The Tree [first HDR attempt]

Status
Not open for further replies.

dingzyangz

May 8, 2008
Normally, I don't do hdr. But when I walked past this particular junction, I foresee myself doing hdr for the first time. The sky was dark and gloomy. The water patch was a result of an heavy afternoon showers.

1) There are 3 main things in the composition. The tree, the sky and the reflection. How is the composition here?

2) I also lowered the saturation and increased the contrast. How is the treatment of the picture to show the gloominess?

Thanks for viewing.

2829787466_38e82ed9bf_o.jpg

If I could see a little more green, it would be great. My green here is the grass colours, not the green of flora.

:D

point taken... guess might be individual liking ba... some prefer more green but some prefer colourless. I was also choosing btw the colored one and the color-less one... I liked the color-less one more. :)

If I could see a little more green, it would be great. My green here is the grass colours, not the green of flora.

i'm going to disagree here. i think green, happy grass in the midst of a storm would really just ruin the mood.

dingzyangz - i'm not so sure whether hdr is actually warranted here - could we have a look at the 0ev picture, since the lighting here is a tad ambiguous.

the scene has a lot of potential, and you have given a rather good treatment of it, but there are still some things that i cannot agree with here - understandably due to constraints you may not be able to get the whole reflection, but i think central composition might actually work here, and the bottom left corner where the puddle edge is shown.. i would prefer it to not be included. for some reason it distracts me.

point taken... guess might be individual liking ba... some prefer more green but some prefer colourless. I was also choosing btw the colored one and the color-less one... I liked the color-less one more. :)

I agree. I would even desaturate the green more. I do like the idea of the reflection, sad it isn't complete. Maybe a few steps to the left had helped? I suggest you crop away the incomplete reflection and put the tree in the centre. The single tree surrounded by clouds works for me.

the bottom left is the edge of the pothole... hmmm... i should have removed it. :(

reason for the hdr is to bring back the details of the clouds... the dark clouds were really threatening and does adds to the gloomy feel. on top of that if i were to expose for the clouds, i would lose the foreground details.

thanks for the comments so that i can see from other's perspective. :)

0ev picture below
2833459888_5293fa2b0f_o.jpg

i'm going to disagree here. i think green, happy grass in the midst of a storm would really just ruin the mood.

dingzyangz - i'm not so sure whether hdr is actually warranted here - could we have a look at the 0ev picture, since the lighting here is a tad ambiguous.

the scene has a lot of potential, and you have given a rather good treatment of it, but there are still some things that i cannot agree with here - understandably due to constraints you may not be able to get the whole reflection, but i think central composition might actually work here, and the bottom left corner where the puddle edge is shown.. i would prefer it to not be included. for some reason it distracts me.

yes, looks like it is a good use of hdr here. although a gnd mounted would suffice as well.. :devil:

haha... thanks! i wanted to buy.. but out of stock in AP and CP in moving out of peninsular plaza! grrr...

yes, looks like it is a good use of hdr here. although a gnd mounted would suffice as well.. :devil:

almost missed out ur comments... sorry bro.
yes... agree that the reflection would be awesome if it was complete. well.. that's life i guess... nothing is perfect. haha. should have brought more water bottles and added more water myself. indeed, i agree that a single tree with the clouds would have already made it a complete picture.

but i wanted a slightly more different compo... a foreground which is the reflection to show that it rained. the subject which is the tree and hdr to show the threatening clouds. i guess most pictures would show a lone tree with different background. i hope it worked well. :)

thanks for ur suggestion... now i really wished i had taken a few more steps to the left to see. :(

I agree. I would even desaturate the green more. I do like the idea of the reflection, sad it isn't complete. Maybe a few steps to the left had helped? I suggest you crop away the incomplete reflection and put the tree in the centre. The single tree surrounded by clouds works for me.

By playing with the Shadow/Highlights Tool in Photoshop and applying it over a few rounds on your picture, you'll be able to bring out more details from the sky and foreground. After you bring out the details, you can use the saturation & contrast adjustments to increase the colour saturation and contrast so the image looks less flat. The results can be quite dramatic, do give it a try. I've made a sample from your picture, do let me know if you want me to put it up. More catered to my liking i would say, this kinda processing may not appeal to others though. :) Nice try on the HDR

Last edited:
By playing with the Shadow/Highlights Tool in Photoshop and applying it over a few rounds on your picture, you'll be able to bring out more details from the sky and foreground. After you bring out the details, you can use the saturation & contrast adjustments to increase the colour saturation and contrast so the image looks less flat. The results can be quite dramatic, do give it a try. I've made a sample from your picture, do let me know if you want me to put it up. More catered to my liking i would say, this kinda processing may not appeal to others though. :) Nice try on the HDR

i once read an article lamenting the fact that there is too much dramatic landscapes these days. the author wrote about how she was sick and tired of having beautiful dancing clouds that spoke volumes, brilliant colors that threw the eyes into disarray.. she just wanted a quiet picture that she could feel moody about.

not every picture needs to be saturated and vibrant and full of drama. :)

didn't tried that though... will try and let you know which one looks better. ;)
I think a 0 ev with another -2ev may be sufficient.:)

no problem... pls post so that we can have a open discussion.

i was feeling moody due to the bad weather thus such desaturated picture was produced. a picture definitely can tell how the photographer feels at that moment. hahaha. if i was happy that day, i might not even noticed this scene and have gone for colors. :)
i once read an article lamenting the fact that there is too much dramatic landscapes these days. the author wrote about how she was sick and tired of having beautiful dancing clouds that spoke volumes, brilliant colors that threw the eyes into disarray.. she just wanted a quiet picture that she could feel moody about.

not every picture needs to be saturated and vibrant and full of drama. :)

yup... definitely the b/w... haha. but a tad too dramatic and surreal for me. :)
but its pretty amazing...

Override2Zion: you might wanna share what did you do to the first pic?

Last edited:
Normally, I don't do hdr. But when I walked past this particular junction, I foresee myself doing hdr for the first time. The sky was dark and gloomy. The water patch was a result of an heavy afternoon showers.

1) There are 3 main things in the composition. The tree, the sky and the reflection. How is the composition here?

2) I also lowered the saturation and increased the contrast. How is the treatment of the picture to show the gloominess?

Thanks for viewing.

2829787466_38e82ed9bf_o.jpg

i like it. it does convey the dull, solemn tone. and i like how the details of the clouds has been brought out using HDR.

:)

yup... definitely the b/w... haha. but a tad too dramatic and surreal for me. :)
but its pretty amazing...

Override2Zion: you might wanna share what did you do to the first pic?

interested to know what was done as well...I like the punchy effect, this picture looks great in B&W.;)

ah... thanks bro! :bsmilie:
i like it. it does convey the dull, solemn tone. and i like how the details of the clouds has been brought out using HDR.

:)

haha.... much anticipation. :)
interested to know what was done as well...I like the punchy effect, this picture looks great in B&W.;)

Status
Not open for further replies.