the review. i wud have uninstall & re-install it again. :sweatsm:

Call that a willing excuse :) Besides, I could never get to beat the 30-day tracking mechanism to do a re-install & run. I read from earlier posts here that Windows version have it easier :)

Cheers,

Images are very under exposed. One missing thing in the review, no specs on the camera-don't make presumption that reader know it already

oeyvind said:
Images are very under exposed. One missing thing in the review, no specs on the camera-don't make presumption that reader know it already

Hi Oeyvind,

Please read harder, I did not make any such presumptions and have stated up front in my review overview below, I have referred readers a to site that have such specs listings, isn't that the purpose of WWW ? ... The focus is on the handling & image quality ...

"A handful of quality online sources exist for reviews on Olympus' latest prosumer offering; of notable mention Imaging Resource, which in my opinion, performed a balanced and comprehensive assessment of the 7070. The information covered there is so comprehensive, you can use it as an operation manual :) Do consult that site for information not covered here."

"I will not replicate the specification list as sites mentioned have done a better job at it nor will the numbers game be played by reporting results from a stopwatch; instead my assessment of acceptable responsiveness is based on personal (subjective) tolerance limits. The video & audio capabilities of the 7070 will not receive coverage, a carryover from my long use of SLRs as still-image taking equipment; obviously, my OM4Tis & E1 can't do none of these, old habits I suppose ;-)"

I do not claim to be a photographyer of any calibre, but if you're refering to the shots by my E1 then, I was trying to achieve the low-key look, maybe I couldn't be better than what it should be, but the blacks do appear so on my Mac with gamma matched to a PC. For shots by the C7070, exposures were determined manually, any exposure issues is the result of my settings not of the camera.

I'll improve on my next review.

Thanks for your two liner :) I've just visited your site & the photos look good. How many of these are post processed (what functions were used) or are they straight from the camera ?

Regards,

Status
Not open for further replies.