The Ultimate Equipment carrying bag?

Dream Merchant

Staff member
Jan 11, 2007
To borrow a thread titling ... what do you guys think of these roller bags?

http://bigduffles.com/duffel_bags/monster_40/index.html
http://bigduffles.com/duffel_bags/mother_load_40/index.html

Is there anywhere in SG that sell bags like these at realistic prices? Realistic to me is under S$150.

Right now I use a large $20+ traveling suitcase either to carry 8-15kg of camera equipment, or studio lights (stands/tripod separate). Works like a charm but have been told it looks cheesy.

This one sounds nice, but looks small ... http://www.joediveramerica.com/page/JDA/PROD/bag/17-4760-07

i think you 20 dollar bag looks more solid than those shown here

Apologize in advance for my comments.

Does your appearance sink in well with those bags? Why bother about 1 or 2 or even some people say its cheezy. Does carrying our equipment in prada trolley qualifies us class A photographer? If really for good padding, perhaps consider a thinktank airport.

personally i dont think stuffing as much sh!t u have into a bag is a good idea. liken to eggs in 1 basket theory. not to mention the fricking weight will kill u if u have to end up lifting it.

anyway u can check out the saf duffel. get someone to buy it for u. i am not sure how big it is compared to your current one though.

The problem with the large cheapo suitcase is also that the zipper is weak. That's usually the first thing to give way, and mine's halfway there! :bsmilie:

3in1c, I'm one of the last to bother about how my equipment or bags look. Those who have been out shooting with me know LOL! Sides, like I said, my zipper's on the way to kaputz land.

Flip, I know, but it's not everything ... believe me, how I wish it could be, and still be manageable by one person. Right now it's re-arrangement and seeing what can be done. Maybe the 36 incher rather then 40 ... :think:

The problem with the large cheapo suitcase is also that the zipper is weak. That's usually the first thing to give way, and mine's halfway there! :bsmilie:

3in1c, I'm one of the last to bother about how my equipment or bags look. Those who have been out shooting with me know LOL! Sides, like I said, my zipper's on the way to kaputz land.

Flip, I know, but it's not everything ... believe me, how I wish it could be, and still be manageable by one person. Right now it's re-arrangement and seeing what can be done. Maybe the 36 incher rather then 40 ... :think:

a smaller bag sounds good too... you could get those cheapo motorcycle rubberband like hooks to support your zipper too

This is what I have been bringing to on-location shoot...and many of my acquaintances have pretty much the same way of transporting their equipment too... only one or two use proper suitcases like the LightWare brand. If you're interested, that's a Prestar trolley (RUBBEL WHEELS! noise free!) and the two carts are from Toyogo - bottom cart has 4 strobes with the power cables and the top cart has modifiers and all. The ones stacked on top are stands etc.

Essentially, am not into bags.. I need fast and hassle free deployment and packing up.

This is what I have been bringing to on-location shoot...and many of my acquaintances have pretty much the same way of transporting their equipment too... only one or two use proper suitcases like the LightWare brand. If you're interested, that's a Prestar trolley (RUBBEL WHEELS! noise free!) and the two carts are from Toyogo - bottom cart has 4 strobes with the power cables and the top cart has modifiers and all. The ones stacked on top are stands etc.

Essentially, am not into bags.. I need fast and hassle free deployment and packing up.

That's a great way to go Rendition! It reminds me of one associate who always looks for a supermarket trolley at shopping center shoots and uses that to cart everything! :bsmilie:

I did consider the trolley option, but I wanted to reduce the weight of the transportation equipment itself, hence, the huge suitcase. So far I do one large suitcase which houses everything lights, stands separate bag, then I dump the tripod and stand bag atop the suitcase. Camera bag gets slung and long tubes goes over the other shoulder. Alternatively if there's an assistant, the camera bag, stand bag, tripod and other long stuff gets bungeed on a very compact and light foldable metal trolley.

Right now I use a large $20+ traveling suitcase either to carry 8-15kg of camera equipment, or studio lights (stands/tripod separate). Works like a charm but have been told it looks cheesy.
get a better quality suitcase.

I did consider the trolley option, but I wanted to reduce the weight of the transportation equipment itself, hence, the huge suitcase. So far I do one large suitcase which houses everything lights, stands separate bag, then I dump the tripod and stand bag atop the suitcase. Camera bag gets slung and long tubes goes over the other shoulder. Alternatively if there's an assistant, the camera bag, stand bag, tripod and other long stuff gets bungeed on a very compact and light foldable metal trolley.
As much as I don't enjoy bringing everything I have, unfortunately, 90% of my on-location assignments require me to bring whatever you see - it's almost the bare minimum. That remaining 10%, for very small assignments or... a quickie LOL, the lightest is with a tube bag that comes with Elinchrom kit set for me to carry 2 strobes, 2 collapsible stands and one Domke F-2.

and FYI, the trolley, bungee cords and Toyogo carts cost me just about $100 and I bet it's gonna last me for awhile.

get the saf duffel. two or three will settle your problem. then u have to think of how u gonna carry all those junk around. :lovegrin:

get the SAF duffel bag...think it should be very cheap...plus can use credits.. :bsmilie::bsmilie:

DM, trolley (goods cart) is good when you have your own transport vehicle. btw, the trolley rendition recommend is the office use type, very silent, usually security guard will not stop you, not those use in wet market which I can heard you coming from two blocks away.

the suitcase with wheels is good when you travel by cabs, but good quality case don't come cheap, another consideration option is the foldable pull cart like this.
629329.jpg

i use the SAF duffel. 20+ credit. the new design much better .

Thanks for all the suggestions guys. :)

>Rendition and Catchlights ... yes, trolley is good when have own vehicle. I already have a very compact metal trolley (thanks for the suggestion Catchlights! :)) which can take quite a bit, so I use that to strap the camera bag (maybe will just sling cam bag afterall), light stands and tripod, blueprint tubes etc. That makes a total of two things to drag - 1 large suitcase, and 1 small trolley. That's about as compact as I have been able to make it. Other stuff like large boards etc still have to hand carry lor. Boh pian.

Flip had a point - even if I got one of those longer super big cases from the US and put everything in including light stands and tripod, I probably won't even be able to lift it, let alone carry up staircase etc. As Rendition mentioned, I too don't enjoy bringing so much things, but it's bare-bones necessary.

Some mentioned SAF duffel bag. I did a couple of searches and found a few discussions, but I can't find an image. Also, can it be bought at Beach Road army stores there? I don't know anyone in Army at the moment unless I post up in the services wanted section, if asking people to buy SAF equipment is allowed. :sweat:

So far my conclusion is: the most obvious choices would be a better suitcase, probably something all black or have a peek at the bag the Studio Outfitters have. And my current compact metal trolley.

Does anyone know the dimensions of the SAF duffel bag with wheels? Thinking of getting one to bring some light stands overseas.. I was wondering if it fits the airline luggage restrictions. How heavy is it anyway?

Thanks for sharing Aloy.

This looks good, but I have to wait to find out the internal dimensions:

http://www.thestudiooutfitters.com/store/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=70&products_id=320

I have this bag too.. but I bought the unbranded China version. Tough as hell... And yes Sausage, they check in just fine.. even on AirAsia and Tiger. Carried 3 heavy duty light stands and ton of other gear...

Last edited: