The toughness of Compact Flash

Status
Not open for further replies.

tomshen

Feb 20, 2002
Singapore
Once upon a time I have a 128MB CF. One day could not find it, searched everywhere still no clue. Later remembered might be in the shorts which I just washed with a washing machine. And now!!! Found it!!! Must have been a great bath!!! Then insert into my camera and on the power ...

wah, still working, solidly! :bsmilie:

What's the brand? Solid! :thumbsup:

Not unheard of... heard another anecdote related by someone else that his CF card was dropped into a pail of water. he quickly took it out but it was dripping wet. He blew dry it using a hair dryer and well, it still worked. :)

CF cards are electronic, with no moving parts. It's essentially a PCB with a connector and some flash memory chips on it, in a casing. So they are very hardy. I always love to demonstrate the CF card's hardiness by purposely throwing them on the floor in front of my friends. :D

Regards
CK

Originally posted by ckiang
CF cards are electronic, with no moving parts. It's essentially a PCB with a connector and some flash memory chips on it, in a casing. So they are very hardy. I always love to demonstrate the CF card's hardiness by purposely throwing them on the floor in front of my friends. :D

Regards
CK

witout crucial pics inside of course? ;p

Regards
CK

Haha... Abit OT but I do the same thing too... with my Nokia 5210 hp.

Regards
CK

I had a scary experience 2+ yrs back. When I was at the 3rd storey of a building taking a pix of some frens below, I had to change my CF. The 32Mb Kingston (with pix in it) slipped out of my hands and fell onto the concrete ground below. And no loss.
Just a little bit of scratches on the CF surface.
:what:

Originally posted by Meanie
Haha... Abit OT but I do the same thing too... with my Nokia 5210 hp.

oh no bragging rights? I threw my me45 down a stairwell and heard a nice polyphonic percussion, by the time I reached the bottom the caller had hung up..

Regards
CK

won't short ciruit meh?

then why hp (also no moving part) once dropped into water will die?

CF is more likely to fail electronically rather then from seismic shock. Saw a < 1 year old hagiwara 128mb fail for no apparent reason. Owner was using it for file transfers and carrying it naked without any protective casing.
ie. its not indestructable.

But, yeah, its pretty tough.
;)

denizenx> Had the me45 for a while. Very tough phone. Dropped it numerous times and it always survives. Even threw it a few times.
:D

Originally posted by Wai
won't short ciruit meh?

then why hp (also no moving part) once dropped into water will die?

HP is fully powered. The CF card is not powered when out of any device. Dunk a motherboard into water and it will survive too.

Regards
CK

HP is fully powered. The CF card is not powered when out of any device. Dunk a motherboard into water and it will survive too.

Regards
CK

oh....

can u try dump your D100 into water WITHOUT battery?

won't spoil rite? :D :D

Originally posted by Zplus
denizenx> Had the me45 for a while. Very tough phone. Dropped it numerous times and it always survives. Even threw it a few times.
:D
why drop it? THROW! still using it... the SIM card dying but the hp going strong... but the speaker *is* getting softer haha

Originally posted by Wai
oh....

can u try dump your D100 into water WITHOUT battery?

won't spoil rite? :D :D

you can u know... and if u dry it thoroughly before u use it, and assuming the water is clean, the camera will be fine, same for the handphone..

I am one of those who take apart and wash my keyboards last time...

smartmedias die by weird reasons.. I left 2 in my wallet hot and squashed no probs.. let the wallet on my AC adaptor next morning both habis...

Originally posted by denizenx
you can u know... and if u dry it thoroughly before u use it, and assuming the water is clean, the camera will be fine, same for the handphone..

I am one of those who take apart and wash my keyboards last time...

i tried take out all the keys one by one and wash

but after they are dried and i put back the keys....suddenly cannot work!!! argh

Originally posted by Wai
i tried take out all the keys one by one and wash

but after i dried and put back the keys....suddenly cannot work!!! argh
I unscrew the case, take out the whole pcb and use a rubber hose and scrub (lightly)... then flick off excess water and leave to dry on my monitor top...

Status
Not open for further replies.