The travelling snappers

Status
Not open for further replies.
S

Snappy

Hi all, I'm new to this forum and photography, nice to meeet you all!

I have one question for all the SLR and compact cam users out there. When you guys travel abroad, which camera do you usually carry around with you asuming that you have both compact and SLR???

SLR take better pix but is bulkier and can be a hassle to some. Compact is easier to carry around whether in the crowded street or the jam packed bullet train, but less powerful than the SLR.

Thanks for killing my curiosity!

Your id sounds familiar but your post count is only 1. Anyway, that does not matter to me.

For traveling, if you want to take artistic photos, eg mountain-with-bird-flying-in-the-sky kind of shots, then you should carry SLR and the big guns. On the other hand, if you just want to take snap shots, See-I-have-been-there kind of shots, then a compact cam is better and more convinent.

But I bet you will end up carrying BOTH the SLR and the compact cam. Singapore symptom. :bsmilie:

Snappy said:

I have one question for all the SLR and compact cam users out there. When you guys travel abroad, which camera do you usually carry around with you asuming that you have both compact and SLR???

SLR take better pix but is bulkier and can be a hassle to some. Compact is easier to carry around whether in the crowded street or the jam packed bullet train, but less powerful than the SLR.

I guess it depends pretty much on what kind of pictures you wanna take. I would just carry a SLR for general shooting. The lenses I carry will pretty much help me decide on the type of picture I want to take.

I guess if you are talking abt crowded places ( which i particularly hate) I would probably just go digital as in normal digital cam, not DSLR.

Guess its just a personal preference.

i shoot with my SLR,usually the smallest one (nikon F601)
not that much bigger than a compact camera,but with all the manual controls u need)
lens is usually just a 35mm

no compact cam for me...
slr and dslr and consumer/prosumer digicam i will bring.
if i have them all

reasons is that i would sacrifice a bit of my energy to get more versatility with the slr system.

for now, just the slr..hehe

In 2000, i went up Kinabalu with an EOS50+28-135IS. Ok lah, moderately heavy. The setup also brought me to South Africa, tho i was more worried about crime than weight over there.

Recently visited Jakarta (day of Marriot bombing) with EOS 10D, EOS50, 16-35, 15/2.8FE, 35/2, 50/1.4, 85/1.8 and 75-300, plus a film P&S, the Ricoh GR1V. Singaporean symptom.

Really depends on how obsessive you are in your photography.

Snappy said:

For me, I started with the SLR. I find that I took more trouble to compose the pictures as there is more control and easily accessible. It helps that you are adjusting while you're composing thru the view finder.
Then I got my Digicam Olympus C3030. You tend to shoot thru the LCD display. Tend to leave it at full auto. The pictures turn out very well but I think the SLR ones were slightly more interesting with more play in the techniques and composition.
Then I got the Ricoh GR1 (one of the better p&s cameras). This is small and light, Useful for crowded place, night out etc. The night shots were great. BUt due to me being pampered with a zoom lens previously, I am struggling with the 'use your feet to compensate for the zoom' technique.

Hence, now my formula is:
My wife will take the digicam, I will bring the GR1. If I think the trip will have some opportunities for outdoor, I'll bring my SLR. Actually, I hope to get a DSLR when Canon releases a model that is between 10D and 1D.

So, there is no one camera to suit all situations/trips. Normally the qn is whether to bring the SLR or not. The other two are small and light. I think with the SLR, a versatile lens should be sufficient. The current Canon 28-135 is very suitable.

Cheers

I only frequent places like cities or towns where it does not get dirty by just getting around. Also, as I am using a manual focus SLR, weight is not an issue. As such, so I bring along my SLR, and a PnS as backup for trips abroad. For the SLR, a suggested combination of 28 + 50 + 85/100 + a small flash. For the PnS, a 35. Every lens has at least a f2.8 aperture setting. Weight is approximately 1.5kg in total.

BTW, it does not mean that a PnS is less powerful, only less versatile. Some have mentioned the excellent Ricoh GR1 or 1V. For me, it is the Contax T3, which I have found it to outdo most SLR lenses at 35mm. There is no shortage of praise of these two range of cameras on the internet, and you can easily search for more info on your own.

Status
Not open for further replies.